Thread: Second generator says it has infinite power. Pretty sure it's a bug, but wanted to check.

Post Thanks / Like

Second generator says it has infinite power. Pretty sure it's a bug, but wanted to check.

Just got the game today. I built a small base and I powered up some things. Then I built a second generator and powered up a weapons locker just fine. The problem started when I built my medium 3D printer. The generator wouldn't connect. I took the fuel out and put it back in. It consumed 1 immediately and said it had infinite power (insert Emperor meme).

Steps I have tried:
    • disconnected everything that was working (weapons locker). This resulted in my not being able to reconnect it either.
    • deconstructed bio generator and reconstructed-no go.
    • deconstructed the solar beacon on top of my base (last thing I constructed before the 3D printer) - no go.
    • deconstructed bio generator and moved it-no go.
    • deconstructed bio generator and moved it 100 meters away from base. This started the naming over again at 1, but still infinite power with no connection.
    • reloaded save-no go.

I did search the forum for this, and didn't see it. I did see an earlier bug report from last year that was similar. I am happy to submit this as a bug. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doubling up.

EDIT: I can't find how to delete this post, but I figured it out.
    For those of you searching. Building a switch on your generator does not connect it to the generator. It was saying infinite power because there was nothing draining the power.
    Last edited by Balgaire; 03-07-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: update

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a common mistake, I’m glad you figured it out.

Here is a guide to basic electricity,
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1245116756
    and here is a extended guide
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1212844449
    These a from January, but still good.

Happy Nomading!

Post Thanks / Like
    Im really glad those guides have been useful for everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like a way to prioritize power sources (or have it done automatically). In other words, let me tell my power grid to pull from my solar panels first, then batteries, then this generator or that generator. Let me tell my batteries to charge from solar, generator or either. That sort of thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixlives View Post
    I'd like a way to prioritize power sources (or have it done automatically). In other words, let me tell my power grid to pull from my solar panels first, then batteries, then this generator or that generator. Let me tell my batteries to charge from solar, generator or either. That sort of thing.
    Power priorities would indeed be nice, so we can have "emergency power" systems that keep critical functions up with lower power density options (solar and batteries) if main power fails, things like that.

I've been wishing that we could get a way to specify power connection properties better, for this exact purpose - the switchboard is a very generic "connect everything, everything is connected" approach, but if we had specific input, output, or bi-directional connections for the switchboards, we could make very complex power circuits that can isolate themselves in different situations. Or even set the entire switchboard itself to a single mode (inputs, outputs, default "all"), so that we could refine power distribution. An "input" switchboard could have as many things as you like attached, with one specific output connection - likewise, an "output" switchboard would have one specific input and then as many outputs as needed. It could essentially be a physical power priority and isolation system.