Thread: [MED PRIORITY] Winch forces vehicle movement

Post Thanks / Like

[MED PRIORITY] Winch forces vehicle movement

Game Version: 0.8.11.1

Simple Description: Winch on vehicle forcing movement.

Detailed Description: Built "forklift" vehicle, wheeled, to move cargo modules around. Used a hinge and a winch, with a few stopping blocks, to build a "fork" that could lift to a 40-ish degree angle, picking cargo modules up off the ground. The fork works as expected and desired, in itself.

The fork is on the back of the vehicle, with the winch facing backwards - the winch pulls the fork forward-and-up, in order to raise it to an inclined position.

When the winch is inactive, and the fork is lowered to a horizontal position ... the vehicle drives just fine.

But when the fork is RAISED (so far, without a cargo module - I hadn't built that yet) ... the vehicle sits still when unoccupied, but the moment you get into the cockpit, it immediately moves backward .... faster than the wheels could DRIVE it that way. Full forward motion of all six Mobile Base wheels is unable to counter this motion - it slows it to about 0.8kph, but the vehicle still inches backward.

Obviously, this renders the entire effort completely unworkable, as the vehicle cannot be operated in this condition.

Reproducibility: Every time

How to Reproduce: Build a vehicle like the one in the screenshot below.

Any additional information: I think it's a physics issue with the winch. It seems to be trying to pull the vehicle back towards the fork - even though the fork is connected, via a hinge, to the same pillar the winch is mounted to, and the fork is not attached to anything else.

Log file: n/a

DXdiag: n/a

Discussion: This concept will have to wait, I guess, for when/if motorized hinges and rotors are introduced.

2018-04-07_1216_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a very old bug / feature.
    I saw it first time here:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1118798694
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1118799009
    Some people will not be happy if this is fixed.
    On the other hand the straight forward case is not working well and is causing more trouble and confusion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I for one will be very unhappy if it is NOT fixed. I really, really want a non-flying option for moving cargo modules around - something I can conceivably build much earlier in a Survival game than I can hope to put together a heavy lift flier with six or eight Large Airblades on it.

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you send me save with that forklift? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I will check to see if I still have a copy of it.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, yes I do. I THINK I uploaded the correct save file; poke me if I didn't. The _main.db file you'll need is there, too.

http://pnbugs.gm_pax.pax.email/Forklift/

- - - Updated - - -

Small update: I played around with slight changes, and it still won't behave right.

Changed it so the winch is pulling upwards. Vehicle no longer pulls itself backwards - but is unable to move forward.

Reset the aft arrangement, then added another winch-and-hinged-bar, a very short one, very high up on the front of the vehicle, hoping the two forces would oppose and cancel out. Vehicle shook and trembled when both were active. When I turned off the rear lift, the vehicle rolled itself forward (due to leverage of the higher winch-and-hinge, I think). When I turned that one off, and the back one on (to try and self-right the vehicle), it floated straight up a ways, then tilted/rolled over to the side (and wound up righted, after all).

Whatever you guys were smoking when you coded winches ...? DUUUUUDE. O_O

hahahaha

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol Thanks for save! I will resend it to Pavel... he made those

Post Thanks / Like
    I think these bugs harm the game quite a lot.
    A nicely working winch is what new players expect.

A way how it could be done is to replace the which line with 0.5m straight segments, connected to each other through joints.
    Those segments should slide over the terrain surface.
    If the player stops the pulling force of the winch, the interconnected segments would act as a chain and cool things could be created.

If the CPU load allows shorter than 0.5 segments, would be better.

1) In the first iteration, it would be good enough to be able to connect two different grids together.
    This would help to connect and disconnect trailers - a very important feature in a vehicle building game.

2) A 2nd iteration - if there are no technical constraints - could handle the concept of connecting the winch to a sibling grid, allowing loops in the grid/sub-grid network.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thing is, the winch and shackle were never meant to be used in the manners we’ve used them. The intent was to give us a means to right flipped vehicles or pull stuck vehicles out of holes. To that end they work quite well.

What we really need are a few motorized blocks - a push/pull and rotator. Or a motorized hinge, rotator and piston. These will resolved all the things we’ve been trying to accomplish with winches since the first winch.