Thread: Water Pump Rate Increase

Post Thanks / Like

Water Pump Rate Increase

This one is something of a logical failing to me.
    I can gather water, by hand, 5 bottles at a time.
    The Water Pump, however... takes far longer to gather 100 water than we can by hand, and that just doesn't work logically.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1

it is just annoying and makes the game not easyer if the rate get increased.
    at the moment I build almost a batch of 4-5.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built 2 and it produces way more than I need, but I do agree with your logic

Maybe the amount of water gathered by hand should be nerfed instead?
    Last edited by clu_2; 13-07-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a matter of water collection volume efficiency, it's a matter of convenience. You build a water pump to gather water so you can spend your time doing other things rather than gathering by hand. A pump is just a slow and steady stream of water, as opposed to us scooping a container in a body of water and filling it instantly to full capacity.

Want to compare real world analogs? Turn on the water faucet in your kitchen sink, and fill the basin up at least half way. Then leave the water running. Take a glass or bowl and dunk it in the basin - instant fill. Empty the same glass or bowl, and place it under the running water - gradual fill. Now apply that logic to the water pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    But where do those bottles come from? Shouldn't we need to manufacture them with 3D printers beforehand instead of them materializing from thin air whenever we need them?

And as a similar sized pump in the real world would be able to suck water hundreds of liters per minute, we should almost never need more than one pump per base unless we are trying to scale fuel farming so far that each 20 second cycle produces multiple full stacks of Deuterium.

Post Thanks / Like
    All logical real-world facts, and I'm not disputing any of it. The problem is this is a game, and you have to do some basic balancing to prevent huge issues. And a bit of suspension of some logistics (like the bottle question, it's bugged me too). If you dwell on all of the real-world inconsistencies and minutiae of your activities, you'd never have a playable game - seriously, we use a magic beam gun to create blocks in mid air, the output of a water pump pales in comparison to that leap

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there IS a tank block.

Post Thanks / Like
    To put things in real perspective a cheap $50 sump pump from my local Home Depot can pump 1800 gallons per hour, and thatís a 7 pound portable pump.

Iím not looking for anything like this, but if I can hand-gather 5 bottles of water in what, 30 seconds, I should at least be pumping 10 bottles per pump cycle.

Post Thanks / Like
    We can't know how hard it is to purify extraterrestrial water, but as long as its viscosity is similar to ours, pumping it should be so trivial, that ideally the pump should dispense water immediately to any connected machine that needs it. The time it takes to pump one bottle of dirty water currently in the game should be added to the time a FAD needs to produce one purified bottle of water.

The pump can then keep creating bottles of dirty water at the current rate, but those bottles would not be used by any machines as long as they are connected to pump that is capable of pumping water directly to them.

All other things we can produce in this game are more or less fictional and therefore we can only guess how long making them can take, but that is not the case with pumping water, so it is impossible to maintain the suspension of disbelief when a futuristic giant sized pump can be out performed by filling bottles manually.