Thread: Problem with Big Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with Big Wheels

Hello,

first I'd like to thank the developper team for this game. Even if it's not finished, it's very enjoyable.
    I'm having trouble with vehicles with big wheels.
    When I start the vehicle it's turning fast in one direction (right when going forward, left backwards) it's undrivable !
    I don't have this issue with the other wheels.
    (I'm on macintosh - 10.12.6)

Thank's for your answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not a bug, it's a design/build/configuration error on your part.

What you've done, I believe, is simply click "change direction" ONCE on ALL FOUR wheels. The wheels don't know which way is the front of your vehicle; so on one side, you have to choose "change direction" TWICE. You need to look at the direction of the arrows, and make sure they all point in the correct direction.

Steering works similarly. One side will need to be changed TWICE, not once.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you _Pax_,

but I've tried every direction on the FRONT wheels and even no steering at all. The result is the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the steering option...it's the actual direction of rotation you need to check. It's a different option in the rotary menu

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly what Flakmagnet says: it's not the STEERING that is wrong.

The wheels on one side of your vehicle are rolling to push you FORWARD. The wheels on the other side are rolling to push you BACKWARD. The result is spinnign in place, just like a Tank would.

When you first build the wheels, there is an existing pair of yellow, curved arrows. They indicate which way the wheel will rotate when you hold the "W" key. ONE ENTIRE SIDE of the vehicle will install "backwards", because wheels always start with the same counter-clockwise rotation (when viewed facing the hub).

Let me see if I can figure out how to make a video to show​ you what Flak and I mean. Give me a little bit ...

- - - Updated - - -

Right, SO ... I can't yet figure out how to get my MIC to work with Windows "GameDVR" thing, BUT ...

https://youtu.be/zki8JM26iHY

Notice, when I installed the wheels, how the yellow arrows would have had the right side of the vehicle move BACKWARDS when I held W? I chose the option Change Direction​ in the wheel's Configuration menu, so that all four wheels had arrows above them pointing FORWARD.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I did. All four wheels (2 on each side) turn in the same direction (forward).
    I built my vehicle the exact same way I did with the normal wheels. With the normal wheels it goes perfectly well.
    Even if I put no steering at all, the vehicle turns right as soon as I press forward key and left when I press backward key.
    Maybe it's a mac version bug ...

--edit--

Sorry but in your video, you're using buggy wheels. I'm talking about LARGE WHEELS and LARGE suspensions.
    I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with buggy wheels, I've even built an 8 wheels vehicle who's working well.
    Last edited by dhgerber; 15-03-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    .... okay, next possibility is, are your wheels too close together?

I've had problems with some builds, early on, where the wheels wind up being so close, they "bind up", each one preventing the other from turning. Mind, for me it happened on BOTH sides, so the whole vehicle was locked up. But maybe it's only on one side for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so.
    It's quite a large vehicle.
    I will try another one and post a video.
    Thank's a lot for your help !

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries.

And you're right, it might just be a Mac-specific issue. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    I have made many vehicles of all types and this is something that has happened to me several times. The systems (wheels, Hover, Air) are configured currently, but going forward and backward turn you as well.

What I have found is that is usually one system that is wonky. I fix this be removing and replacing them one at a time until I find the one that is acting up. I have so far been able to fix this every time by this method. I have no idea what is causing this error.