Thread: +30 Water Level challenge

Post Thanks / Like

+30 Water Level challenge

I discovered that +30 Water Level is no place for weak nee land lovers and is an excellent and fun challenge for well-seasoned players.

I just created the custom planet Wednesday and have less than 5 hours into it and I must say it had me questioning if I was up to the challenge.
    But I stuck with it, and so far a like it.

I want to say more, but donít want to spoil it. I will just say it is not for new players.

I used the seed Water Viking, 14k radius, Altitude 0, Water Level +30.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359755117

I youíre not interested and would just like to see a scan/map of the landing area, here it is.
    Spoiler-Alert!
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1359754923

Post Thanks / Like
    I will not look at the map.
    But I am afraid that the beauty of the planet will be hidden below the water...
    One way to cheat resources would be to let myself die and then deconstruct the pod. If I repeat that many times, sooner or later I will have enough resources, on one (or only one) island. Still I believe there are many islands and I do not want to die so many times

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh, I'll have to try that seed out. Sounds like a fun challenge!

I'm sure it'll make me want my small flotation blocks suggestion to come true even more! Heh

Post Thanks / Like
    I've played on max water level, and at beginning level...it is hell. But in a good way.

The problem is, you have to travel to find the resources you need to make water travel possible....and you can't travel by rover. Not very far anyway.
    What I ended up doing was bascially to do a hell of a lot of walking/swimming until I found somewhere I could build a base with iron/carbon on one island, and aluminium on the next one. Right on the biome border.

Basically...you build a scratch base, advance until you can make a stasis chamber.....then head off on foot. Once you find you spot, you start again. Then...once you have your ideal location, you can build another stasis pod so you can respawn there.

Post Thanks / Like

You can build this from a bit of iron, carbon and silicon plus parts salvaged from the wreck and the escape pod. Or..in other words...stuff you should have right by the start point. It only has 2 hover pads, as you can't make enough to hover..... but it's enough to push a single floating platform along at 23kmh, and with 6 battery packs...it has enough range to cruise a fair distance. It was enough to take me 4k south to get more aluminium to make more pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Flakmagnet that is Cool! I was hoping to see other ways to escape than what I did.
    I was able to harvest and salvage enough for this…
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1361199917

After getting silver and stuff I built a flying storage/printer vehicle, and a floating platform with deuranium manufacturing.
    (Nether drove good, but they got the job done)
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1361797135
    I had to relocate the airblades because twice at reloading some got suck in the water and platform would not move until I rebuilt them.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1362772961

Now that I have found xaenite, it’s time to go Mad Designer and build a ship worthy of this water world.

Spoiler Alert! This is my current planet map. (I have to wonder what it would look a different altitude differences….. )

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1362772020

Last edited by Casual Viking; 16-04-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Viking View Post
    I had to relocate the airblades because twice at reloading some got suck in the water and platform would not move until I rebuilt them.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1362772961
    In which game version?

Post Thanks / Like
    It was this past weekend, so 0.8.12.1.
    I had 20 blades attached to the floating block, and first time it happen it started moving with only 2 removed.
    I had loaded a couple times before with no issues, and there was no ground or plants near it.
    I don’t think I have a save file with it, but I’ll check and now that going to go mad designer, I will bug test.

to think of it, the speed did increase when I press W, it went all the way up to 0.3. I really could not tell if it was moving or not.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 16-04-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I had the resources...I upgraded to this. More speed and more capacity. The little tug boat took a long time to reach the equator and uranium deposits.

With a bit more fuel and more stuff to be had...I built an amphibious exp[lorer to go to the pole and look for Xaenite. This time.....I remembered to take enough materials to build a basic mine and extract plenty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Massive amounts of Xaenite found after a mighty long trip.

Word of caution though. On maps like this, the ground is quite steep as the only land poking above water is really a mountain top. An amphibious hover wagon is great for getting off the water and up to harvest food and ore boulders... but.

If you leave the pads in 'hover' mode, when you get out.....it runs away.

