Thread: Aquatic Gameplay?

Post Thanks / Like

Aquatic Gameplay?

I've noticed that in the forums not many people have suggested or mentioned anything about aquatic biomes/gameplay.

I'm sure planets will have oceans may not always be of water but of something liquid.
    It would be really nice to have underwater bases and maybe even built bridges or pipelines from oceans to bases and things like that. It would be interesting to see if you can build ships and submarines and to add a challenge a pressure indicator could determine whether the vehicle you built can withstand certain depths. Many open world games like these don't really touch up on aquatic aspects of the game, this could give planet nomads an edge over the others in that regard. Hey, maybe you can have underwater wrecks and some legendary underwater mythical creatures which you can hunt down. "Call me Ishmael."

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there's a pretty simple reason for not much word around water, and that is its really hard to code. But the devs said they did not gave up on water, so we might enjoy it in later versions.
    Legendary underwater creatures sound quite nice indeed

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great but as fura said: Something like that is incredibly hard to code. You'd need to figure out where the holes are in the hull (if any), if water flows through that and if so what gets flooded and figure out where the water level is in every room or possibly even every block that can take on water.

This is really hard to do, especially if you still want the game to run at playable framerates. This is probably the reason why we haven't seen much water physics in creative games like this yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info guys, I have found the other aquatic gameplay post in the forums after I posted this, sorry about that

I would imagine that liquid physics would be pretty difficult so I wouldn't expect anything out of the alpha but hopefully down the line these things would be nice to have. Also, flooding would be a pretty good challenge when trying to build underwater bases or even places near water. Maybe even underground reservoirs of some type of fluids. I actually have another idea about the whole creature thing which I should look up in the forums or maybe even make a post about it.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of underwater bases

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, i think they are going for something like this:

This is the engine that they were thinking of using, but it turned out not to be up to the job.
    So they made a better one

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Also, i think they are going for something like this:

This is the engine that they were thinking of using, but it turned out not to be up to the job.
    So they made a better one
    I'm sure they want something like that, but they haven't worked it out in their own engine yet. We're hoping for interactive water and I hope they can pull it off in the end. If not, I'll settle for non interactive water, just for the aesthetics.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah that does look pretty crazy lol. I do hope they get their own system cause that would really be a lot of fun to mess around with, plus, it adds a layer of mystery and a whole new range of aquatic life and interactions.