Thread: Why we are here: Coming up with a story

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why we are here: Coming up with a story

So, i've mentioned the idea of a story on another thread.
    And while i'm waiting to see if i have misunderstood, or whatever.

So here are some recommendations to get the story going in the direction that the games seems to be going.

What we know:
    We were in space, in some kind of small vessel/fighter.
    We crash.
    On an alien world.
    We can build.
    There may be aliens who built the alien artefacts.
    at least one other escape pod crashes nearby.

What we can infer:
    You are alone for much or all of the game.

So, what makes sense given this?

Well, we need a reason to BE alone for a good long while.
    Now, a survey mission would be better equipped and prepared than our character apparently is.

And a colonisation effort would be a big ship with lots of people. So even if it was shot down, there would be escape pods and people all over.
    You wouldn't be alone for long.

And the military would be a lot better prepared in terms of weapons and fortifications.

And an engineer is unlikely to be off by himself.

Options:
    1: You are a wildcat surveyor. You crashed or were shot down. You were hoping this scenario never happened, but you had at least the basic tools and preparations if it ever did. Your goal is to build a starship and get back to civilisation to stake a claim to this planet.

2: You are a scout for a colonisation effort. This planet was scanned, but not in detail. you and a handful of other small ships were sent ahead to plan out where the colony would go, catalogue any dangerous or useful lifeforms and generally prepare for the mothership arriving in 2 months. you crashed or were shot down, and the other pilots are trying to figure out what happened to you. Possibly they offer helpful advise while you try to figure out what happened. they don't want to crash/get shot down, so they stay out of the way until the mystery is dealt with.
    Your goal is to find A; a place to build a settlement, mostly flat, near water, and to clear out all the horrendous lifeforms in the area.
    B: find out what caused the crash and deal with it so the others can come rescue you.
    C: deal with the natives if there are any. possibly by making a treaty.

3: You're a crewmember on an explorer ship. Your ship crashed, and you don't know what happened to the handful of other crew. You need to scour the planet to find the ship/other escape ods and figure out what happened.
    In addition to survival, you have your original mission of exploring, mapping and generally investigating the planet, and the new mission of gathering the crew and repairing or rebuilding your ship.

These are just some quick ideas that fit what i've seen on the vids.
    More ideas as i think of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, This is where my downfall always comes into play for survival games. I play thousands of hours in strategic combat oriented games. So I basically always see a "military mission gone bad" situation. To me after watching the trailer, It seems like you were in a fighter/scout that had engine failure just barely in the atmosphere. Otherwise you wouldn't have crashed landed on the planet you would have drifted away, because there's no gravity in space. Therefore you wouldn't have anything pulling you to the planets ground. That's how you got here. The reason I say fighter/scout because of the aggressive design of the cockpit. A exploration vessel would have double cockpit seating with a cargo bay for gear and a ground vehicle. It's also clear that it was some kinda of military OP as you would not have an arsenal of weapons in a locked compartment. Later in the video it shows a VS47 Escape Module which could only come from a large vessel, similarly to the one you could have undocked from. So at the moment the only one that makes since is a Colonization mission. The real issue here is why were aren't seeing a rescue team from the mothership. Did it get hit by an asteroid? There's alot of WTF is going on here in the trailer. Thoughts?

Preorder Collector Nomad MoonEater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Azi 3th point, but Jamadin have some point.
    What if we would be some kind of exmilitary mercenary, or some outlaw (rebel, criminal or something), that would explain weapons and "aggressive" cockpit. Also would explain why you shouldn't exactly expect or even want rescue.
    Mercenary would be on its own, outlaw would even more to not make authority notice him.
    That could explain the crash, and why exactly story would not end after being space born.
    There also could be lost crew members in this scenario, also we could be looking for a good planet to expand reach of our organization, either criminal/rebel or Mercenary. We could got the mission to make small outpost and prepare for others.
    This one also explain why we could be able to let's say hack other crashed ships computer, to get credentials or authorization with I wrote on progression topic.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamadin View Post
    Otherwise you wouldn't have crashed landed on the planet you would have drifted away, because there's no gravity in space.
    There is gravity in space... That's how orbits work. There's effectively no friction so nothing slows down, but gravity pulls on things.

And I like the outlaw idea the best. On your own because you were on the run. Went into warp while taking fire from enemy ships and when you came out your ship was too damaged to leave the random system you ended up in so you had no choice but to try to land on the nearest most habitable looking planet.

Preorder Collector Nomad MoonEater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well yeah that's sounds cool, but could use some reasoning for building better bases than for getting out of planet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonEater View Post
    Well yeah that's sounds cool, but could use some reasoning for building better bases than for getting out of planet
    constant attacks from monsters/robots/aliens/bad guys would do it.

Night time in Minecraft is pretty tense until you hit a high level and have good gear.
    The same sort of thing here could happen at night, in some biomes maybe.
    If the game maintains a constant level of mobs in an area, replacing them as you kill them off, or maybe just releasing a load of them.

Might be nice if we crash near another wreck, and go climb the mountain to find it.
    Then we find a skelton and a voice recording:
    "They come at night, mostly. Stay inside at night!"
    "Build walls! Thick Walls!"

Then maybe a weekly event with a huge swarm, that you have to prepare for.
    That would give you a reason for real bases.

Also, if the machines to process advanced materials were big, or needed lots of power and infrastructure, you'd need a really big base.
    Which would present plenty of challenges, building and defending that big base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everybody,

I feel that planet nomads should have a story as vast as the universe within the game.

I have an idea about how to accomplish this which ties into wrecks, statues, ruins, etc.

You see, there will be no linear storytelling method where there's a narrator at all. What will happen is that you as the character will find artifacts, all over planets and such and each one is different for everybody as they are randomly generated. Each artifact will give you some kind of clue as to what happened and why you are there, even ruins and things like that could be random, I don't know for sure if that's possible with the devs but I believe that we need to develop the story in a way that allows players to keep exploring whether it's within just one place or the universe. I personally feel that having a traditional story in planet nomads feels like we would be limited. Although these are just ideas that I have and I'm pretty open to anything and will be happy to discuss your thoughts on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    Hey everybody,

I feel that planet nomads should have a story as vast as the universe within the game.

I have an idea about how to accomplish this which ties into wrecks, statues, ruins, etc.

You see, there will be no linear storytelling method where there's a narrator at all. What will happen is that you as the character will find artifacts, all over planets and such and each one is different for everybody as they are randomly generated. Each artifact will give you some kind of clue as to what happened and why you are there, even ruins and things like that could be random, I don't know for sure if that's possible with the devs but I believe that we need to develop the story in a way that allows players to keep exploring whether it's within just one place or the universe. I personally feel that having a traditional story in planet nomads feels like we would be limited. Although these are just ideas that I have and I'm pretty open to anything and will be happy to discuss your thoughts on this.

This sounds good.
    To an extent, you're telling your own story, but within the framework laid down by the devs.
    Which gives a level of consistency.

Nothing is quite as tantalising as speculating about the back story from hints.
    I'm just hoping it's not the tired old 'save the world!' story line that's done to death.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, and yeah, I really believe that if planet nomads had any story at all it wouldn't be a story with narration or a linear plot line. Although, the whole "save the world" can be done pretty well, just depends on how you tell it. I don't know though, I'm thinking that you're more the nomadic type so technically there's no home to save as you move around a lot.