Thread: Quad/Hex Copter Design

Post Thanks / Like

Quad/Hex Copter Design

With release 0.8.9.1 i got some problems with that simple design:
    - it is still top-heavy. At first I put the generator behind the cabin and that of course may be top-heavy. Now I should not have any heavy parts in the front, at the back are two containers and the generator and still the cabin tends to show down a little bit
    - the copter is fast (around 72 KPS), but the altitude is relative limited

With a former, similar design, but with uranium generator i got good results before. But building the same with 0.8.9.1 wouldn't lift with 6 airblades at all (to heavy) and also ist extremely top-heavy.

What I'm doing wrong with those designs for the current build ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you lift it with a hover-jack, if not one of the blades may be stuck in the dirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go into Build Mode, you should see the center of mass indicator for your vehicle. That is intended to help you balance the build properly, and will move as you add or remove blocks. That might help.

Also, make sure you aren't somehow anchored to the ground. I've had that happen to me after I removed the vehicle from the original jack and then modified something on the build while it was sitting on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    Also, make sure you aren't somehow anchored to the ground. I've had that happen to me after I removed the vehicle from the original jack and then modified something on the build while it was sitting on the ground.
    Oh - I know that problem since I accidently removed an airblade while accessing a container nearby. After "glueing" the blade again, the copter didn't lift.

But the copter on the picture above lifts and flies, but the cabin tends to be about 30 degrees below the back - which is funny since I moved all heavy parts in the back. Also the max. altitude is quite limited - I can't pass some of the larger mountains of my planet.

It seems you need a very lightweight design to reach high altitudes.

As you can see, the mass indicator is nearly in the middle, but tjhe cabin is still 30 turned down during flight:

Last edited by kairi neko; 21-03-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have another suggestion which can be a pain, but it's fixed some issues I've seen like this... You may be experiencing the same bug I randomly encountered recently, where some fans weren't really working effectively (couldn't reproduce it later). I had this issue with a floating/flying carrier base, where 2 of my large lifting fans appeared to just not be working anymore. They still spun, still tilted, everything looked right, but I had no lift until I destroyed and rebuilt them.

If this bug is biting you too, there's a way to fix it. Build a hover jack, land on it, and get that ship up in the air to work on it. Then remove all fans and rebuild them again, wire them up, and set all of your direction and steering. You may find that the craft suddenly handles quite differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to say what size planet.It matters. R10 planet will max at 90 ^ and the same design will max at 200^ on a 24R planet. Slow lifting is due to weight. small fans can lift about 640* each not counting the weight of the fans. Closer to the max slower rise. Slight forward tilt is good.Max forward speed is 72KPH. Your fans are too close to center for stability. Spread them out for better ride.My deut gen flyer 4 fans and 6 chests. Easy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISknFyAKW8Y

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kairi neko View Post
    As you can see, the mass indicator is nearly in the middle, but tjhe cabin is still 30 turned down during flight:

If you mean in the terms of the aircrafts length, then yes, but in order to balance the aircraft properly the indicator should be exactly between the pivot point which in your aircraft is between the middle airblades.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always have trouble using the 3x3 glass cockpit. its so heavy!
    I have to add heaps of stuff on the back to counter weight it. I usually use the generator and some storage, kind of like you have but using a different design.
    I think I've managed to get it to lift with only 4 air blades, i think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adding weight is bad just for balance. Alternative is move the front fans forward to counter act it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or move the cockpit closer to the center, otherwise the load is not shared evenly on the front and rear airblades.
    Last edited by JAAHAS; 22-03-2018 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Forgot an extra "the" in the wrong place...

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I use one of those simple builds most time. Both are easy to fly, the small one is for exploration, the large one to harvest my mines and bases.

ATTACH]651[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I always try to place the airblades in a _raised_ position relative to my craft's volume. This helps keep it from being top-heavy.

I also try to spread them as far out as I can, both side-to-side and fore/aft. This also aids in stability.