Thread: Mapping the Planet's Surface and Radar

Post Thanks / Like

Question Mapping the Planet's Surface and Radar

Hello fellow explorers,

I thought I had a "great idea," which I admit is not terribly original, to build a small, fast craft and mount the radar on it. Then, I could use it to map the surface of the planet while I explore. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. The only time I can get the radar to scan the local area is when it is properly powered and mounted on a semi-permanent base.

Two questions:
    1. Can anyone explain the mechanics at work here?
    2. Has anyone come up with a way to quickly and efficiently map the surface?

Newbie Nomad

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't done it for a while...but I am pretty sure you can mount a radar and move it. They used to be unusable on a vehicle, but a game update changed that.

You have to manually 'activate' the radar to scan, and it is quite heavy and power hungry....so make sure you have a vehicle capable.

Just tested it. Built a scanner on my large all terrain crawler, scanned the local area and got a map update. Then drove south to the edge of the scanned area, and checked again. Got out...went to scanner...clicked 'E' to scan...and got another map update.

Working fine.

The map update is not continual though. You do have to get out and activate the scanner. It doesn;t scan as you drive along
    Last edited by Flakmagnet1701; 16-06-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    the new radar position must be outside of the already scanned area, doesnt matter if mobile or fixed.
    so basicly there is now need to keep a radar powered on or around at all if this area is scanned, since there is now future update on the map or so.

Preorder Collector Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a guide explaining the radar output? It seems like at most a kind of depth image.

Post Thanks / Like
    No guide...it kind of is what it looks like. An idea of terain, water bodies and a rough relief map.