Thread: Auto Miner material collection is still very inconsistent

Post Thanks / Like

Auto Miner material collection is still very inconsistent

Just a (rather long) observation to remind about a strange ongoing behavior of the miners...

Case Study: Uranium mining operation

I have a remote northern uranium mining outpost, basically a large container, medium refinery set to make 9999999 uranium rods, uranium reactor, and a bank of batteries with solar cells (it wasn't self-propagating with the uranium generator originally). This rig has conveyors out to 2 close locations with autominers buried in uranium veins. Each autominer showed 50% uranium / 50% gold (I think), so each was set to gather uranium only. Let it run a while as I explored the area, came back and gathered up some uranium rods for my scout vehicle, and checked production - still good numbers (50/50) and uranium only being churned out of the ground.

Saved and exited the game, came back some time later to reload, checked the production levels after a while in game, and found that 1 of the miners was gathering much lower percentage of uranium, the other was down to something like 2% and was gathering a bunch of other materials at very low percentages also. Not good, I didn't want all that extra crap filling up my container. So, I emptied both autominers, deconstructed them both, placed them again in EXACTLY the same location with zero variation, and they were both back to 50/50 again, and I was able to set to mine uranium only again for each.

Every time I get too far away, exit & reload the game, or even sometimes apparently when I sleep, the autominers change their production values again. And they start gathering stuff that I do not want there. It's very frustrating leaving for periods of time, then coming back to a container half full of everything but what you wanted to collect. It is essentially killing any autonomy that I want to put together for resource gathering.

It's not an issue with the miner depleting an ore vein, either - rebuilding the miner in the exact same position in the same vein goes back up to full efficiency every time. It seems to be something very weird in how the game reallocates and calculates mining efficiencies whenever you come back to the same location. There is no consistency at all in the behavior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can confirm this, although I haven't observed it in this depth, but the percentages are changing when I go back to my remote miners. One of my miners went from 50/50 silver/aluminum to 100% dirt one. Wasn't a present surprise as I would've needed that silver.
    I rebuilt the miner on the same position and it mined 50/50 silver/aluminum again.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way how miners are currently meant to be is to do endless infinite mining. You cannot exhaust vein completely. Even if it sounds like good game mechanic to make miner worn (=less effective) after some time, it is not implemented yet.

So what happened to you must be some kind of bug, probably in save/load of miners.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can confirm it happens also to me, everytime I go away from one of my last mining place.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can confirm this as well, and my mines are 50% uranium and gold but once I leave and come back they are filled with all different sorts of ore, like Iron, silicon and carbon.
    and not so much uranium and gold
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same, a 50 iron 50 carbon mine had a complete mix of material gathered when I came back from a long journey, but still showed the iron/carbon resources to mine.

Since you mention it, I hope you can change the engine to allow depleting material if there really is a wipe in 2018. There are a few changes that I want to suggest in case of a restart and this is one of them.
    Of course optional for soft-core players.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this thread as this inconsistency is getting a bit annoying. I'm about to start a bigger project in survival and I spent my game time lately by setting up mining outposts to gather the necessary resources. But Almost every time I get back to the miners, the yield is different. I have one on a huge vein of Xaenite, should always mine 100% of that precious ore, but often it changes to 50% Xaenite and 50% everything else.
    Its hard to tell what exactly triggers the issue. Just going far away from the miner, then back (so it gets unloaded then loaded again) does not "break" it in most of the cases. Teleproting between monuments causes issues in most of the cases. But I have 2 miners ~20 meters from my drop pod, those were completely fine for a loong time. Up until just yesterday when one of them decided to mine different stuff then before. No idea why and why haven't it done that before.
    The issue would make some sense if it would happen when a miner is placed on a smaller patch, near the edge of the vein. Would be still annoying, but I can imagine some rounding precision limitations causing it. But It happens even if the miner is in the middle of a really large vein.

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed it is an old bug. I saw it in 0.6.x, before the wipe.
    At that time, after loading, the game was showing the world for a moment, before activating it.
    And I was able to notice a small shift (or drop) of the generator placed near the miner.
    I re-positioned the avatar and tried to "see" visually such a shift for the miner too but I could not.
    The percentage was however different when I was reloading the game.

Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    The way how miners are currently meant to be is to do endless infinite mining. You cannot exhaust vein completely. Even if it sounds like good game mechanic to make miner worn (=less effective) after some time, it is not implemented yet.

So what happened to you must be some kind of bug, probably in save/load of miners.
    What I understand is that you do not deny such a feature, to deplete the vein.
    But is it planned as part of the "layout of materials in biomes" change?
    Will a half depleted vein show already signs that it is not so rich anymore?

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with this (what I've been said) is that this indicators has nothing to do with actual ores contained in terrain. It works as an approximation made on past digging results. So when you start digging, it asks terrain engine to return sample and it returns for example ore A. So it tells you, that it's 100%A. Next time it diggs B, so it says 50%A, 50%B. Next 2 times it diggs nothing, so it says 25%A, 25%B, 50%dirt.

I am not sure if initial approximation is made on some little count of samples, but what I am sure is that this temporary averages are deleted on load. So this is why you get different values before/after saving and loading game. We'll work on it to give consistent results and precise values from the start.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be tremendously helpful for those of us who build remote mining camps and travel around the planet (and I think there are a lot of us).

Just a suggestion, but we are already able to choose which ore(s) to mine in the miner setup, so there is some data being stored for each miner at the moment. Couldn't the initial ore types and percentages be stored as part of that data, so that it remains consistent? Seems like an easier method than having the system recalculate percentages constantly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this bug or behaivior is not related to the bug where vehicles fall throug roof's of buildungs because of less precision postion gathering.

If i load a game where I'm close to the miner it is still correct, but if I than go to my remote bases they all at 100% dirt and not mine anything, even if I wait a couple of mintues.
    But if I just desamble and rebuild them at the exact same position the % are back.

Screenshots:
    2018-02-20_1902_1.jpg2018-02-20_1904_1.jpg

Improvemnt:
    Can you may change the filter so it will always display all ores even the 0%?
    So if it start at 50% / 50% but later the % drops to 30% / 30% / 10% / 1% / 1% I could deselect all those 1% right from the beginning.
    To keep it still easy to see which ore good to mine here (without the need to scroll the windows), you may sort the the ores descending based on thier % .

Post Thanks / Like
    Game Version: 0.8.9.1

I can still confirm that I am getting strange ores in my miners when I leave my base alone for a while and fly up and down to my other bases.
    Once I want to collect from my Aluminium/silver miner it was harvesting the usual ores

Ores.jpg

After a save and reload the miner was doing fine again, but the strange ores remain
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Implemented or not, the veins of ore play out. Moving the mines a unit or two in any direction while still on the vein, will rejuvenate them and they will begin producing at the earlier rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryP View Post
    Implemented or not, the veins of ore play out. Moving the mines a unit or two in any direction while still on the vein, will rejuvenate them and they will begin producing at the earlier rate.
    It is not necessarily to move your mining rig, rebuilding in place is generally suffice.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't even have to fully deconstruct it. Just start pulling it apart, once it is only the skeleton, you can rebuild it again, and it will work as originally, with the correct percentages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    You don't even have to fully deconstruct it. Just start pulling it apart, once it is only the skeleton, you can rebuild it again, and it will work as originally, with the correct percentages.
    Or just save the game and load it in again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
    Or just save the game and load it in again.
    That wasn't working for me in all of the cases actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    I take this back... It worked before, but now it does not. I had to fully disassembe the miner and re-build it on the same sport to get the correct percentages again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Then it is another bug, but very likely related to the one I'm describing.

Check it out,

I'm not sure how often it changes or when it changes minerals, but I haven'been here for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    just to make sure, but you are aware that you can scroll the mineral window?

but because the 1% minarals show up after sometime I already tryed to suggest the improvement to always show all minerals even the 0% and sort the list descanding (from the highest to lowest %-value) so we can directly deselect all unwanted minerals from the beginning.
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...ll=1#post14638
    Last edited by Xaver; 08-03-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Afaik it is sorted so there should be only more 1% resources in the next row?
    100% linux gaming