Thread: Storage filtering

Post Thanks / Like

Storage filtering

The storage system of the game can be extremely complex to manage and any new addition could add even more complexity. I think 2 rather simple (?) changes could really improve things considerably :

1 - Any container or producer would have a "filter" function to control what can be stored in it. If an item cannot be stored there, it will be impossible to unload it from the player 's inventory or to get it from a producer linked through conveyors. You would have the ability to filter out specific items (e.g. don't store iron in this printer) or entire types (e.g. food can be stored in this container)

2- For any item stored in a container or a producer, there will be a second number shown at the bottom left that indicates the total amount available across all connected structures. That way, if you have Cobalt in 3 containers and 2 printers, you can immediately know how much you can use in total.

The UI for point 2 is arguably easy. For point 1, you would need to add a filter interface, as well as a pop up message (can't store this item here, open filter interface to change settings)

These changes would go a long way to help us all manage our inventory.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's actually a very common suggestion that has had quite a bit of discussion. It would be great to have a "filter panel" that let you toggle what items can be stored in each individual container.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your answer. I try to browse this forum before posting suggestions, but it's hard to do. It would be great for the players community - and for the devs - to have an indexed list of proposed changes with just a category (survival, UI, construction, etc) and a simple description.
    We could create a Trello board for this. It could link back to forum threads for details.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is actually an official Trello board for the game development, but it doesn't appear to be used or updated any longer...

https://trello.com/b/theYNOul/planet...erview-roadmap

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say the forum is a good enough tool.
    Only for bugs is not good because the same reports should be linked together and later marked as solved.
    But for improvements, is ok if new players come and propose the same ideas mentioned before.
    Developers have to get the info that many people want that feature.

From what I understood, developers are reluctant to change the current conveyor/inventory system.
    I am not sure why.
    It generates lag when is big enough
    It is also very primitive, not allowing managing the items.
    ( I would like to see the day when the containers will be heavier when are full )

Even the shift click to move an item was not accepted and remained a double click on the stack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks both for the feedback,

Menzagitat, I disagree about the forum being a good place for devs. The information here is not structured in a way devs can use to browse through suggestions efficiently. There are no naming rules, no categories, inconsistent use of tags... Not to mention the fact that this is only one forum, so everything they see here has a chance to be duplicated on the Steam forum.

However, I wholeheartedly agree devs should know how popular a request is, this just means that any centralised place we would create would need that information as well (maybe in the form of number of related threads) I'm not saying it's an easy job, but with a few volunteers it's entirely doable in a rather short amount of time.

Vrmithrax, I was aware about the Trello board but I think by the devs own admission, it didn't work for them. I'm suggesting a new one maintained by the players.

I still think this is something we need, but it's obviously not a one person's job so I won't start unless it gets traction.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply !

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure the Trello board has been ditched.

The issue, really, is one of managing the forum....which is something they know they need to work on. There needs to be a stickied set of suggestions, sitting at the top of hte forum where people can easily find them. Remove or amalgamate duplications and generally summarise what is there.

Same for the bug report section.

It's work...but necessary work in my view.

They also need to make a choice between the Steam forum and this one. Point people one way or the other, and tag it as 'official' for suggestions and bug reports. News too. The other forum can be used as a signpost to direct people and if need be...transfer info to keep it all together in one simple formatted location.

You could categorise suggestions into sub forums from the main one, with Environment, Terrain, Blocks, Tech as potential sub categories.

In short...it would need someone with forum access and some free time to sift the topics, edit the content and sort it into a sensible format. Move duplicate posts into existing threads where needed and leave it in a condition where a dev can scan the forum for ideas and bugs...and lock/move to 'fixed' or 'implemented' sections respectively if they do what was needed with a bug report or suggestion.

I did offer too. The reply indicatres they want to keep it in house...which is fine...but for a small dev team, I hope they can spare the resource to do it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Flakmagnet, and thanks for your reply,

Though I'm really not convinced a forum is the best issue/suggestion-tracking tool, we are all in agreement that some sort of catalogue is needed. A searchable index of some kind, even a summary.

I have offered to help directly as well and it looks indeed that the devs prefer having that in-house. I hope we see it sooner rather than later - to keep high engagement for players who give feedback - and I'm ready to volunteer some of my time to help. If a handful of us agree to do that, I think it's a tedious but not overly time-consuming task.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forums never are a 'best' solution for tracking, as they dopn;t have the structure and are too open and wooly. I only really suggest that appraoch as it would allow the developers to let us help without having to open the door to any secret inner workings. Just give someone outside of the wall access to the forum as a moderator to tidy up, organise and filter.

No need to give us the key to the door, sign an NDA, or otherwise seek admission to the Inner Sanctum.

Good to know I am not alone in offering...but even more baffled that they don;t want to take advantage of our help......

Personally...if things were a bit more organised and responses were a bit better, there would be fewer people trying to call this game dead, and probably better bug reports and info to help them. It's free help....what harm could it possibly do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Flakmagnet1701,

I understand where you come from, and it can appear baffling from the outside. But - oddly enough - I'm in the exact reverse position at work. Project manager for a 1000+ users system, bombarded by requests & suggestions, and I have to really think carefully of what avenues I offer to obtain feedback, for a very simple reason : managing expectations.

Say, you create a tool, a forum area, a spreadsheet, whatever, to give PN players a chance to list & categorise their requests. You can be as careful as you want, you can give all the warnings and caveats possible, many players will consider that tool a commitment to implement their suggestions or fix the bugs they have reported, and to do so quickly. Yet, the project's roadmap might be completely incompatible with doing the vast majority of improvements in the next release.

I think the devs at Craneballs simply cannot decide on the best course of action and dread opening the pandora's box of an official suggestion forum. For the time being, all we are doing here is chatting between ourselves and wishing for stuff. The moment they give us an official tool, this will increase pressure on them. Granted, the main menu of the game encourages you to give feedback, so it's a bit disheartening not to be able to do so in a structured way, but I do sympathise with their predicament.

The only thing we can do is to point out to them that the current situation is harming the perception of the game with its community of players and potential players, as you say above. This might be motivation enough.

All of the above is - of course - only my opinion.

Cheers !