Thread: The Base V2, bigger, better and now with storyline :)

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

The Base V2, bigger, better and now with storyline :)

Had some time left over and did a complete overhaul of my base. Now V2 is available and it's the final version until the Alpha of Planet Nomads is released. I lowered the sound in the video, hope it is better now. Also added descriptions of the buildings and other items. Lastly, I started a story to accompany my gameplay on my blog, called Commander Josh, The Planet Nomad.

The story can be found here: http://grandpagaming.blogspot.nl/201...-chaper-1.html

Just a little background about Commander Josh. He's a character I invented in the late 90's for a game. I had a game company years ago, called GameFun4U and released couple of games. One of them was Commander Josh which I did 3 games of. Only one of them has survived over the years, the last one, but only as a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRYL2mNCFks. The first one was a isometric game, the second one was an entry for the Caligari Gamespace competition (The creators of TrueSpace), it placed 2nd in it and the 3rd one was released by a publisher that shut it doors a while back. When seeing Planet Nomads, I figured it was time revive the character again for a new adventure. I retired from game design about 10 years ago or so and most of my games aren't available anymore, except for one, a short game I did for a competition.... SpiderZ (http://files.thegamecreators.com/nvi...sc/Spiderz.zip) Enough background, enjoy the new base and hopefully the beginning of the story as well.

By the way.... I hit the invisible wall when expanding the base.... I need more room Really looking forward to recreating this in the full game and of course expanding it more and hoping for new features and blocks. I'm especially looking forward to see everything working, doors, lights, machines and of course the vehicles and aircrafts and who knows, I may get the planetary lander off the ground somehow
    Last edited by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA); 01-07-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So that explains why your inputs were so accurate and grounded in reality, you were part of the industry, right during the first golden era of PC gaming.

Hope Commander Josh can overcome every obstacle on his adventures

PS: There's a typo in the title.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    So that explains why your inputs were so accurate and grounded in reality, you were part of the industry, right during the first golden era of PC gaming.

Hope Commander Josh can overcome every obstacle on his adventures

PS: There's a typo in the title.
    Typo corrected, totally overlooked it, auto spelling doesn't always go right. For what it's worth..... I like this new golden era for pc games way better. Hardware is capable of making games really believably. Downside is that we need less imaginations and I've found that many gamers are totally lost when there's no story and such.

Sometimes I'm still tempted to pick up game design in some form or shape again, but I know life took a different path for me and I'm happy with that. Now I've got time to play (and back) a game once in a while.

By the way, your the Building Editor reminds me a little of the A4 GameStudio engine, I think it's A8 by now. I guess that's why I had no issues using it quickly.
    Last edited by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA); 01-07-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the solar wind mill, I never even thought of something like that.

I hope it works in alpha
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishblend View Post
    I love the solar wind mill, I never even thought of something like that.

I hope it works in alpha
    I should patent it I've always looked at these windmills and how they start them again. It takes energy and someone needs to control them. Figured why not let the sun do that job? No wind for a while? No problem once the wind picks up again, the solar engine will start up the mill again until the wind takes over.

Hope I get it working in the game as well. Pretty sure there's no wind to power things, but doing it like this may still make it look real.... I'll just hide an engine somewhere

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    I should patent it I've always looked at these windmills and how they start them again. It takes energy and someone needs to control them. Figured why not let the sun do that job? No wind for a while? No problem once the wind picks up again, the solar engine will start up the mill again until the wind takes over.
    Too late. I have something like it outside my city. I think, that in my country there real windmills, but it have some prototypes on the town bus stops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Too late. I have something like it outside my city. I think, that in my country there real windmills, but it have some prototypes on the town bus stops.
    You have to take a picture for me please, I'd love to see those.... solar wind mills

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to take a picture for me please, I'd love to see those.... solar wind mills
    http://inhabitat.com/portable-solar-...ged-on-the-go/

Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks... still love to see the big ones though. I got to get me one of those

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally I found it: https://www.google.ru/maps/@59.71191...7i13312!8i6656
    Yes, not seem like as you, but this construction uses wind and sun energy too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Finally I found it: https://www.google.ru/maps/@59.71191...7i13312!8i6656
    Yes, not seem like as you, but this construction uses wind and sun energy too
    Thanks, pretty cool, I have not seen that before. Is it only used to power that single lamp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally, yes - one or two lamps on the bus stop.