Thread: Invisibly broken conveyors

Post Thanks / Like

Invisibly broken conveyors

There appears to be some extreme weirdness involved with conveyor system placement that I've had trigger on both a mining rig and a 3d printer now. All connections appear to be valid, all conveyor components highlighted and snapped into place, but the connection never happens. I thought at first this was a subtle alignment issue, but it persisted even when I had used the conveyor framework to originally place the mining rig, and then happened again with a 3d printer snapped to a foundation, so a placement issue should be impossible.

I also thought it might be related to the dense packing of small containers I had put right next to the printer, but eventually by unmaking and remaking both the 3d printer and the rig, the problem went away, even with all containers built up again.

A side effect of this behavior is that unmaking the rig caused a lot of the conveyor components to fall down, but the break point wasn't where I expected -- it was just before the L joint *on the container side*, which was actually placed *last*. I'm not sure if that's significant. I'm not sure if there needs to be a special check or warning when you have a conveyor item being placed adjacent to another conveyor oriented the same way, but for some reason one pixel away from snapping.

Possibly unrelated: when this bug was triggering, I also couldn't get a connection going even by directly building a Conveyor Connector on top of the Mining Rig, and another Conveyor Connector directly on top of a crate barely a couple meters away. Actually, now to think of it, I've never gotten the Conveyor Connector to work at all, but I haven't extensively tested it yet.

Unfortunately, I already saved over the state where I had conveyor components connected, but I still have a save where two broken Conveyor Connector pieces are attached, if you need it, and the bug remains persistent (i.e. until the rig itself is deconstructed, it should be impossible for you using this save to attach it to the nearby containers using standard conveyor connectors starting on either end).

If you need the save, please let me know how to get it to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to either build the miner or the printer first, then the conveyor line and finally the other machine, otherwise you have created two grids and we can't currently join those together physically afterwards. Even if you did it correctly first, by later removing a conveyor segment from the line will break the grid into two and you would end up in the same situation. Hopefully the blueprint system will eventually allow us to circumvent that limitation.

Post Thanks / Like
    No exactly. Now we actually have a way to "connect" grids via Conveyor connector, but it is still pain in a... foot to find the spot where conveyor tubes got separated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, this has been an issue forever.

It's especially annoying if you build a system and then have to remove a part from the chain....or just forget and think you can swap that t piece for a cross piece.

The part will fit in place, and everything will look just fine. But nothing will move along the conveyor.

You then need to find where your break in the grid is, and dismantle everything and rebuild it piece by piece working out from your start point so everything works fine.

I used to get this a lot, but I got into the habit of planning my bases out on squared paper for the core parts, and leaving plenty of extra 'hookup' joints along the pipe runs where I could extend out from if I needed more storage or wanted to add new stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you, Flak. I rarely use the straight conveyor pieces any more, it's easier to just put the X connectors everywhere for future expansion - they have the same material cost, with twice the ports. Doesn't help aesthetic appeal (no smooth streamlined conveyor run), but the usefulness outweighs my decorating OCD.