Thread: Questions about water

Post Thanks / Like

Questions about water

On the 2018 roadmap, we got the info:
    it will not be so easy to obtain endless water resource just by digging down for few seconds
    What does that mean?
    • It will not be available at all, even if we dig down many more seconds?
    • What will happen if we dig a channel from the ocean to the place where we didn't found water in the first attempt?
    • Will we have a place where the water ends abruptly, as if being stopped by an invisible vertical force field?

reference: https://www.planet-nomads.com/2018/0...dmap-for-2018/

If the answer is a cool one, please cover it in a blog.
    Do not prepare us "surprises".
    ...you can look forward for many unmentioned surprises. We will also continue to listen to all of your suggestions on our forum ...
    We want to dream together with you about that world.
    And those other worlds which may come.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Half of the year is over and we still have no concrete idea how it will be implemented . We just see this a very unrealistic breakage of survival and want to fix it.

What will happen if we dig a channel from the ocean to the place where we didn't found water in the first attempt?
    As we are not aware of some simple planetary scale realtime fluid simulation, I think that digging channels will be impossible.

Here is the most realistic solution I see so far:

As you know, we have spherical water in game as that is the most easiest way how to handle it. You just compute distance from planet center and compare it to the water level and instantly know, if you are wet or not.. Under the water level there are still some destructible geometry and then another (currently spherical) layer, made of indestructible voxel material. If we just manage this material to level up over the water in some places, it will make impossible to dig to the water from that place.

It will not be available at all, even if we dig down many more seconds?
    Good point, it does not have to be totally indestructible, just practically indestructible, like very hard stone.

Will we have a place where the water ends abruptly, as if being stopped by an invisible vertical force field?
    We do not want to have vertical water walls. It will still be flat spherical water, just at some places, it will be hard or impossible to get down to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the answer!
    I see now several good solutions which are both interesting and realistic

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the clever idea of a very hard layer under land masses just above water level, it prevents a whole retooling of the fluid dynamics in the game.

I'd suggest a little something to add to that suggestion, though... If it's going to be a relatively indestructible layer just above the water table (for ease of game play), maybe give us a "water well" machine that we can place on the solid layer? That would be the rough equivalent of the real world situation where you drill deep to find water in areas that do not have easy access to that resource otherwise. It could require conveyor connection and power to make it work (same as the water pump we have now).

If you wanted to get really tricky later, you could make the well power requirement scale based on biome - tropical biome has low power needs for water pumping, desert has very high power requirement, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a mining rig that actually removes solids? Then you go down the rabbit hole...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Krookward View Post
    What about a mining rig that actually removes solids? Then you go down the rabbit hole...
    That was actually similar to my first thought - a large drill machine that you place on the ground and it digs down. But I then thought maybe just giving a simple machine that can be placed on the hardpan layer would be an easier addition (both for play and for development). We just use our regular multi-tool mining to get down to the boundary layer, and then make enough room to place the well.

There's something fun about the idea of a machine drilling a deep mysterious hole that we have to dive into, though

Post Thanks / Like
    A cave creator device!
    Design your cave and upload it into the workshop as a blueprint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    A cave creator device!
    Design your cave and upload it into the workshop as a blueprint
    Ooooooooh... I like how you think!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    Ooooooooh... I like how you think!
    Thanks but I just added a bit to the idea started above
    Some blueprints add to the space, some extract...

- - - Updated - - -

But is quite some work to dig manually a cave just to upload it into the workshop. Some people sped months to create a piece of art but normal people would like to have an easy way to drag lines and tell the machine how to dig those caves. Which is similar to an editor. It is a bit far from the roadmap I guess. At least for 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    As we are not aware of some simple planetary scale realtime fluid simulation...
    It means you are aware of local, contained fluid simulations.
    I am not suggesting anything!

Still I would like to be able to defend my base with a moat, carry water in a barrel and fill my spaceship with air, take care of air pressure, clean the air, remove water vapor, maybe even have a bio dome on a less life friendly planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    As we are not aware of some simple planetary scale realtime fluid simulation, I think that digging channels will be impossible..
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ulti...lation.493984/

Might be a bit of work to implement on a planetary scale, but does make some really nice looking, nice behaving water, and is built specifically for Unity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ultimate Water looks so impressive ..... wow. Yes please devs

Rain drops on water, waves, etc

This would be a great addition to PN if it can be added.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awww....if only that could be implemented!

Volume subtraction...oh yes. Ships with space below the waterline that wasn't weterlogged.

Waves, ripples, foam at the waters edge. Fabulous.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    As you probably remember, we've experimented with PlayWay Water system previously. The biggest issue was it didn't account on spherical water surface. Neither physics, nor shaders. We've tried some tweaks/hacks but didn't achieved satisfactory results, so we've stuck with our custom solution. Also procedurally generated terrain and user-built vehicles complicates things a little bit over the scope of average water asset systems.

But it was relatively long ago. As we have problems porting our water into new Unity (reversed depth buffer and water depth calculation), looking for Ultimate Water System and other similar on asset store might solve it, so thank you for a sharing the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope Ultimate Water works, it really looks and plays quite well. If I happen on anything else Iíll be sure to pass it along!

Post Thanks / Like
    Extremely interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ultimate Water seems to get some hostile reviews about Dev support...but there are others. Suimono looks good too.

But all these water surface plugins for Unity provide water that looks a whole lot more like water than the flat surface we have now. Making boats sail on bumpy waves with wakes and shore splashes....all these things would make hte planet feel so much more 'real' than current.

Would also be SOOOOO nice to see some critters swimming about in the water. Friendly and hostile. Or even just visual fish shoals with no physical presence at all. And some sea plants. Coral. Shellfish. That sort of thing.