Thread: [Low Priority] Lag while building on massive grid

Post Thanks / Like

[Low Priority] Lag while building on massive grid

Hiya guys.

I'm currently happily building along on my base.
    I marked it low priority, because I didn;t see any other complaints about the lag just yet, so I guess it's just me right now
    The hangar for my hauler and the garage for my Ballheader MKIV are now ready and I'm trying to become creative between the 3 buildings.
    My entire base is for quite a big certainty one massive grid.

Basetop.jpg

The centre of weight is also indicating that it's quit heavy, which made me notice that my base is sinking slowly.

BaseWeight.jpg

I can probably proof after some saves, but that would kill a door on my base eventually, so I rather not see that happen.
    The problem I have right now is that building on this massive grid is now a real killer, because the framerate drops heavily when I want to destroy or build something.

Below is when I try to remove a straight line of square blocks while continually holding the destroy button

And then there is the proper way to remove blocks.

Building frames is a less painful experience, but it would still be fun to have more framerate power.

The videos where taken when the hangar doors were open and the hauler was about 100 meters away.
    I moved the hauler to about 700 meters away and then saved the game at my base again.
    Closed the game and restarted it.

The results were a little better

Last edited by DaFuzz; 05-04-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been having the same problems. I do not think they realized the size of builds people would be doing.
    Last edited by Xermaxm; 07-04-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect the problem is that, when you've got a grid THAT large .... your computer simply cannot keep up with the extremely un-optimized physics code.

I've had similar happen, when building a massive vehicle - despite 16GB of RAM and 4GB of VRAM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed last week very short lags too and I was wondering what might be the cause. I played only near a 6 wheel vehicle lately.
    Now that I upgraded the vehicle a little bit, I noticed again these short "micro-lags" and the pattern is similar to what DaFuzz has.
    https://youtu.be/bSfAetfLR6A

- - - Updated - - -

In creative mode, in my main base, I was not able to reproduce it.
    Loading the survival save, I experienced the lags again immediately.
    Restarting the game solved the problem for me.
    Last edited by Menzagitat; 07-04-2018 at 06:02 PM.

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll try find out what's causing it and hopefully fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    We'll try find out what's causing it and hopefully fix it.
    Nice, you need a massive grid to try it out?
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
    Nah, let developers place all the blocks one by one to test the snapping too...

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I already have save with your base from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    Nah, let developers place all the blocks one by one to test the snapping too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya guys.

Been away for about two weeks, thought it might be a good idea to change recipe for a while and blow up some loons in borderlands 2.
    Anywho, I think I'm going to restart the game under a different save, because the lag is really killing me at the moment during building.

Below is a video of me placing 10 batteries inside my base and it took me 1 minute.
    this may not sound like much but see how it looks like when I try to build something simple.

Now I've been doing something weird like thinking and from the little things I understand, I came up with the following idea, maybe it helps, maybe it's doom

I have been doing some programming in Java when I had to learn it for school.
    That still doesn't make me a programmer and I admit that I cannot code.

I do however recognise it somewhat and it appears that Unity is on C# and Java script,.
    From what I know, Java has a specific way of handling garbage collection, unlike C+, where you have to manually implant the garbage collection.
    This reasonably automatic garbage collection does has some flaws, because it keeps reminding things that are actually no longer necessary.

My entire base is just one grid, so as long as I can see some part of the base, Java loads in the entire base.
    Probably also when I am near the base and it stops reminding the base, if I fly away far enough from the base.

But when I'm working inside my base and it's not possible for me to see the hangar or garage, they should not really be an object for me anymore and neither should it be for the game.
    So my guess is that you can increase overall performance greatly if you can reduce the amount of garbage that's being remembered.

And maybe I'm wrong, but I hope it helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya guys.

I'm trying to find myself a nice and playable game since I started last week, but unfortunately, so far I haven;t had any luck.
    My latest new game had a car that was prone on killing me.
    It busted into a thousand pieces and into space when I hit something and eventually it killed me while I got out.
    I didn't report it, but I will probably do so in another new game.

So I thought it might be nice to go back to my old base.
    I had to lower the resolution to 1360x768 to get the frame rate to 17 fps.
    I must admit that I love what you have done with the lightning, it looks amazing.

However, the hangar door is still killing my frame rate to 1 fps.
    Also I noticed that the light are now flickering in the distance, which I see as a minor issue.
    Unfortunately I have to say that one week of playing nomads have primarily resulted in disappointments.
    Especially the killer car tore my fun into pieces, so I'll try to rebuild it in a new game.
    Hopefully it goes better then, otherwise, expect a lot of complaints from me.

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi DaFuzz,
    I'm sorry about your lost car and your last week experience with PN in old games . I believe you'll have better time in new save!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can confirm some lag on a "medium-size" grid. Connecting a container to the existing conveyor system freezes the game for about 2 seconds. Opening the container's inventory freezes it for 6 or 7 seconds.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Light/shadow flickering is probably a floating-point precision issue, and there's a slight chance that it will be resolved when we upgrade to new Unity (reversed depth buffer). I pray for it to be soon.

FPS drop is due to physics trying to solve equations that has no solutions. More colliders/joints means more equations and more variables and bigger change to get into some impossible state. New Unity might help in some cases but not in all. We are currently playing with an idea of adding physics-quality slider into options - so you'll be able to select between precise and fast physics, but I am not sure if any of the options will be good enough. We need to find a solution to prevent this situations, the easiest one is joint/grid breakage.

Post Thanks / Like
    However, the hangar door is still killing my frame rate to 1 fps.
    Try placing a small block to prevent the hangar door hitting the wall with the entire surface.
    By reducing the contact to just one or two points, will eliminate the lag I guess. It worked in the save from Orv.

Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    You're right that it okay when it does not drop flat.
    Last edited by Menzagitat; 26-06-2018 at 08:38 PM.