Thread: Did I reach some hidden limit?

Post Thanks / Like

Did I reach some hidden limit?

The build menu slowdown had gradually become infuriatingly bad while I had been building my second EcoRover and the game had also started to cut the connection from some of the switchboards, so I decided to restart the game to see if that would help. After reloading the game I found out that EcoRover Mk II was missing half of its wheels at the rear right side:

LossOfWeels.jpg

I was about to reload an earlier save anyway and redesign the hull to be less heavy and leave more room for the suspensions, but it would be nice to know if I there is anything I could do to avoid the power issues like dismantling a few failed vehicle designs or moving some vehicles far away from the base so that not all of them are loaded at the same time.

Here is a save with the missing wheels:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4cj0am878...e_197.zip?dl=0

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaahas, here is a recent report with lag:
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...r-loading-base

I am not sure if the slowdown in your case had the same cause (because people complain about performance now in the latest updates).

But because you mentioned moving vehicles far from base, it happens that the problem in the other thread was caused because the vehicle was parked on top of a player made surface. Part of the vehicle has fallen below and it was vibrating strongly.
    Maybe your problems started when the game was getting slower and not when you reloaded the save.

I am also curious what developers will answer

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inspecting of your save showed that it is problem of physics. You have a lot of wheels, hoverjacks and other physically active block in the scene, so this might explain the gradual slowdown. Sudden drop in FPS might be caused by some physics glitch, and missing one part of vehicle testifies for it.

You can see on attached screenshot how was performance dramatically improved when I moved far away from your structures and they unloaded. Coming back didn't help.

On the second picture there is missing part and you can see, that the joint is torn away. Actually it seems that it rotated into the rest of vehicle. I don't know how did happened and I didn't managed to fix it in editor. But even deleting whole vehicle didn't improved the performance. Each vehicle deletion added like 2 FPS.

So I am not sure if this is an issue of "broken joint" or "a lot of stuff in scene".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Having a lot of stuff small area certainly does not help on fps count. In my test world I get a ~10 fps drop if I look at the things I have there, compared to looking into the opposite direction while standing on the same spot.

Although I consider this "normal" as my cpu is bottlenecking my system, and it has a bit of a trouble when it has to draw a lot of things. So I'm not sure if I'm being relevant here
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for checking out the situation, I would love to get rid of the hinges, but as we can't (yet) attach anything on the sloped surface of a block , there is no other way to make headlights point 45 degrees down.

The slowdown builds up gradually and closing and restarting the game makes it go away for a while, the real issue at hand is losing power connection between electric systems as that I can only fix by reverting to an earlier save or by maybe wasting even more time by checking if I can find the broken connection and fix it.

While in this case the lost joint was probably caused by some collision glitch, yesterday I managed to make both joints to have a total existence failure when I decided to start dismantling the rear end of a vehicle in order to shorten its overall length.

I had the vehicle suspened on a hover jack well above the ground and just by removing one wheel I lost even the grid above the joints, only the suspension connecting it to the main hull was left. Unfortunately I immediatealy reloaded instead of saving the game even though this wasn't just the usual crazy physics glitcht that takes a few seconds to shake things apart, the grids just vanished right in front of my eyes in an instant and that may have been worth checking out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    You can see on attached screenshot how was performance dramatically improved when I moved far away from your structures and they unloaded. Coming back didn't help.
    This profiler screen reminds me of the Minecraft built-in profiler and debug info (Shift F3 and Alt F3).