Thread: [LOW PRIORITY] Uranium generators don't share via conveyor ports

Post Thanks / Like

[LOW PRIORITY] Uranium generators don't share via conveyor ports

Game Version: 0.9.0.4
    Simple Description: Uranium generators don't share via conveyor ports
    Detailed Description: If you build two uranium generators connected via their conveyor ports, enriched uranium placed in one generator will not be conveyed to the other reactor.
    Reproducibility: Every time
    How to Reproduce: Build two uranium generators directly connected via their conveyor ports. Place at least two enriched uranium in one of them.
    Any additional information: In some cases it may appear that they are sharing fuel, but once one of them depletes it will not refill.

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I've tried it and it works for me... can you send me your save ? Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    You do have to be careful that all the things are either on the same grid to start with, or are built in the right order. Build 2 generators and try to link them...and it won;t work. Build one...then the link pipes...then the second, and it should work.

Conveyor pipes will not connect seperate objects if they are not part of the same 'grid'

Post Thanks / Like
    It gets stranger.

I did some experimentation with reactors and got unexpected results, not only with the conveyor system but also with a strange interaction between the power and conveyor systems. I started out with a switchboard and an indoor light, connected together, and performed the following steps. The erroneous results are in bold, with my expected results after.

Build reactor, connect to switchboard: fuel empty
    Turn reactor off, then on: fuel empty
    Build second reactor connected by conveyor port, connect to switchboard: fuel empty
    Put 2 uranium in first reactor: light lights, first shows fuel usage, second fuel empty (since they're connected via conveyor ports, fuel should be shared)
    Turn second off, then on: second shows 0% usage, but no fuel timer (what is this I don't even)
    Remove fuel from first reactor: second shows fuel empty
    Reinsert 1 fuel in first: no change (fuel should be shared)
    Turn switchboard off, then on: second shows 0% usage, but no fuel timer (this is the strange interaction between the systems)
    Remove/reinsert 1 fuel, turn light on then off: second shows 0% usage, but no fuel timer (another instance of previous)
    Deconstruct first reactor to frame: second shows fuel empty
    Reconstruct first reactor: first shows 0% usage, but no fuel timer (see the next note)
    Connect first reactor: first shows fuel timer (was the fuel not wiped on partial deconstruct?)
    Turn switchboard off: first shows no fuel timer
    Build third reactor not connected via conveyor: fuel empty
    Connect third reactor to switchboard: no change
    Turn third reactor off, then on: no change (another inconsistency with power/conveyor interaction)
    Deconstruct third reactor fully: no change
    Insert 1 fuel in first: no change (still no sharing)
    Build conveyor connected to first reactor: no change
    Remove/reinsert 1 fuel in first: no change (we now have a conveyor system and still no sharing)
    Turn second off, then on: second shows 0% usage, but no fuel timer (...)

And this brings us to the current state of the save.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tf...e5E1z2A0mzsUAI
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FF...m0ak0bvUJ95_UV

EDIT:

As a follow-up I built a compact storage at the end of the conveyor. Fuel put in the first reactor was still not shared, but fuel I put in the storage was.

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to replicate it. Thank You ! I think we will fix it soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Other than the oddness with how it's reporting power and % timers, I tend to think that reactors should not share fuel. If you put X fuel rods in reactor A, it should burn through all X of those rods. If you put Y rods into reactor B, it should burn through all Y of those rods. If A runs out of fuel before B, it should shut down, not steal rods from reactor B. The inventory of each reactor is specific fuel you have placed for that specific reactor only.

Case in point: I may have reactor A running a specific set of items that have higher power draw, which I only want to run for a set period of time (until fuel is expended). And say I have reactor B running the basics of my base, including greenhouses, beacon, stasis pods, etc. I do not want A to burn through its fuel and start stealing rods from B, potentially resulting in my entire base losing power eventually.

Shared storage on the conveyor network with A and B should be equally accessible to each reactor, though. Anything you put there is "fair game" for your entire conveyor network. You put fuel there, you are creating an overflow buffer to cover any reactor that burns through its fuel too quickly. Note that connected refineries work in that fashion as well - you can burn through fuel as fast as you are refining it, if you try hard enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a checkbox then, "Take from other reactors when empty".

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Vrmithrax is right. Generators cannot share fuel between themselves. It`s intended behavior because you can have something like backup generator powering important blocks in your base/vehicle and another generators getting their fuel from containers. So you can be sure that no block takes fuel from your backup generator. If you want to share fuel you can connect them via containers.

However there is a bug. Second generator should show that is out of fuel. I will look at it.
    Pavel