Thread: Hard setting not that hard

Post Thanks / Like

Hard setting not that hard

Has anyone else tried the built in Hard setting and found it, well, not that hard ???

I might have to try the +30 water level world talked about in another thread.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I tried to play on highest difficulty settings too and I had to avoid using some game features to bring the game to the difficulty level where I have some challenge.
    My self imposed rules were:

1. do not hunt godillos for meat
    2. do not cut trees and plants at all
    3. do not get ore from surface - only with auto-miner
    4. do not use stasis pod
    5. do not skip night in the drop pod
    6. do not use the map feature
    7. use only wheeled vehicles
    8. do not dig to discover veins

The target was to travel to one of the poles and return.
    The return trip was meant to be made with better vehicles, maybe flying ones.
    Having no biomass at that time, I was not able to build wheels and I had to rely on using the ones I found on wrecks. And I found only one

Meanwhile the game was balanced and gives biomass when we gather fruits or we loot the nests. It is a good change considering that biomass is a non-renewable resource.
    So now, if I would play this challenge again, I would be more specific about what I am allowed to do with the biomass.
    For example one could allow himself to build 4 wheels or to build one single hover-pad too, to propel a floating vehicle.

During my journey I discovered that being under any kind of structure makes me feel as if I was in a building with air conditioning and I used this glitch to protect myself against the bad environment. Ark detects if the building is completely enclosed, and even if the door is open or closed.

Developers said recently that they find hard to balance different play styles.
    They have to expose even more customization settings and let the player decide what he want to do, with a warning that extreme values are not recommended.

I am afraid of the scenario where developers would try to balance the game and make it more difficult, destroying the game experience of other players.
    I like to rest and relax quite often and this kind of extreme survival is something I would let it as an option, not as an intended game play style.

What bothers me the most is that when I start building anything, I forget about hunger and thirst.
    So having a roof above my head is an easy workaround but with the self imposed rules mentioned above, I was not able to traverse the desert on foot and I was considering using the only wheel I found

I am happy I made a 6 wheeled vehicle in the end because the journey was interesting. Sometime the vehicle made my life easier, sometime I had to help it.
    We helped each other
    During the trip I was considering if "Rule 8: do not dig to discover veins" should allow to make tunnels or level the terrain or not. I chosen to build ramps and bridges.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the hard option increases planet size, nighttime, and make animals aggressive.
    I have not looked to see if the hard option does it, but in custom you can set attributes effect, gathering, and nest too low to increase difficulty
    To think of it, I wonder if the hard setting should have less or no wreckage at drop site.

For a hard game checkout TheRADIOMAN03’s season 2, he got just enough food to travel to the desert on foot, and has done no equipment upgrades. you can to about the same, by getting killed and selecting “New Drop Pod”, it may take a few times but you will find a challenging starting location.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI7lhLVLMIU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmtcQnSM_r0

I’m not worried or even wanted a harder game at this point, I think what they are creating now is the best starting planet. And after it is just right we will get secondary planet with options like increased gravity, no sun, three suns, zero G, super dense jungles, etc.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 04-05-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I agree. Itís pretty good the way it is now really. I like being able to build and travel/explore without having to worry too much about the environment trying to kill me.

And if someone does want a harder game they can easily create a custom planet with custom setting the way they like.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few suggestions for hard settings:
    Drop site in other bio.
    No access to autominer and greenhouses.
    Separated ore deposits so not 2 at 1 location.
    Xaenite only in lava bio.