Thread: Short Range Switchboard

Post Thanks / Like

Short Range Switchboard

I think a 2nd "short range" switchboard with a range of maybe 2 or 3 blocks could be very handy for making things like pressure plates for vehicle triggered events like a gate opening

Post Thanks / Like
    I Agree, I have been wanting a power version of the conveyor-connector. A “Switchboard Connector” would be great.

Also, it would be nice if we could set switchboards to automatic function, like we do with doors and lights.

Hmmmm? I wonder if it is possible to create a 2-way light switch, so you can turn hallway lights on as you enter, and off at the other end as you leave.

Post Thanks / Like
    What difference would range make? If a connection is only 3 blocks away a connector that has a range of 20 blocks can still connect to something 3 blocks away.

And while we use switchboards as switches some times, they’re more like breaker panels than actual switches.

Empyrion does a nice job with switches, signals and circuit logic and is also Unity-based, so this sort of thing certainly is doable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had put in a suggestion for a proximity detector option on the switchboard, but that was before the "auto-reconnect" feature was added to the switchboards. I could see where having a short range version would be very handy for controlling what power connections are being made and where. The pseudo pressure switch is a great example, it would be even more useful when we get actual powered rotors and such - you approach the outside of the gate and switch 1 reconnects at close range to begin opening the gate, then as you drive through your short connection range causes a disconnect from switch 1 and you reconnect to switch 2 which causes the closing action. With current switchboard ranges, you'd probably have to get pretty far away to make that happen.

I wonder if being able to just toggle something in the switchboard properties could be a solution, like a C menu option for the switchboard? Toggle the reconnect: None, Short Range, Long Range (default now).