Thread: Guns, guns, guns

Post Thanks / Like

Guns, guns, guns

Hi Guys.

I'm probably going to suggest something that is already suggested, but I'm going to try it anyway.
    I've been reading on this forum about NPC here
    And I've been seeing a lot of pictures of vehicles with turrets and guns.

I'm usually a player that loves to play the survival part of the game and I notice that surviving gets easy real fast.
    It's even that easy to survive, that my medbay need a cleaner to remove the dust (NPC?)
    Once the airblades are build, there is hardly any reason to feel unsafe anymore and just grind resources wherever you find them.

I like the wildlife in Planet Nomads, but the Gorrilas (whatever) seem to be the most difficult predator to beat and they can be removed with relative ease (just jetpack towards a plant they protect, harvest it and jetpack out of there)
    And once the plant has been destroyed, the wildlife will eventually go to better places.
    Around my base there is usually very little wildlife around.

Would it be possible to create a flying predator that is big enough to attack flying vehicles?
    They could easily be the worst predator around, since they can fly around and have no stationary place where they hang around, they just live off the other wildlife (including nomads).
    This way, nomads will have to keep an eye on the sky as well while wondering around.

Eventually, I think it would be a very good idea to create some huge predators on the planet that are really worth running and hiding for.
    And with huge, I mean godzilla like creatures that might even be capable of wrecking your base just by walking over it.

With this kind of Wildlife, it becomes imperative to have a good arsenal like turrets and missile launchers to be build on vehicles and bases to protect yourself even better.
    Concerning the turrets, I would recommend to make them so, that they can rotate 360 degrees and they will shoot at the location where you are aiming at.
    This might give the lighter armed nomad the possibility to run for his life and shoot backwards or flyby.

Just an idea for a land based monster (it's a tarrasque from AD&D)

Tarrasque.jpg

I believe that surviving will get a whole different meaning after implementing these badasses.
    Logical to say, they would not appear that often and not in groups, because they are mortal danger themselves.
    Also it would be a very cool idea to implement some flying whales (or something like that) for the diversity.
    The whales could be completely harmless, but could be used for a spectacular sight of one of the huge monsters attacking them for food.
    Nomads could attack them anyway for resources.
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
    Just an idea for a land based monster (it's a tarrasque from AD&D)
    Tarrasque.jpg
    DaFuzz, great ideas and I'm sure more creatures/plantlife are in the makings... but come-on... a tarrasque is way to OP for us.
    I have a hard time just not getting killed by GoDilla's at times (foolish times). Being an old school AD&D'er from way back I get where your coming from though.
    I can see it now... you're all huddled away in a corner of your base (with pants full of poop) while outside a Tarrasque lurks nearby... awaiting that next morsel of a meal... YOU!
    "They say that if you play any Microsoft Windows CD backwards, you'll hear satan... that's nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstep70 View Post
    DaFuzz, great ideas and I'm sure more creatures/plantlife are in the makings... but come-on... a tarrasque is way to OP for us.
    I have a hard time just not getting killed by GoDilla's at times (foolish times). Being an old school AD&D'er from way back I get where your coming from though.
    I can see it now... you're all huddled away in a corner of your base (with pants full of poop) while outside a Tarrasque lurks nearby... awaiting that next morsel of a meal... YOU!
    Tarrasque: only wakes up to eat.
    After lunch it falls back to sleep.
    And guess what, you are all alone on a planet with other wildlife and are equipped with an electronic toothbrush.
    Hell yeah, you're the main course, since you are the only one survivor.

And you should be afraid, be very afraid.

Can we implement him now?????
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tarrasque sounds a lot like me on a weekend... Just sayin...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you add monsters then you have provide weapons and start a war. Adding laser mounts to vehicles using the light setup.You can add mining from vehicles and defense. LMB is mining.Option for auto load into vehicle chests or drop it on the ground requiring you to pick it up. RMB could be weapon function. More power and distance. Uses power from vehicle to keep it simple. Use mining and assult rifle animations. I'd just check no nests in new game start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking about guns.

The devs once said that we play as engineer (not a spacemarine or such) and thus there will be no focus on killing fauna and destroying things. Which is fine by me.

