Thread: Suggestion: Distress Signals

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestion: Distress Signals

Distress Signals are a neat, fun way to find a direction to go. They usually provide a nice selection of materials (by disassembling what we find there, usually part of a building or a vehicle), and sometimes a Journal entry tucked into a storage box to give some nice flavor. A few I've found have even had entire buildings, usually very small, with a usable machine or two in them.

But...

I think we could do a whole lot more with these to make them vastly more interesting. Imagine finding an intact, or even mostly intact structure, a few machines, possibly even a generator of some sort, that has long since exhausted its fuel supply. Power up that generator, or install a new own, and bring that facility back to life and learn its secrets.

We have this very nice computer display block - the Terminal. I could see reusing this same block but with a different purpose. Placed in an abandoned facility, once powered, this Terminal could then be used to add new entries to the player's Journal, giving some details about how and why the facility was abandoned, as well as some possible alternate destinations. Perhaps whoever had previously occupied the structure discovered something - provide a direction or generate a Point of Interest to investigate. Following this might lead us to a wrecked vehicle, data pad, journal entry, and either more mystery to follow up on, or the fate of the vehicle's operator.

This is, perhaps, a little longer-term and reaching of a suggestion, but certainly one worth considering. I know of many of the abandoned structures I've found more than a few have made me go "Wow, I wonder what happened here?" Something like this would be a way to answer that question.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also liked finding the journal entries.
    I've found most of them now i think, so no more updates.

I'd also like to know what happened at certain sites sometimes.
    When you find an almost complete building in a nice location, but nobody around (of course). i also wonder "where did they go?"

Maybe the Gordillo's got them????

Post Thanks / Like
    hy there

"
    -introduction of NPC's. can be friendly (have quests / offer trade, join the player for base operation), be neutral (more or less in the pampa / stand around) or be hostile (pirate ties, aliens, etc.)
    - NPC can build limited, and have villages, cities, etc.
    - be sure to fill the emergency signals with human life, where the crew of the player wants to join in thanks. (see npc's)

"

Hughe sugestion List here: https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...mara-with-love

Greetings Shamara

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI: 70 of the kickstarters have earned the “wreck designer” reward, and will soon be designing wrecks to be added to the game. So we may be discovering wreck ships, aircrafts, temples, and other stuff they come up with.

I hope they will include new blocks for us to discover and learn to build, even if they are as simple as color lights.

also they will be switching the block unlock system, and the new system could include a need to find some blocks in wreckage to unlock it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Viking View Post
    FYI: 70 of the kickstarters have earned the “wreck designer” reward, and will soon be designing wrecks to be added to the game. So we may be discovering wreck ships, aircrafts, temples, and other stuff they come up with.

I hope they will include new blocks for us to discover and learn to build, even if they are as simple as color lights.

also they will be switching the block unlock system, and the new system could include a need to find some blocks in wreckage to unlock it.
    So I've heard... though the big, looming question is.. when? lol
    There's still a lot of development being done and to be done before this really shapes up to Finished Product status, and hopefully will continue to feature new content long into the future. But even in its current state, this is easily one of my favorite games to date. If PN reaches even 70% of its potential, it will be huge.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, with all of those kickstarter designed wrecks that can be scattered around the planet, I think the distress beacon idea would be great for those items. Wouldn't necessarily need a log and storyline behind those, just an indicator that there's a wreck at this location. It would help establish a distinction between the new wreckage and the abandoned sites that already are in game.

And, with the wreckage, I really hope that it will be a true random disbursement pattern, so that some sites are underwater and in weird places.

Post Thanks / Like
    With distress signals, how and why did these people roam all over the map dropping little logs at various half complete buildings and vehicles?

I have logs from near the southern pole, in the desert and near the north pole from the same guy. At the plethora of locations that he dropped off logs in "ship-wreck containers", he was also careless enough to leave random parts, partially complete vehicles and bases. Isn't the point of being stranded and setting up distress signals to stay in a nearby location and save resources so that potential rescuers do not have to follow your paper trail across the entire planet while you are able to wait as long as possible? Having multiple logs in the same container would indicate people following this more logical path but would bring about game end for the story quest a lot more quickly. That said, finding them in or near a complete (or nearly complete) base and vehicle would also make more sense in this context.

Maybe more people should be added to the story otherwise the distribution of logs with wrecks, especially from people who are meant to have died on the ship is illogical?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think those things are supposed to be less "half complete", and more "half destroyed".