Thread: Do resources (and grass etc) respawn (where plausible)?

Post Thanks / Like

Do resources (and grass etc) respawn (where plausible)?

So yeah... obviously rocks respawning would be a bit absurd, but what about grass, trees and the like? As long as you don't turn an entire tree into biomass, for example, will the remaining stump grow a new tree in time?

Also, fruit and herbs... do they have some kind of "max respawn limit"? If I make camp next to a fruit plant and depend on it for nourishment will that work indefinitely? Or will the plant call it quits some day and stop?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fruit and herb plants don't stop production, so they're infinite. Tree saplings don't exist so trees don't regrow.

Using a mining rig on resource veins does not deplete them (yet?) so you have infinite resources, There's a lot of trees on the planet so you'll not run out of biomass before your computer dies from old age.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleon View Post
    Using a mining rig on resource veins does not deplete them (yet?)
    Umm. Absolutely sure of that?
    I keep seeing that after some mining time ore yields drop to just 1 % each. Okay that's technically not fully "depleted" but still...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aremon View Post
    Umm. Absolutely sure of that?
    I keep seeing that after some mining time ore yields drop to just 1 % each. Okay that's technically not fully "depleted" but still...
    That is a known bug reported on both forums. Developers still have to confirm and comment on it.
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...tage-resources

The trees and plants you cut and the grass patches removed by buildings, are saved in this state (that are missing) in the save file.
    If developers would like to give the feeling that you live without destroying the nature, they could delete those "destruction" and make the nature revive itself after awhile, like in Ark.
    Else you have to "simulate" that yourself by editing the save file using open source tools like "DB Browser for SQLite"

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with this artificial regrowth through safe file editing is that you could spawn trees inside your base or over a hole you made.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    True, the plants are not marked with coordinates and you cannot know which record you have to erase to bring the tree back.
    I guess for developers it would be complicated to check all conditions to allow or prevent the regrowth.
    It could be easier to let the player plant trees and the game should actually create a new table with records of planted trees at specific coordinates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankies

Post Thanks / Like
    It just occurred to me that gathering seeds of different plants and bringing them back to the main base, to plant them, could be an additional incentive to explore the world.
    There are many beautiful plants, especially during night. And more could be added maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about this, and there is actually a mechanic that could be exploited by the devs to allow for regrowth, although it might be a little unnatural in the case of trees.

If you hit a bush with your multi-tool, for example, but do not completely destroy the growth (leave the branches intact) the game engine would still have the location intact in the database, and could just allow for the leaves to replenish after a set time period. Likewise, if you cut down a tree but do not destroy the stump/roots at the base, the location of that tree would still be in the system and could "regrow" after a set period of time.

That would let us "clear cut" any areas that we don't want things to regrow, but also let us harvest materials and allow for regrowth over time in areas we choose.