Thread: [EXTREME PRIORITY] launch screen will not keep usable size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

[EXTREME PRIORITY] launch screen will not keep usable size

Game Version: 0.9.0.3
    Simple Description: initial screen goes 8 px wide
    Detailed Description:
    When 5.1 surround sound is selected and windowed mode is enabled the config files get scrambled by the game. If you change resolution or exit the video goes ouside of the screen and when relaunched will be something like 5000 x 8 px deleting of the configuration files so the settings get rebuilt is required before it will go back to normal.
    Reproducibility: Every time
    How to Reproduce: go to options and set to windowed mode and 1440x900 and accept new screen resolution. it should be normal at this point. go to audio and select 5.1 surround sound and after accepting it will eventually rewrite the screen size wrong or if you go to change resolution it will immediatly mess it up.

Log file: Pn errors.zip the .a files are before the settings and the normaly named are after the changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Playing Windows games in Linux and claiming it a bug when they don't work... don't get me wrong, I like Ubuntu. I've built PXE servers using it, routers using it, and it's a great cure for people who cannot use Windows without infesting their PC's with every known virus and bit of malware out there. It's also really great for ignoring Windows file permissions and performing forensic data recovery. But as a gaming OS... waste of effort.

Using WINE? Might need to recompile or update your graphics drivers - or even downgrade your graphics drivers, especially if they're nVidia... I've seen one too many instances of current nVidia drivers do extremely wonky things, especially in Ubuntu.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never said I was using an exe version. I was stating using the "windowed mode" vs full screen. If you look in the steam store or on GOG it shows this game has a linux client which i was using which would also explain why they have instructions on how to get the logs on a linux system in the bug reporting template section which I flollowed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kendrick View Post
    I never said I was using an exe version. I was stating using the "windowed mode" vs full screen. If you look in the steam store or on GOG it shows this game has a linux client which i was using which would also explain why they have instructions on how to get the logs on a linux system in the bug reporting template section which I flollowed.
    I never pay any attention to that, and haven't even looked at GOG in over 6 years. I'd still check your video drivers.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello kendrick,

It's okay to run the game on Linux, it's "officially" supported. That means we try to fix errors as we can. But we aren't able to test all configurations, like 5.1 sound and windowed mode.

Thanks for comprehensive report - looking to files you sent, I found out that resolution is changed to some impossible value:

$ diff prefs.a prefs
    6c6
    < <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Width" type="int">1920</pref>
    ---
    > <pref name="Screenmanager Resolution Width" type="int">100</pref>

But I am not sure, how changing sound configuration could have caused it. You stated that you was using 0.9.0.3, did you try the newer version 0.9.1.0? It is build in different version of Unity, and could behave differently, speaking about system-related bugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you need to simulate 5.1 sound on Linux with a 2.0 device then you can use PulseAudio's native HRTF support to do so. Still wouldn't explain the strange config issue though, unless PN was trying to store audio volume in that option for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin I am downloading that version now. I will give it a test and see what happens. It seems that when ever the system resets the resolution either by load or a forced apply is when that kicks in. Normal users would probably never think or find the configs and get mad and claim PN is broken so I marked it as such.

Freek the easiest way to deal with 5.1 in linux is to set the hdmi out on your video card as 5.1 99% of the vid cards now days has a hdmi port and it is 5.1 capible. I have a hdmi to tos link splitter on mine so i can get easy 5.1 to my amp. Though i will be playing with jack and some plugins to see if i can get 5.1 converted to ac3 directly.

Post Thanks / Like
    the updated version has resolved that issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    9.0.4 has brought the bug back. it is slightly different now. If i edit the perfs it will open the screen for a few seconds normal size and as soon as music kicks in it rewrites the window size.