Thread: Solarpanel Array - Sun tracking?

Post Thanks / Like

Solarpanel Array - Sun tracking?

The Solarpanel Array do not tracking the sun, even it has this big tracking-able-like mount.
    Since there are also the 2 fixed mountet version I think it would make sense if the big unit is tracking the sun.
    Or did I over see some config option to enable?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you missed anything, they don't track the sun. But I agree with you, it would be nice if they would.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    I just mount mine individually on rotors so I can turn them .... that's a bit more 'thought about'

Post Thanks / Like
    if you face them on pairs, back to back ,one facing east and one facing west.You will cove the whole days sunlight. True not as cool as a self-tracking system,but it should work

Post Thanks / Like
    Link to the challenge I posted on the other thread.
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...ll=1#post15264

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    Link to the challenge I posted on the other thread.
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...ll=1#post15264
    That'll be fun to play with. I came up with a super easy way to do it, but it's missing one key component that I'm thinking about putting it into the suggestion forum... If we could specify whether an electrical wiring connection was input, output, or both when wiring to a switch, we could do some very interesting 1-way wiring tricks where needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just been facing them towards the equator and have not give them much thought.

Has anyone set-up a sundial/Stonehenge to track the sun?
    I had assumed west to east and on the equator, but ....... this is an alien planet.

- - - Updated - - -

This thread just gave me an idea
    I’m building a deuterium power plant 5 stories under underground and have no idea if it’s daytime or night.
    I’m thinking on the surface I will place 3 solar panels, one face east, anther west and one up.
    Each will power a different light deep underground, to let me know if it is sunrise, noon, or sunset.

Couldn’t the same solar panel set-up be used to power wrenches to aim a solar array.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1332228599

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunrise in the east, just like real world. The sun is not straight over the equator, again like our real world. You can check that when you're close to the poles and watch the sun for several days.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2944 View Post
    if you face them on pairs, back to back ,one facing east and one facing west.You will cove the whole days sunlight. True not as cool as a self-tracking system,but it should work
    You would get about 1 Large panel's worth of power at any given time, about 450W IIRC.

In the same space, you can fit three of the flat Vehicle panels, generating 750W power all day long. With a sliver of room to spare, too.