Thread: Active Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Active Jack

The Jack block is very handy when constructing vehicles, but I have to admit I was quite surprised to discover it is a passive block, and the only way to get a vehicle off of it is to remove it. I can't help but to think this would be so much more useful as an active block that raises or lowers, along with whatever happens to be above it. This would allow for so many more possibilities - a functioning "workshop/garage" for vehicle tinkering, a means of securing vehicles on ferries/transports, lift platforms, probably a few dozen things I haven't even thought of yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    There actually already is one of those, but it's hidden away in the Utility section instead of the Mobility section. Look for "Hover Jack" down towards the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    There actually already is one of those, but it's hidden away in the Utility section instead of the Mobility section. Look for "Hover Jack" down towards the bottom.
    I have looked at the hover jack. It can only be placed on dirt, which makes it useless for any sort of transport vehicle. Additionally, you can't place something "on" it to begin the build process, making it largely useless as a jack. I've yet to really find any good use for the hover jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hover jack is used for "oh crap, I need to add an extra set of wheels" situations. Basically, when you want to modify just a little section of a vehicle, without tearing it completely apart and starting over from scratch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
    The hover jack is used for "oh crap, I need to add an extra set of wheels" situations. Basically, when you want to modify just a little section of a vehicle, without tearing it completely apart and starting over from scratch.
    I did actually find a use for it when building my first aircraft. Wasn't so much a "crap I need extra wheels" more of a "crap, it's too darned heavy to fly" so I was able to creatively brace it, get a hover jack under it, power it up and hold my aircraft in place while I modified it. +1 usefulness for the Hover Jack.

Still not so helpful for holding things in place, since it''s a dirt-only placement. If that restriction were removed, they've be incredibly useful.