Thread: Noobie Question

Post Thanks / Like

Noobie Question

Hello Everyone,
    I am very new to the game soI don't know if it is just me but I was playing around in creative mode to geta feel for the game and I was building a simple structure (foundation &walls). I tried to put some ceiling panels on but I could not get them to lineup correctly with the tops of the walls. They would only allow me to"set" them if aligned about a quarter of a panel width off the topwall. The end result was ceiling panels sticking out over the top of thestructure. Maybe that is the way it is supposed to be but it just doesn'tlook right...at least to me it doesn't look right. If I were to attemptto put a second story on the structure it would not line up directly above thefirst story due to the offset...any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    They can be a little tricky, but they will line up with the single-block wide flat section of a wall. I find it easiest to place the first ceiling tile by hovering the jetpack (default "U") above the wall until the tile is in place. Remaining tiles are then much easier to align using the edges of that first tile. It just takes a little getting use to to get things lined up correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give that a try. Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is that the game expects your cursor to be 'aimed' at a block if you are attaching another one. This can lead to real problems placing a larger block like a ceiling tile.
    Try placing from different angles too until you findf the sweet spot. If it is really not working, you can also try placing other blocks to give you a 'target' for the block to snap to. I do this in survival too, but just with skeleton outline blocks. In creative, it's no problem as you can just remove the unwanted blocks after you place the ceiling. Just be wary of the power of right click.....

I still take a few goes to get a roof on a building without it being too overlapping!

What Indigo is suggesting works too...you basically don;t aim at the top of hte wall at all, but just move until the block is where you want, and wait to see a 'greeen' outline to place it.