Thread: Inventory management suggestions.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Inventory management suggestions.

These are my fresh impressions from first playthrough for a while.

I am missing a way to single click transfer a stack, it should be possible with a modifier key like shift / ctrl / alt which are already used for 100x /10x /split stack on drag and drop transfers.

IMHO if you are using a modifier key you should not need to drag and drop, just clicking once should make it happen. I know it sounds lazy but double clicking and drag and drop is too much like hard work when you have to do it repetitively ! It will play better and make a better impression if its more ergonomically refined. The example which springs to mind is factorio which has a bunch of conventions for loading and unloading turrets and cargo inventory to and from crates.

So for example transferring 100 stack would be shift + LMB single click. (Currenty you can double click the stack or drag and drop the stack without using +shift so the +shift modifier is completely superfluous.)

Likewise transferring 10 would be ctrl+LMB single click (or 50 alt+LMB).

I would also like to see, when you drag and drop a stack with LMB, using ctrl+RMB drop 10x stacks under the cursor holding the stack or alt+RMB drop half the stack.

It could also do with a way to move all stacks of the same type such as shift+RMB and another one is a button to move all contents of container, for which you can thank Empyrion as they have an arrow which does this on the UI for any container, its very quick and easy to use.

Continuing the theme of ergonomics, F should get you out of inventory and build as it is the entry and exit key for containers and the context doesnt matter if you are just trying to exit. You can already switch between Inventory and Build which is good.
    Last edited by boolybooly; 14-07-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention it would be helpful if when dragging a stack with LMB if you can drop single items beneath the cursor with an unmodified RMB click. e.g. drag using LMB and drop single items using RMB and drop ten items using ctrl+RMB and drop half items using alt+RMB.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It just occurred to me that it would be very useful if the ctrl and alt conventions could be extended to making orders from the printers.

So if you press the ctrl key then click the arrow it adds 10 units to the order, if you press alt it adds 50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boolybooly View Post
    I am missing a way to single click transfer a stack
    It could also do with a way to move all stacks of the same type
    Also these actions should be configurable.

@Cranebals developers. This was asked many times. I know there was a time when only drag and drop was possible and Caleon suggested the double click to make things easier.
    At that moment you could have analyzed and made an even better system.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Configurable would be best, agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I feel that Factorio has some of the best inventory and crafting mechanics I've seen; I would not be regretful in any way if PN outright stole them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boolybooly View Post
    I am missing a way to single click transfer a stack
    It could also do with a way to move all stacks of the same type
    Can I shift click? No, this is the double click game

Post Thanks / Like
    I really would kill for item sorting. I'd like to arrange my 20+ large containers into specific materials or items only, or a method of selecting which items can go into which containers.

Post Thanks / Like