Thread: Release a Vlog or something

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Release a Vlog or something

Because sure, we get updates every now and then, but it would be good to hear from you in person every once in a while, even if it's not every week.

and it helps us feel like the project is not dead.
    Because that happens to a lot of EA games, and everyone's half expecting it.

How's the money?
    Are you hitting your targets?
    What is the next thing for us to look forward to?
    When do we get some character/suit customization?
    etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    They were releasing a "Nomadic Journals" videos on YouTube for a while, which were good.
    But they seem to have stopped. It would be good to see them come back.

Post Thanks / Like
    So far, this year we have gotten 7 sweet updates and we are only in the 4th month, I call that a lot more than every now and then.

True that is a slowdown to what they did in 2017, but they told us needed to focus on some features that would not be compatible what weekly updates.
    (I’m surprised we have gotten as many as we have gotten)

They do often reply often to post here, mainly bug reports and although bugs are not as interesting as upcoming features, it does show that they are very actively working.

If the cost of getting an sensible tech tree, new suits, and all the other stuff in their to-do list sooner is no Vlogs I’m good with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather they spent their time actually working - implementing features, fixing bugs, designing new things than talking to us in videos... but that's just me.
    Save the videos for major milestone releases and then talk them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on all fronts.

Yes, I do admit that sometimes, a response to a post takes some time before it gets answered.
    Best advise for this, grow some patience.

The only reason I can think off that it takes some time before a post gets answered, is because the craneballs crew is very busy solving bugs and implementing new features.
    And as long as that is the reason, I don't really care if it takes one or two days before I get an answer back.

I'm not really worried right now that Craneballs is going to evacuate PN any time soon, because since I'm playing PN, I constantly see updates and I see Goose and Martin responding regularly on the forum.

So, for those who are afraid that Craneballs is going to abort the game, based on the amount of feedback they post on the forum, look closer
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, thanks for your interest.

Those of you who made some videos in their life probably know how hard is that task and how many attempts does it usually take to be satisfied with the result. When you see five minutes long vlog, it means that someone had to do hours of preparations, like writing scenarios and shooting in-game sequences. At least two or three people are needed to shoot the presentation or interview and then someone must cut the raw materials, mix the sound and create the video. One video means hours of development lost. This is why we no longer do them. As none of us is a professional or passionate actor, we prefer to work on the game and let it speak for itself.

About the news - we've just released new update 0.8.12 which brings a new way to export wreck designs as a blueprints. Currently it is for our creative Kickstarter backers who will hopefully create some new content for the game and lately we want to open it for anyone.

We have also uncovered some plans how to deal with other Kickstarter rewards in today's blog post: https://www.planet-nomads.com/2018/0...arter-rewards/ . It means for instance exclusive building blocks and character visage that will serve to just a small group of people, so you might argue that it is wasted time and it would be better to do something for everyone. But those people are with us since the beginning, they gave us a considerable amount of money, literally made it possible to create the game. We have promised them having some special content and we cannot imagine not delivering them what they paid for.

Currently in development is also new onboarding, you can call it tutorial, which will guide the new players through basic elements of the gameplay to show them how to play the game and not get lost. This is tightly connected to quest system which will hopefully give some ideas what to do in the game to people who does not like fully sandbox gaming style. And also some uncommon rewards.

As we dived deeper into bugs in the game, we have noticed that some bugs, mainly that involving physics, are caused by old version of Unity 5.4 that we build the game with. We have an experimental build of the game made with Unity 2017 and those bugs, that are nearly impossible to fix in the old version are "automatically" fixed there. So we decided to upgrade the game to new Unity, but it means that we need to rework some custom shaders and other code. It takes more time that we thought initially so it is still not finished. We hope that we will be soon able to release the game with the new Unity. That will not only fix some bugs but also open new possibilities to use new features. Maybe better visuals and faster rendering, maybe better animal AI, we will see.

I hope that this has fed your hunger for information and I can promise we will consider making video next time we will have something interesting to show you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the great reply Martinsustek, I agree with yourself and Indigo (and others?), although the videos are nice, working on the game is much more important and I'm sure we'd all rather see you doing that.

That being said, you're all doing great work making a great game. Thanks. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    Currently in development is also new onboarding, you can call it tutorial, which will guide the new players through basic elements of the gameplay to show them how to play the game and not get lost. This is tightly connected to quest system which will hopefully give some ideas what to do in the game to people who does not like fully sandbox gaming style. And also some uncommon rewards.
    Will we be able to make and upload our own tutorials too? I would start by putting the newbie in the middle of a bunch of Godillos, to teach him to run.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    ...Those of you who made some videos in their life probably know how hard is that task and how many attempts does it usually take to be satisfied with the result...

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a vid of two people talking would be fine.
    Not a movie.

Patch notes are nice, but the human touch is important.