Thread: Rotator Question

Post Thanks / Like

Rotator Question

I haven't tried it yet, so I thought to ask: If I build a rotator, mounted on top of a short column, with a couple blocks sticking off, like an old ship's capstan, can I push this myself, or is it too heavy? From what I've seen so far, our characters do not seem to exert much force on blocks in general.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been able to push a few blocks like that, but it gets tougher as you add mass on the part you are rotating.

If you get heavier masses that need to be rotated, you can start getting clever with some hoverblade assisted rotating, and just use a switchboard to turn rotation on or off. There's quite a few examples out there of this.

Hopefully the dev team will succeed in implementing powered rotors and hinges soon, and then you'll be able to have a powered turntable with no external apparatus needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    I've been able to push a few blocks like that, but it gets tougher as you add mass on the part you are rotating.

If you get heavier masses that need to be rotated, you can start getting clever with some hoverblade assisted rotating, and just use a switchboard to turn rotation on or off. There's quite a few examples out there of this.

Hopefully the dev team will succeed in implementing powered rotors and hinges soon, and then you'll be able to have a powered turntable with no external apparatus needed.
    The other option I've considered is just adding a pair of wheels that drive in opposite directions - I was just looking for a more primitive-looking solution.

Physics... they almost work ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done that with wheels as well. The biggest problem is that I always had to have a cockpit attached to the grid to get the wheels to move. Very clunky, and ruined the aesthetics (not to mention took up a huge chunk of space). The potential of having a "command chair" type of open control system instead of a full cockpit might help with that issue, but it doesn't lend itself to automation exactly. That's why the hoverpads work well - if you work out a way to lock them at an angle to the floor and power them on, they will provide rotation until they are powered off.

If there was ever a function to set the wheel direction and just have it always drive in that direction when powered up, it would help tremendously with those simple movement types of systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    I have done that with wheels as well. The biggest problem is that I always had to have a cockpit attached to the grid to get the wheels to move. Very clunky, and ruined the aesthetics (not to mention took up a huge chunk of space). The potential of having a "command chair" type of open control system instead of a full cockpit might help with that issue, but it doesn't lend itself to automation exactly. That's why the hoverpads work well - if you work out a way to lock them at an angle to the floor and power them on, they will provide rotation until they are powered off.

If there was ever a function to set the wheel direction and just have it always drive in that direction when powered up, it would help tremendously with those simple movement types of systems.
    I'm looking for something a bit more complex than just a simple single-direction of rotation, and a small cockpit wouldn't be so bad for what I'm wanting to do - actually might look cool when all's said and done, but it's really a matter of figuring out if it will work the way I intend, and of course, putting it all together block by block.

The advent of motorized rotors and hinges would, of course, change the design concept completely and simply things tremendously - but that's still potentially a ways off before we get such things.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what you are asking / trying to do.
    Is any kind of rotation ok?
    Like this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've set up an offsetting hoverblade configuration on a few things (like my sun tracking solar array that rotates to always maintain full exposure). If you put 2 hoverblades into a geometry that they are angled opposite each other, you can turn 1 on to turn clockwise, the other counterclockwise. Just 2 swtichboards to make it work, which you can easily toggle.

Just a thought, if you ever want to try to minimize the structure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    I am not sure what you are asking / trying to do.
    Is any kind of rotation ok?
    Like this one?

Capstan.jpg

In this particular case, I wasn't planning to use it as a winch - we have winches, I was hoping to be able to use it to manually rotate another block, but I'm starting to suspect mass is going to become an overriding factor, and I'll be forced to use a pair of wheels or hover pads.. either will accomplish the end goal. I suppose I could push it with a vehicle if I wanted to as well, but that may be excessive.

Thanks!