Thread: Rain barrels

Post Thanks / Like

Rain barrels

I'd love to see an item with a footprint size of about a ceiling tile that if left exposed to the sky will add one unit of dirty water every time it rains, maximum of one stack local containment. If powered, will do the same whenever it snows. Perhaps also add a large variant the size of four ceiling tiles that collects four times as much at one time, can hold multiple stacks, and also has some conveyor ports. This won't let anyone jump to deuterium farming, but allows for basic water collection in areas far away from the water table.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI: you can dig down to water level, and have a water well in all biomes. the water level may be near the surface or many stories below, just keep digging down and you will find water

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if that will be true any more at some point in the future, Viking... There may be a change in how the terrain and water is generated and behaves, I seem to recall reading that in an update or post somewhere along the way recently.

If that's going to happen, a basic survival tool like a rain catch would make perfect sense. It actually makes perfect sense even if it never changes, to be honest. A typical survival method when in rain-prone environments is to create a rain catch to provide a source of clean water for consumption. You could assume that the rain catch item would provide a unit of purified water with each rain. If there's reasons for not being pure, it could also be something that uses up a single unit of carbon for filtering with each rain to create the purified water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rain collection would indeed be an excellent idea. Producing one unit of dirty water every X minutes of precipitation would be an excellent alternative to add, once "dig a well" no longer works so well in all biomes planet-wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    If there's reasons for not being pure, it could also be something that uses up a single unit of carbon for filtering with each rain to create the purified water.
    It's actually mentioned in one of the journals that the rain is toxic, and also you need dirty water for farming, so having it auto-purify could actually be a negative. If the larger version is implemented with conveyor ports, you can auto-purify by connecting to a FAD with 9999 water pending.

- - - Updated - - -

As a followup to Casual Viking, in addition to what others have noted about water wells possibly not being a thing, in some locations the water table can be inconveniently distant. Monument Eris, for example, is a solid 60m away (59 from my position in the image, but I'm actually already underground):

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the rain catcher idea, brilliant.

It's great when players can openly discuss without negativity. Nice one guys.

I would like to add something to the mix, which I hope we can all chew over.

I saw a suggestion by another member on the Steam forum, damm - can't remember who it was now. He suggested a way of creating power from the air, not wind power, maybe from moisture and air pressure. This I thought was a great forward thinking idea which I don't know if any other game has it. If not then this would be a 1st for Craneballs. How this would be acheived I have no idea lol

For PN to stand out from the rest it needs suggestions and ideas like this to propell PN in this genre.

What do we all think and can you suggest ways to impliment this in PN?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don;t see the added value of rain catching when it rains.
    Even though it might look very nifty and gives some extra indepth gaming, I'm also afraid that the game becomes once again a little bit easier instead of harder.
    I already have a base with water pumps that are capable of hauling water automatically and they are most of the time, just doing nothing.

I think it might add something extra to the game if water would be extremely difficult to obtain, but that's just not the case, water pumps in automatically after placing water pumps.
    So, I don't see the added value of rain barrels
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    So, that's a matter of playstyle, I'm afraid. I'm personally not looking to make the game as hard as possible to survive, I'm looking to make it as immersive as possible. Every time I I stop and say 'oh, the natural solution to the problem I'm looking at is xxx', and the game engine doesn't let me do xxx, I wander off disappointed and stop playing for a while.

As far as difficulty is concerned, I think the better answer is not in constraining player options, but by creating a larger number of things that can go wrong. Adding lightning strikes to storms that can damage electrical equipment if that equipment isn't connected to a grounding pole, or flash floods, or extremely toxic vents that require you to build oxygen tubes in the short term while you build processing buildings over them for the longer term to reduce air toxicity, or a full out challenge mode instead of a survival mode that puts a time limit on you reaching all of the wrecks and monuments so you can research the cure to keep you from going mad like Delgado.

I could probably start a dozen more threads on 'things that could go wrong' because I really like that model (I'd probably even pay extra for it if enough of them were bundled together into an expansion), but I'm afraid I'll never be able to support 'you can't do mechnically easy thing xxx because it makes the game too easy'.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more of the rain trap being an early game method to get water, and/or as a handy solution for fringe situations like when you build a base on top of a mountain and can't dig 23 bajillion feet down to get to the water table. Plus, if they ever change the way to planets are generated such that there is no more "dig and you'll always hit water" exploit, and you are far from a body of water, you're pretty hosed.

Just another survival tool to use or not use, depending on your play style, situation, and how realistic/immersive you want to be as you play. Having flexible options for meeting our basic sustenance needs will make the game more fun and accessible.

*- edit -*
    Forgot to add: I was also thinking that the same moisture trap could be a condensation trap, useful in desert environments so that you generate a unit of dirty water each night cycle. Another basic survival tool that is a simple real-world tool used today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see the water flowing from one barrel into another if we tilt them

Post Thanks / Like
    Rain Barrels and Moisture Traps both sounds good, and thinking to the future when we can travel to asteroids and frozen planets I suggest adding Ice Melting Machines to the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
    I don;t see the added value of rain catching when it rains.
    Even though it might look very nifty and gives some extra indepth gaming, I'm also afraid that the game becomes once again a little bit easier instead of harder.
    How hard is it, exactly, to dig a hole down tot he water table ...? Sure, sure, yes, it can take a bunch of materials to build a conveyor all the way back up, to connect to a surface-level container. And maybe a couple Switchboards to route power down an _especially_ deep well. But then, you get a constant supply of water, all the time, rain or shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
    How hard is it, exactly, to dig a hole down tot he water table ...? Sure, sure, yes, it can take a bunch of materials to build a conveyor all the way back up, to connect to a surface-level container. And maybe a couple Switchboards to route power down an _especially_ deep well. But then, you get a constant supply of water, all the time, rain or shine.
    Exactly my point, it is not hard to get water at all.
    So why would we try to simplify a process that doesn't offer any added value, besides an extra way of building a tool to obtain water.
    I think this could be done very well, however I think it will have a huge impact on Craneballs to implement this tool and for the players,... they get rain barrels for water that is already easily obtained.
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.planet-nomads.com/2018/0...dmap-for-2018/
    We plan to change the way how planets are generated so it will not be so easy to obtain endless water resource just by digging down for few seconds.