If you leave the pads in 'grounded' mode....DO NOT get out in the middle of the sea. No. Not ever. It can be quite a long way down to the bottom to find your vehicle again............

Now, as with all things, the design of the vehicle is a fluid thing. My large hover pad amphib now has a transverse stasis chamber just behind the cab as I found it was the only way not to die waiting for the Xaenite mine to do it's thing. I have also added 4 small solar panels to the little tugboat. This pretty much charges itself when parks in daylight, which saves time .

Next...I want to try 3 things.

1) Adventure Boat. Large boat with scope for driving vehicles into/onto it. This will centralise production and operate as a mobile base.

2) Build a wheeled amphib that can travel at decent speed but still float when powered down....and have good cross country ability

3) A flying/floating command carrier. Enough flotation to land of water and power down the rotors, and enough space on board for storage, refining, and carrying some other vehicles. No point in building a flyer unless it can land on water....as there is not much land mass on my map that can be called anything like 'flat'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakmagnet1701 View Post
    Massive amounts of Xaenite found after a mighty long trip.

Word of caution though. On maps like this, the ground is quite steep as the only land poking above water is really a mountain top. An amphibious hover wagon is great for getting off the water and up to harvest food and ore boulders... but.

If you leave the pads in 'hover' mode, when you get out.....it runs away.

If you leave the pads in 'grounded' mode....DO NOT get out in the middle of the sea. No. Not ever. It can be quite a long way down to the bottom to find your vehicle again............

Now, as with all things, the design of the vehicle is a fluid thing. My large hover pad amphib now has a transverse stasis chamber just behind the cab as I found it was the only way not to die waiting for the Xaenite mine to do it's thing. I have also added 4 small solar panels to the little tugboat. This pretty much charges itself when parks in daylight, which saves time .

Next...I want to try 3 things.

1) Adventure Boat. Large boat with scope for driving vehicles into/onto it. This will centralise production and operate as a mobile base.

2) Build a wheeled amphib that can travel at decent speed but still float when powered down....and have good cross country ability

3) A flying/floating command carrier. Enough flotation to land of water and power down the rotors, and enough space on board for storage, refining, and carrying some other vehicles. No point in building a flyer unless it can land on water....as there is not much land mass on my map that can be called anything like 'flat'.
    I think I'd want a combination vehicle for something like this - hover pads and air blades, with a winch on the front to moor it so it can't wander too far.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my previous water world seed, I almost immediately went to a floating base design once I had the materials, and I modified my long range scout hovercraft into a flyer that I could park on the deck of my base. Using a bit of a modular approach, I was able to add on to the base in chunks until it had everything I needed. A bit of an "open floorplan" kind of situation, but it got the job done. Then they introduced the large fans, and I switched out all of my small hoverblade propulsion components for 8 big fans, and I was able to hop over obstacles and land masses. So much fun continually upgrading and improving on the run as I was exploring the planet.

I would love to make a truly amphibious vehicle that I know will float if I need to power down over water. Hopefully some day the devs will come through and implement our suggestions of small flotation blocks to make something like this possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also found ample amount of Xaenite, it was a good hunt.

Because of weight the back of floating platform was sinking into the water, but I was able to lift it by adjusting the floating blocks just like we adjust a car’s suspension. This seems to be a good feature that I hoping to find other uses for.
    I have maxed my suit and stuff, but it is too hot here to do a major building project and I’m running low on food.
    So after an update to my floating platform, I’m headed away from the equator.

So far I have only found the monument near my landing site, and no alien wrecks.
    I did find a Mrk3 tool in a wreck building back when I just had a mrk2, that was sweet!

Post Thanks / Like
    This whole "water world" thing is an awesome idea, I tried it once already - and was just about to build my floating "get off this island and go resource-hunting", when a bug rendered it unplayable, and I had to abandon it. :(

I had built a small wheeled vehicle to aid in clearing out the first island. And I had a LOT of stuff in it's cargo containers .... which I forgot to retrieve BEFORE disassembling it (I needed some of it's materials to finish my boat). Which means, when I disassembled the cargo boxes ... poof, GONE.

