Thread: Compact Container arrays ordered alphanumerically

Post Thanks / Like

Compact Container arrays ordered alphanumerically

Compact Containers can be connected so "opening" one let's you see them all. When this is done, it would be ideal if the containers always displayed alphanumerically, regardless of which Compact Container were "opened"

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not say 'always' because sometimes you want the current behavior. But +1 if there is an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    The container inventory situation has been a common point of discussion and suggestions I've seen over the last year. Quite a few good ideas on how to handle it have been thrown around in discussions.

I think it would be nice if there was a way to "order" the containers within a given conveyor network, so alphanumerical by assigned name would be a good way to go. That same sort order for containers would also affect where items drop when they are added from inventory to the conveyor network.

But, there are times that you open a particular container because you want that particular container's items, or to deposit in that particular container, without having to scroll through the list to find that container. So, maybe the rule of thumb would be that the container order is always sorted by name, but the particular container you interfaced with is at the top, and has priority for deposits (for this inventory access session), then the standard sorting would apply after your selected container is full? Seems like a good compromise between the existing method and a nice orderly sorted method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not forget that when you double click something in your inventory and the target container is full, it goes to the next that is the 'closest' right now. That is useful too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Krookward View Post
    Do not forget that when you double click something in your inventory and the target container is full, it goes to the next that is the 'closest' right now. That is useful too.
    That's what I meant by having it prioritize the selected container first, then move to standard sorting after that. So, once your current container is full, it'll try to find an opening in container A, then container B, etc. At least then it's in the same logical order every time. It feels a bit like rolling the dice as it is now - depending on which container you opened, where the next items fall after that container is full seems to change. Closest doesn't always seem to mean physically closest, sometimes if seems to be the container that was built next when constructing, which could be far away from where you are at the moment. Using a standard alphanumeric name sort for containers would eliminate any guesswork on where things should end up.

I should also state that it would be nice to have this as an optional view. Select "Sorted" checkbox at the top of the container inventory window and it stays that way any time you open up containers, until you deselect that option (persistent setting).

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an option in the list of joined containers that allows you to move a container up or down in the list of containers. However this sorting is temporary and relative to which container in the network of containers you happen to look in at any given time.

For example...[Container 1] = [Container 2] = [Container 3] = [Container 4]

If I happen to open Container 1 and look inside, I'll see the contents of Container 1 listed first, followed by Container 2, then Container 3 and Container 4.

If I open Container 3 to look inside, I'll see Container 3 listed first, followed by Container 1, then Container 3 and finally Container 4.

Each of these has an "Up/Down" arrow to allow me to sort their order, so if seeing Container 3 first is really bothering me, I can shift it down the list. Next time I open Container 3 though, it will put Container 3 back on the top of the list. If we could lock that sorting it might go a long way towards helping with massive inventory management.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, Indigo. It's a useful feature to be able to visually adjust sorting, but the temporary nature ends up making it more of a pain than a benefit. Which is partially why I stopped using it.

Of course, the main reason I stopped was that the order of containers had no relevance other than visually. Double-clicking a stack didn't put it into the first container in your nice sorted list that you spent time getting just right, it put the items in a seemingly random location (which, I believe was the next one in line following your selected container, based on the order the containers were built). Unless you were click & dragging items, it served no real purpose. That functionality may have changed over time, but as I said I stopped using it so long ago, I have no idea if it's been improved.

If it sorted containers by name, it would be the same every time, no question. And, if you added a new container to a network, you could easily decide exactly where it'll fit into the existing list simply by choosing the right name. I'm thinking pure convenience and efficiency, useful when you have a network of 20 or more small containers (so you don't have to shuffle through and manually adjust the order).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    Agreed, Indigo. It's a useful feature to be able to visually adjust sorting, but the temporary nature ends up making it more of a pain than a benefit. Which is partially why I stopped using it.

Of course, the main reason I stopped was that the order of containers had no relevance other than visually. Double-clicking a stack didn't put it into the first container in your nice sorted list that you spent time getting just right, it put the items in a seemingly random location (which, I believe was the next one in line following your selected container, based on the order the containers were built). Unless you were click & dragging items, it served no real purpose. That functionality may have changed over time, but as I said I stopped using it so long ago, I have no idea if it's been improved.

If it sorted containers by name, it would be the same every time, no question. And, if you added a new container to a network, you could easily decide exactly where it'll fit into the existing list simply by choosing the right name. I'm thinking pure convenience and efficiency, useful when you have a network of 20 or more small containers (so you don't have to shuffle through and manually adjust the order).
    Believe me, pain felt - In one of my various saves, I have a mobile base that features two independent stacks of 45 small containers (a total of 91 small containers on the whole MB), and yes, keeping things sorted is a full-time occupation there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    Believe me, pain felt - In one of my various saves, I have a mobile base that features two independent stacks of 45 small containers (a total of 91 small containers on the whole MB), and yes, keeping things sorted is a full-time occupation there.
    Ugh. That hurts my chest (and my clicky finger) just to think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    Of course, the main reason I stopped was that the order of containers had no relevance other than visually.
    Generally true, if you feel you have to scan them all every time anyway.

I name my containers ("Uranium Container", "Frame Container", etc) so having them appear alphabetically every time means I can scroll down the list (and it's a long list) quickly to the vicinity of the container I'm looking for, and then slow down to find the specific one. Thus the suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not just the sorting that can be annoying but also the time it takes to display the contents when there are lots of containers connected.

In my MB i have over 200 small containers connected within the flooring. It can take about 10-12 seconds to display. A long time when you are just standing there and cannot move :-)