Thread: Fix water risistance on vehicles

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Fix water risistance on vehicles

So far I spent more than two thirds of my time getting my vehicles unstuck. It is way too easy for any design to get stuck in water. The water makes it impossible to drive out. Lower it's resistance to vehicles. I built 7 and all of them are under water with all the materials harvested in them. Unless it becomes easier to drive what we build I won't waste anymore of my time. The game would be fun if I can drive what I build.

On land!!!!

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Midas,
    we will try to improve it. Thank You for feedback ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Other than just the getting stuck I liked the rest of the gameplay. Was able to build a cool base and vehicles. One of the best features was linking the Bio-Generators to your vehicles and the links reestablishes itself when in range. Thanks for hearing me out.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you find yourself needing to drive in or under water be sure to switch your wheels all to Power instead of Speed. Speed will not get you out of the water, but Power will. Not fast, but moving is better than not moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's been a suggestion in the pipeline for ages now, for maybe getting small flotation blocks to let us make small amphibious vehicles that can travel above the water for a change. It would be a nice alternative to the underwater driving issues.

And, just FYI, if you can scrounge enough materials together to make a single fan blade, you can often mount that to a vehicle that will be doing lots of underwater driving, to help with the getting stuck issues. I tend to put one in the center of my vehicle, and basically hit the space bar to "boost" over big obstacles - it gives you a little advantage, making your vehicle handle like it is much lighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax
    There's been a suggestion in the pipeline for ages now, for maybe getting small flotation blocks to let us make small amphibious vehicles that can travel above the water for a change. It would be a nice alternative to the underwater driving issues.

And, just FYI, if you can scrounge enough materials together to make a single fan blade, you can often mount that to a vehicle that will be doing lots of underwater driving, to help with the getting stuck issues. I tend to put one in the center of my vehicle, and basically hit the space bar to "boost" over big obstacles - it gives you a little advantage, making your vehicle handle like it is much lighter.
    Haven't gotten far enough to craft the fan blade. But with that advice I will go in and put one on all those vehicles that are submerged!!! Haha. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    If you find yourself needing to drive in or under water be sure to switch your wheels all to Power instead of Speed. Speed will not get you out of the water, but Power will. Not fast, but moving is better than not moving.
    I should have mentioned that I discovered that option very early on and the power option is all I use. Thanks for the suggest!
    Last edited by Midas Rahl; 25-06-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The winch works really well for pulling stuck vehicles out of water, but it may take a while depending on how far from shore you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the .9 version they dinked the salvage from ship parts removing the comp 2 materials. This is needed to get to fans or hover pods. So you can't make comp2 without cobalt and aluminum. You have to go get them. Easy way go by foot and bring back a stack of silver aluminum and cobalt. Wheels don't swim or climb mountains. Lots of water in the new seeds.
    I don't make wheels for that reason. They could make paddle wheels or super mudders that allow the vehicle to float across water when under forward power. Small sized float blocks combo would work. Same size as normal blocks with bouyancy effect. Otherwise you sink and good luck getting out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tp555 View Post
    In the .9 version they dinked the salvage from ship parts removing the comp 2 materials. This is needed to get to fans or hover pods. So you can't make comp2 without cobalt and aluminum. You have to go get them
    Well, damn. That absolutely KILLS a really cool versionof gameplay - "Water World", maxxing out the Water value, causing you to have a series of small islands, and no mainland.

Without being able to build at least one fan or hoverblade early on, you can't build a "boat" (floating coundation) that moves. You'd be stuck driving underwater, and we all know how well THAT doesn't work ... :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I started a water world before 0.9, and having just a hand full of those rare materials was a life saver to make a vehicle that would let me get around the planet to find more rare resources. This really pushes my original suggestion of having small flotation blocks that can be used like armor blocks, but made with things like frame and fabric, something simple and tier 1, so we can have amphibious vehicles for travel until we get the resources to make hover pads or fan blades. One of the devs even commented that perhaps an "outboard motor" kind of water propulsion would be a useful idea to couple with float blocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for smaller floating block options

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the floating blocks + water motor idea.

Now, if we get realistic water on top of that, I might start spending a lot more time on water !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another vote for the smaller floating blocks. They would be really useful in my current project. The Current floating foundation is simply too big and I can't attach enough to keep that huge ass mobile base above the water :/
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Now....this issue is not so much about the driving underwater...but about the tech tree and what you need to build certain key blocks.

My reasoning goes like this:

Vehicles used to be able to drive underwater like it was dry land. Air lasted forever and there was no issue. You just slapped a wheeled vehiclek together and went anywhere. That wasn't realistic. convenient...but not 'right' and it did not encourage any real creativity in design. Cars have never been good at driving underwater in reality...so why should they here?
    There was no alternative...so it was no big deal...but it was noticable.

Then...along comes the hover pads. Now you can make a vehicle that can go on land and float over water. Great. Now we have something to upgrade to. It requires minerals that are not usually found in the starting zone, but it's a reason to explore, find new biomes and mine and haul back vital resources to progress.
    Great. But landmass ratios to water mean most lakes can still just be driven round...not though or over. We get a flotation block to build floating bases on but I don't see the point as they tend to drift about unless you tether them...and if you do that...you might as well have used a solid block!

Then...we get customisable worlds.

So the first thing I do is build a waterworld. Now floating bases make sense...and if you attach the hover pads you can sail the world in a boat/base. But....you need to exotic materials and they are not on your island. You can't build a car to drive there as deep water can't be crossed. You can't build your floating base. The only solution involves endless slow speed swimming/flying on your basic jetpack until you find the aluminium you crave and spend hours slogging back to where the iron and carbon lives. Dull....dull...dull

Solution:

Small and simple flotation block built from simple materials ( like the cloth I and a bit of basic frame ) so you can craft a flotable craft anywhere in the normal temperate starting biomes. Then...add a simple 'water jet' motor or propellor block to hook up to a battery or simple power source. Slow....but powerful enough to move a small craft. Again...make it from frames and mechanical components. That way you can build a small boat early game in the same way you would build a small rover early game. More advanced craft will come later....but you need something early game that can float if you make a very 'wet' map.

As far as the OP's issue goes, I have built several very successful amphibious designs which sail the sea and can drive out of the water onto quite steep slopes. More than happy to share some ideas if it will help. They all require hover pads to move on water...which is why I see the problem not so much as a vehicles driving in water...but rather that there is no early game alternative to allow you to travel on water other than by swimming. Which is boring. And slow. It's not even dangerous....as nothing lives in the water. Which I would like to see change too ;)