Thread: Beacon management

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Beacon management

The logic with beacons as I see it is you place a beacon so you can find a location but you dont want the map or the personal compass cluttered with beacon icons so you need to switch some of them off.

The problem at the moment is to activate a beacon you have to be close to it to use the C menu and so need to be able to find it in the first place. This defeats the purpose of beacons since you can't find them easily unless they are active so bottom line is you cannot afford to switch any beacons off.

In the map you have a list of all active beacons. When you place a beacon it is inactive and does not show on the map or in the list or the compass so you cannot find an inactive beacon this way.

I would propose for gameplay logic it makes more sense if all beacons are listed in the map whether active or inactive and they can be remote activated to produce a compass icon and a map icon from the list in the map screen as needed, when its name as set by the player informs the player of its purpose.
    Last edited by boolybooly; 14-07-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea boolybooly.
    I would say these changes should be possible from a building which the player has to make.
    A panel located near a powered radar maybe (in the same grid or in the same power network).

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good idea Menzagitat. Alternatively it could give a purpose to the big beacon, like a master beacon, powerful enough to transmit to the small beacons, with a control interface like the building terminal, or another section inside the building terminal interface which gives access to the list of inactive beacons to activate them if a big beacon is connected to the building. Hows that sound ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I find the smal, self-powered Solar Beacons more than sufficient for all my beaconing needs. Aside from that cool laser beaming into the air, I just don’t see a use for the large beacon.

And yes, I first read this as “bacon management” and thought “Managinf bacon is easy, just eat it.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    I find the smal, self-powered Solar Beacons more than sufficient for all my beaconing needs. Aside from that cool laser beaming into the air, I just don’t see a use for the large beacon.

And yes, I first read this as “bacon management” and thought “Managinf bacon is easy, just eat it.”
    I briefly considered a large beacon for my airship. Very briefly, as 10k weight for something that only has a light beam AND power consumption to distinguish it from a small solar beacon is... silly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Smoo View Post
    I briefly considered a large beacon for my airship. Very briefly, as 10k weight for something that only has a light beam AND power consumption to distinguish it from a small solar beacon is... silly.
    Bah, it's just excessive and unnecessary weight, why let that stop you? It makes a really cool nose cone for an airship, with a fun beam shooting out of it!

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post

It was hard to resist the temptation to make an accidental on purpose typo but I have my reputation as a serious beta tester to consider...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boolybooly View Post
    It was hard to resist the temptation to make an accidental on purpose typo but I have my reputation as a serious beta tester to consider...

That explains it... you were thinking it, that's why I read it. Well played.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest that the map screen be able to togle bacon visibillity... an added function to the terminal with a master beacon is also a decent idea adding function s to that terminal to make it more usefull is good

Post Thanks / Like
    The easy fix is to add a system for adding waypoints on the map. That way all of the beacons can be off on your compass unless you select one. Same thing for points of interest such as wrecks, crashed space ships and monoliths.

I would also rather see a HUD-style compass instead of the 2-dimensional mess that it is in its current state. Have the waypoint hover in front of you nearly transparent with an arrow and the distance to arrive. And the ability for whatever you named your beacon to show up on the HUD compass. i.e. "Alpha Base 3k".

Like so:

Last edited by Xaosmaster; 18-09-2018 at 01:41 PM.