Thread: Fire

Post Thanks / Like

Fire

I am aware that there are rumblings of new and exciting weather coming soon but what about fire? It occurs naturally on Earth, why not here?

Drier biomes would be more susceptible to large scale fires but given thunder storms, volcanic activity, natural gas build ups and the like it shouldn't be so unlikely to encounter naturally in most biomes even without carrying a box of matches with us.

Heavy rain would be able to extinguish large fires but mild rain might only slow their speed instead of putting them out.

Fire would produce large quantities of carbon and biomass. It could inspire fresh plant growth on the extra fertile soil, other less common creatures such as the worm creature, that is in the wiki but not in the game yet, who come to eat the charred plants, fresh sprouts or the bodies of the creatures who didn't survive the fire.

Fire could be used to scare creatures, much like we use it now. A flaming mass on the end of a stick or poll can easily be used to keep all kinds of predators away on Earth as the animals are scared of fire. Logically we should be able to do the same here or go one smarter and create a holographic image of fire which serves to keep the creatures away without any risk of burning ourselves.

Large fires could cause so much smoke that the sun becomes obscured and freak weather occurs.

We could use fire as an alternative to the FAD machines to cure meat and cook vegetables. Sometimes you just can't find the silicon when you need it!

Just a few random ideas that let us interact with the world more and vice versa.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I know game actions occur on non-oxygen planet, therefore they wear a suits. And I think, that it very hard mechanic, maybe similar as physic water IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    From reading one of the many journals scattered around the planet, I am pretty sure it says there is less oxygen so running around would make us tired more quickly, rather than no oxygen at all.
    Same way with the in game water - we have to come up to breathe. If we were not breathing the air, what are we breathing? In the armoury, we have the option to build a diving tank. If we were using suit air, why would we need a diving tank?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Marauder View Post
    From reading one of the many journals scattered around the planet, I am pretty sure it says there is less oxygen so running around would make us tired more quickly, rather than no oxygen at all.
    Same way with the in game water - we have to come up to breathe. If we were not breathing the air, what are we breathing? In the armoury, we have the option to build a diving tank. If we were using suit air, why would we need a diving tank?
    Good point.

How bout this one.

The suit keeps you alive in any kind of circumstances so the oxygen inside the suit is breathable for you.
    The suit can only extrapolate the oxygen inside the suit once it is in a gaseous area, so you would be able to walk around inside a gas cloud or any other form of gas (oxygen itself)
    However, once it gets into a liquid area, the suit is no longer capable of renewing the oxygen supply and so it tries to filter the present oxygen already inside the suit.
    This process can only be maintained for a short period of time, which you can extend by adding a tank on the suit.

Nice thinking though

Concerning the fires, I like the idea, because fire is good
    I do think it will impact the performance of the game, which is something that is already a few topics going on, because smoke is a processor intensive thingy for the computer and the same means for fire.
    So this might something nice, but probably this will be implemented when all the other performance issues are tackled, otherwise a forest fire will freeze the game to slideshow, which will probably mean a lot of complaints again
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?