And I'd already stripped the island completely bare of any readily-accessible ores. ::

Oh well, I'll just have to be more careful next time.

The kicker is, there was a human crash-site (just some vehicle bits and a hournal, but still) less than 150m from my own crash site. That was a nice little boost early on, the frames and plating I got from it ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well...I got bored with the little island I had made my home on. It was slopey, had few trees ( and I made them fewer ) and the view was dull ....so I decided it was time to move on. So....I built this to move on with!

Didn't want to leave my amphibious truck behind, or my hover speeder ...... so I am bringing them along too Just drive up the ramp at the back and it's all aboard. Need to finish off the accomodation on the boat, but she has refinery capacity, plenty of storage and 8 printers. Water pickup underneath for Deuterium production. Medium FAD, Armoury.....it's all here and ready to travel

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use regular motor propulsion schemes, carrying one or two other vehicles along should be fine. But beware of using "pusher" fans for extra speed .... I built, in Creative, a long floating vehicle with a small helipad, for a miniscule flying craft. Turning on the "boost" made it want to slide right off the helipad .... and the whole vehicle shook enough, the flyer wouldn't stay centered either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Ship, Flakmagnet
    I have been working my ocean-liner as I island hop, the design keeps evolving.

My experience has been that creative propulsion schemes are dangerous, but can be mastered.

I did 1 experiment with a small boat being propelled underwater vertical pads controlled by switchboards. Worked great, but ship was moving faster than my character and could not move forward on the ship, and turn off one side to steer had its own issue that I think I figure out how to fix.

With vertical blade pushing it; I get bad shack problems around 48kmph, but up to 44kph seems fine. (So far)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1367428564
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1367427931

Post Thanks / Like
    The ship seems to have a major speed issue.....and is absolutely dead slow. As a result...I am in the process of conversion to a flying carrier. Float like a boat....and take to the skies.I just want to make it so I can sail on hoverpads.......then switch to hoverblades. Like the SHIELD Command Carrier. That way...I can save energy and run slow.

Just need to work on balance, as I want the large blades to stay out of the way.

Time to play in Creative

Post Thanks / Like
    Float like a Boat, Fly like Bee, there goes Flakmaget in his Airship Supreme!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL .... Unfortunately...my boat bugged out and flew like a brick. So it's being broken down and will become the hover carrier. Quake with fear ....er.....whoever elese actually lives on the planet.....

The boat was beached, the amphib trapped under it, and my explorer boat was upside down. This was after I reloaded the game this afternoon...and everything just went haywire!

But...I do not give in so easy. The heli carrier is well on it's way to completion already

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice - I've had terrible luck so far with boats. The floating foundations are indeed terribly heavy, and something of a pain to place. I'll get it figured out though, one way or another.

Post Thanks / Like
    I build floating foundations by using the "pillar" / "column" Interior block. If the water is shallow enough, I'll just plant one, and build off the side of it. If it's deep, I'll plant one on the shore, then turn them sideways and make a beam headed over the water. Then I build the entire platform, completely .... before deleting the supporting column, and dropping the now float-worthy structure into the water. After it bobs about for a few seconds, all is usually well (unless I've designed it badly, of course). I can then go around adding engines, power, cockpit, etc as suits me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The next solution .....

Here is my new adventure boat. Just the hull at this point, but it has all the stuff I want built into it below decks, and a sunken 'harbour' at the back that fits my amphib truck and will carry small sea craft too.

Plenty of hoverpads mean she has a reasonable turn of spped on water, and can hit close to 20kmh. Perfect for chugging around the islands.

but.....when need arises.....

so does she!

Few minor hitches to solve at the moment....in that for some reason, she won't fly straight and swings to the right .... but she has achieved all I wanted. The large rotors can be doubled up to give more lift, and the underside has been neatened up so it looks nice as well. Just needs a bit of structure on top to break up the flatness. Lifts a craft in the rear bay with ease. 6 large containers, 6 printers, 2 refineries, large FAD, large armoury, water pump ...it's all there.