Thread: Nomadic Journals EP. #3 Weather, Build Vision... Alpha Feats

Post Thanks / Like

Nomadic Journals EP. #3 Weather, Build Vision... Alpha Feats

https://www.planet-nomads.com/2016/0...n-alpha-feats/

Hello Nomads,

Is the alpha ready? When will the game be out? We're getting more and more of these and the sweet tension increases with every day passed. We are slowly coming to realize that inevitably, you are going to join us in playing Planet Nomads. The game will finally start to fulfill its purpose. Do we have a closed-alpha date for you? Not yet. Will we have it for you in the next blog post? Very likely so.

The closed-alpha is now a matter of a couple missing features and polishes, check them on Trello. That's the work we've been doing lately and will continue to do so until the alpha launch.

Closed-Alpha Forum Section

We'll be opening a special section in the forum where Alpha tier members will be able to report bugs and provide feedback. So if you have alpha access, make sure you have your forum badge up too. Let me or Wazbat know if not, so we can help. The forum section will be accessible by everyone, so you know what Alpha players are saying about Planet Nomads, and general discussions can take place in the right forum section.

It's happening Nomads. In February Kickstarter we put Planet Nomads on the list of upcoming space sandbox games together. Now we have a few months of closed-alpha testing ahead of us and then it's Early Access and a live game on Steam.

Sometimes all this makes us do crazy things.

Until next time, Nomads.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Questions about the first alpha:

Will the suit customisation be in?
    Will fliers be part of the first alpha?
    Is there going to be a drag and drop block placement? for building large things like walls and floors.

When are the custom blocks arriving?
    Can we make requests?
    Are they allowed to be functional, or only prettier versions of existing ones?

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome guys, glad its coming along nicely.

A bit a jarring in the animations but hell I'll be first person most the time anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Questions about the first alpha:

Will the suit customisation be in?
    Will fliers be part of the first alpha?
    Is there going to be a drag and drop block placement? for building large things like walls and floors.

When are the custom blocks arriving?
    Can we make requests?
    Are they allowed to be functional, or only prettier versions of existing ones?
    A lot of noes for these questions. Vehicles and buildings in alpha, no flying components just yet. Customization and custom blocks coming in Early Access and the blocks will include a set of additional decorative blocks.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Unique Nomad WyattEarp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing and experiencing all of your hard work soon.
    The Game Colonel

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one, the weather system looks excellent and is a nice surprise. Underground bases are in, love that.

One question.... Petr mentions a diameter of 60km and Daniel stated 120km.... which one is the correct one? If it is 60km that means we can dig right through a planet

Please make sure you thank Petr for me for including some of my base building footage, awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    60km radius, 120km diameter.

Post Thanks / Like
    60km radius, 120km diameter.
    Petr said 60km diameter in the video though. Could be a mistake, I realize that, but I guessed it is better to ask then to wonder. Both say diameter.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't miss a thing. Always get confused about diameter, because sometimes I think about it as radius). However, the alpha planet will be 60 kms diameter, because that felt best in terms of how often the biomes are changing. We can still go up to 120 km, with future planets, but wanted it small and cosy for starters
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    You don't miss a thing. Always get confused about diameter, because sometimes I think about it as radius). However, the alpha planet will be 60 kms diameter, because that felt best in terms of how often the biomes are changing. We can still go up to 120 km, with future planets, but wanted it small and cosy for starters
    Thanks, make sense though, upgrading planets in time to come is cool, 60km for starters is pretty big already. I would need to walk/drive 188km to go around it and have 376km2 to explore and build on.... plenty to begin with Having various sized planets in time to come would be nice also. From small to large, that would make the universe more convincing as well.

By the way, watched your interview with CobraTV just now..... excellent one, some nice extended footage and very insightful, thanks for going on his show.

Post Thanks / Like
    eh, Empyrion planets are like 2km across or so, and they aren't too bad.

60 or 120 is plenty.

Post Thanks / Like
    eh, Empyrion planets are like 2km across or so, and they aren't too bad.

60 or 120 is plenty.
    With Empyrion that doesn't matter anyway, since it's no fun to explore anyway. As soon as games are done so well (as PN will be) that they invite to explore, the bigger they are, the better.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    @maslostroj

Well i wanted to chime in and say ( and i know its late and impractical prolly) Do not enable a sandbox mode by default , even if it means delaying the alpha .

the reasoning is , people will get very bored with the game if they experience the higher techs and building blocks .

its just like a very big spoiler . and often kills interest in the gaining experience and upgrading aspects

just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by upsetkiller View Post
    @maslostroj

Well i wanted to chime in and say ( and i know its late and impractical prolly) Do not enable a sandbox mode by default , even if it means delaying the alpha .

the reasoning is , people will get very bored with the game if they experience the higher techs and building blocks .

its just like a very big spoiler . and often kills interest in the gaining experience and upgrading aspects

just my 2 cents
    We are starting out with the creative mode, so pretty much sandbox. I'm fine with that, well even happy with that, since I'm not into the whole survival thing, I rather enjoy exploring and building (and goofing around). I'm sure this have been done from a design angle though. The want to get the building part correct, before implementing the rest. The building needs most testing, since you most likely run into the most issues in that one. Other features are also easier to implement afterwards.... not easy, but easier. The base of a game like this after all is building, so you want to get that out of the way first.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use the sandbox to understand the building mechanics and how things work.

It is only alpha and it will have things that need testing as will the survival mode when that is added.

I think craft mode first is the correct way otherwise how do you know if the bug in survival mode is a bug or a crafting error.
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    well this makes me realize i made a hasty assumption , my bad xD wow i was really short sighted there.