Thread: Automatic Biomass

Post Thanks / Like

Automatic Biomass

Really, this issue is killing me. I am building another base with 14 printers and 14 large containers like these:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1390762065

I need 1690 stacks of 100 biomass containers for the products that need them, and I do not want to chop one single tree more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. There's been multiple suggestions in that the large greenhouse should produce biomass as a byproduct of normal operation, hopefully that will start happening so we can have some basic self-sufficient mechanics in place (since trees do not regrow and such). It would be cool to be able to set a large greenhouse to produce seeds, and each cycle it would produce seeds and biomass, and then you could put it in a looped cycle (set to 9999 seed production) to just have it churn out biomass. Not quick, but efficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Camp a Brann or Space Cow nest. Kills yield biomass and both are pretty easy kills. Just don't break the nest.

But I do agree, Biomass as a byproduct of Greenhouses make sense.

I wouldn't mind seeing some Depleted Uranium as a byproduct of Uranium Reactors either - would make for some nice munitions for an upgraded combat rifle.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about biomass, carbon and tons of electricity to generate more biomass in some kind of lab for a quick addition?

Let's see how much biomass I can slice from those cows meanwhile...

Post Thanks / Like
    I see the attraction for an automated biomass production; but I rather see something that requires some work.

How about an alien elephant grass that we can harvest a healthy amount of biomass from, that regrows quickly like fruit plants.
    Instead of fireflies, it could grow taller and/or glow when ready to be harvested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Viking View Post
    I see the attraction for an automated biomass production; but I rather see something that requires some work.

How about an alien elephant grass that we can harvest a healthy amount of biomass from, that regrows quickly like fruit plants.
    Instead of fireflies, it could grow taller and/or glow when ready to be harvested.
    That's good for me too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, having everything automatic would be too easy. Having to work for biomass, but making it easy to collect, is kind of a nice balance.

Post Thanks / Like
    .... production of minerals, water, seeds, herbs, and fruit can all be automated by mines, pumps, and greenhouses (respectively).

Why should biomass be the solitary exception?

Post Thanks / Like
    And if you automated biomass with greenhouses, you'd be looking at potentially long cycle times for minimal biomass - basically the length of a harvest cycle for a small amount of byproduct (stems, leaves, etc)

Automating in that situation is just minimally exceeding the status quo. Trickling in materials for manufacturing or fuel in biogenerators.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    And if you automated biomass with greenhouses, you'd be looking at potentially long cycle times for minimal biomass - basically the length of a harvest cycle for a small amount of byproduct (stems, leaves, etc)

Automating in that situation is just minimally exceeding the status quo. Trickling in materials for manufacturing or fuel in biogenerators.
    At least that way we could fill enough km2 of greenhouses to make it worthwhile and avoid annihilation of so many forests. My landscape looks horrible, I am a terrible monster, godillos already hate me more because of these crimes against their planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
    .... production of minerals, water, seeds, herbs, and fruit can all be automated by mines, pumps, and greenhouses (respectively).

Why should biomass be the solitary exception?
    I just like the idea of having one thing that needs work, and biomass seems like a good fit.

Although at some point we should have space-ships and planets with no vegetation and green house grown biomass will be needed then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Krookward View Post
    At least that way we could fill enough km2 of greenhouses to make it worthwhile and avoid annihilation of so many forests. My landscape looks horrible, I am a terrible monster, godillos already hate me more because of these crimes against their planet.
    That's not why Godillos hate us. They hate us because of that 1968 Charleston Heston/Roddy McDowall film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    That's not why Godillos hate us. They hate us because of that 1968 Charleston Heston/Roddy McDowall film.
    Godillos don’t hate us; they just want to play catch with us.

Post Thanks / Like
    As farming and even domestic waste has produced biomass via compost heaps for centuries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compost#History, it seems only reasonable that the same low-tech technology should be available in the future. Even something as simple as a composter would be more than sufficient - you feed in fruit, herbs, meat and (optionally) dirty water so that it outputs biomass. Bring it into the 22nd century by having it in an enclosed environment where power is used to maintain the optimal temperature and humidity settings while materials and product can be transferred via conveyor. It instantly becomes a practical tool to have for exploration ships going to arid climates and even more importantly, allows for self-sufficient space flight i.e. we don't have to stop off at every other star system with organic life just to stock up on biomass in order to produce food and any other composite materials needed to repair damage.

Of course, if trees would re-grow, I wouldn't feel so bad about cutting them down but a composter either as a separate machine or as a by-product of the greenhouse makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Herbs & Fruits consume biomass on the process. Composer would need to generate more to make it self sustainable. +1, I like it.