But from the other hand we have survival going on, right? Every bullet counts and so on.
    To take out one godillo you will need about one mag full of ammo assuming that you never miss. And it is almost constant number (+/- couple shots), plus there is no ability to aim, no critical hits, no limbs damage.

So, instead of adding new weapons, I'd preferred to fix current ones.

General:
    • introduce damage bonus for hitting a weak spots (plus visual), aka critical hit
    • add effects on limbs damage, i.e. slower movement, disability to throw rocks, etc

Guns with iron sights:
    • add a secondary firing mode for aiming (-fov +crit bonus)

Multytool
    • instead of damage make it stun enemies for short period of time
    Last edited by smerch; 09-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smerch View Post
    Speaking about guns.

The devs once said that we play as engineer (not a spacemarine or such) and thus there will be no focus on killing fauna and destroying things. Which is fine by me.

But from the other hand we have survival going on, right? Every bullet counts and so on.
    To take out one godillo you will need about one mag full of ammo assuming that you never miss. And it is almost constant number (+/- couple shots), plus there is no ability to aim, no critical hits, no limbs damage.

So, instead of adding new weapons, I'd preferred to fix current ones.

General:
    • introduce damage bonus for hitting a weak spots (plus visual), aka critical hit
    • add effects on limbs damage, i.e. slower movement, disability to throw rocks, etc

Guns with iron sights:

Multytool
    Godo's are annoying.They don't want to play nice. The rest aren't that bad. I've had godo nests close to my crash site. Their patrolling ends a rocks throw away.This is not acceptable. This is on low nest setting.If I try very low nest setting i get 3 godo nests in 100 range plus other critters. Had 5 nests in 100 range. Shock would be good. Godo nests at crash sites also annoying. I just want the loot but i will shoot. Classic saying. Adding vehical mining option could be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    @tp555, you should try different seed (or try mine Tartar/Miranda).

Back on topic.

I like @DaFuzz's idea to add some gigantic creatures so that upcoming turret guns be more useful.

But my point is that current gun mechanics have some flaws. And to address this flaws I came up with suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by smerch View Post
    General:

Guns with iron sights:

Multytool

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to bump this thread up again, because even though I appreciate the endless building time I have in the game, There is not a shred of danger that I'm worried about.
    the most exiting time I can have is when I harvest trees for Biomass, because the trees are aiming for me and if I don't move, I get killed by a tree trunk.
    That's about the survival part of the game, which in lame man terms would be called "it sucks"

I know you guys are very busy with all the posts that we (the gamers/testers) are posting here and of course you guys are busy expanding the game to what it should become.
    However, after half a year of playing, I primarily notice bug fixes and new tools to use, but the survival part of the game remains absent.(and I am also well aware that you guys are aware of this.)

So my suggestion to make PN a little bit more like a survival game, please implement dangerous predators that are not bound to a specific location like plants or other small animal bases.
    These predators should not only eat happy scared little nomads, but also all the other wild life on the planet (this would make for good distractions if you encounter a predator)
    The predators should be capable of walking/running, flying and/or swimming (So I guess there will be a lot more predators on the planet).

How bout a predator that has a natural cloaking device that makes it virtually impossible to detect when it's lurking for it's prey. (something like a salamander type of creature)
    Or a predator that is lying beneath the surface of the earth, waiting for an unfortunate prey to walk by. (think dune worms, already saw it suggested a couple of times)
    A flying predator that circles the sky once it sees something eatable.
    A swimming predator that is so fast that it could jump out of the water, so that even the use of the jetpack might be too late once you spotted it. (you may want to implement prey fish then too, to make it believable that they survived)

These are just 4 types of predators I can think up that will decrease the changes of survival greatly and it would be possible to create more predators like this.
    It might even be possible to let the predators attack the predators for domination of territory and create some extra liveliness to the planet.

Imagine two swimming predators in a lake that meet each other and start to fight over their territory.
    I'm certain that Nomads will think twice about going in the water.
    Or a flying predator that circles or hovers above you, it might be a good idea to run towards shelter or end up like breakfast.
    Or the lurking predator underneath the sand or somewhere in the bushes, Always good keep the nomads on high alert for unexpected diner (you're the main course)

The reason why I'm hammering on about this, is that I don't see the current implemented creatures to become more dangerous then they already are.
    As a matter of fact, They have become predictable and are even very easily to fool or distract and even to be removed.
    Maybe you have some plans for them, but I am still not convinced yet that these creatures will pose a threat once their base is destroyed. (or even before their base is destroyed for that matter)

they graze and walk and sometimes they growl when you get near them and in some cases, they attack me.
    But that''s only happening when I set out to scout while on foot/jetpack, because near my base or inside a vehicle, I'm peachy.
    And to increase the survival feeling in the game, I should not feel comfortable when I'm inside a vehicle, I should still be on high alert, even when I have some extra body armor around me (read vehicle)
    Since I'm doing a lot of building and very little exploring (unless I run out of resources) the implementation of the predators will greatly enhance the feeling for survival.

I can imagine how much more exciting it will become if I'm building my base and I have to check my surroundings first to see if it's safe to come out of my base.
    I would have to check the surrounding area and also the sky, but once I think I am safe to come out, I would still need to check the area and sky regularly for predators.
    and in my case, I even need to check the water to see if there might be a predator there.

I think only then, your wonderful game will get a feeling of danger and survival AT ALL times, compared to none whatsoever right now.

I hope you take this advice to heart, or otherwise can inform me about the upcoming dangers you have in mind right now.
    Last edited by DaFuzz; 30-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstep70 View Post
    There is only one Tarrasque in the world at a time, and if you nat on your handle animal check he can be your mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xermaxm View Post
    There is only one Tarrasque in the world at a time, and if you nat on your handle animal check he can be your mount.
    I would not implement mounts in the game, leave the animals be wild.
    I do like to see a nomad try to tame and mount the animal, right before he gets swallowed

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
    ...These predators should not only eat happy scared little nomads, but also all the other wild life on the planet (this would make for good distractions if you encounter a predator)
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/504050...93068432945094

Quote Originally Posted by Craneballs
    This kind of behavior was in the game even before the dying animation. It was funny to watch them chasing each other and then prey just disappeared . But it whole was very erratic and unclear. So we decided to rework it completely, this time with basic terrain awareness, but with no prey-predator relationship.
    Considering how hard the player is moving, how weak strafe is when flying and the lack of strafe in vehicles, the feeling you will get when you have to avoid a predator might not be the best one...

Post Thanks / Like
    With the fantastic new nest looting, I'm thinking a stun gun should be considered.

Now that building a base in a wild life park is a good option, having stun guns would make for a really fun RP.
    I know that there are players that like the option of not needing to kill animals, and stun guns could enhance their game-play.

Maybe the multi-tool could change, and left–click would be stun, and right-click would be kill.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 30-03-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/504050...93068432945094

Considering how hard the player is moving, how weak strafe is when flying and the lack of strafe in vehicles, the feeling you will get when you have to avoid a predator might not be the best one...
    How bout we give the predators a stomach?
    Meaning they can eat only so much (like for example 3 or 4 deers and then they are full.
    So if the predator ate 4 deer, it would turn into a prey (or at least some of it's behaviour).
    So it could go strolling around or lie underneath a tree and sleep there.

Once it's stomach becomes empty again, it will turn into a prey again and starts hunting for prey or nomads, until it's stomach is full.

So the script could be Hunt while hungry and when well fed, it walks around the planet or sleeps somewhere.
    Once a nomad encounters a predator like this, the outcome could be one of the following.

Hungry
    The predator immediately attacks the nomad on sight.

Not hungry
    The predator attacks the nomad once spotted.
    The predator ignores the nomad if it does not see it as a threat. (ie, doesn't come close enough)

The stomach can have the same idea like batteries, so they empty slowly, but continuously.
    Once the predator goes to sleep, it's stomach would not empty as fast as when it would be walking or hunting.
    The predator automatically starts hunting once it's stomach is about 40% full, just to make sure that it got some reserves to hunt.
    The stomach should be on 40% about twice a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    What? No Sarlacc?

Sarlacc_sm.jpg