Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: [Suggestions & Questions] Editor blocks and functions

  1. #1
    Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    [Suggestions & Questions] Editor blocks and functions

    So first a few questions: How does a generator generate? What does it need? Is there anything currently in the editor to tell us if it's properly hooked up at this time? I ask because I connected a tank to it (assuming it needs fuel) and ran some wires into it, and nothing happened.

    Second: can we pass wires through walls? The problem is the offset of the wall block, so we might need a wall with a built-in wire, or some other method.

    Suggestions for blocks:

    There's a sloped wall corner and a sloped window corner, but they're two different shapes of blocks. We need a version of a sloped corner wall that looks like the sloped corner window. (Current sloped corner wall should probably just be called "Sloped Wall").

    I REALLY like that you have T and X versions of wire and pipe - something SE always left out with conveyors. But I'd love to see some 45 variants - basically a 90 but it doesn't look like a 90, so we can build angular hallways with wire running along the floor or ceiling.

    On that same note, I think you need a 90 wire that transitions from wall to ceiling/floor or bends 90 on a corner to wrap around the outside AND/OR inside of a corner. I imagine some people will want to hide wire by popping it up through a ceiling (see second question) and then running it along a Jeffries tube or something similar.

    I like the textures - I like the appearance of some of the parts and I know it'll only get better. I also like the sheer variety already available, and I'm anxious to see what the future has in store. Looking forward to actually getting to walk around my creations and taking this game for a test drive. You KNOW Space Engineers is going to be your fiercest competitor; so stick it to 'em!

  2. #2
    Member Maslostroj (Daniel)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey ViperMan,

    We're coding the energy distribution system for the game now (well, we've finished actually, but there will be more iterations). The Editor and the game are going separate ways, and as a small team we want to focus on the game, so there won't be any further updates for the Editor.

    So to your question - it's all decorative and for designing. There is no functionality or physics.

    Since the wires take the size of one full block, it can quickly get too clunky and for the game we're opting in for built-in wires and then add switch blocks and decorative wiring for design purposes.

    Blocks suggestions noted.

    Thanks for the encouragement, we're on it
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

  3. #3
    Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Hey ViperMan,

    We're coding the energy distribution system for the game now (well, we've finished actually, but there will be more iterations). The Editor and the game are going separate ways, and as a small team we want to focus on the game, so there won't be any further updates for the Editor.

    So to your question - it's all decorative and for designing. There is no functionality or physics.

    Since the wires take the size of one full block, it can quickly get too clunky and for the game we're opting in for built-in wires and then add switch blocks and decorative wiring for design purposes.

    Blocks suggestions noted.

    Thanks for the encouragement, we're on it
    Thanks, Maslostroj! I appreciate the response!

    I completely understand that the editor isn't going to be updated - makes sense, frankly.

    The wiring thing is one of those "mixed bags of blessings" - some players in Space Engineers have been clamoring for it for a long time, and I've always been one of the opponents to the idea. I agree - trying to cover every different direction someone wants to go with wires would be unbelievably tedious and time-consuming, for both the developers AND the folks playing the game. So if the decision is made to scrap it entirely and make electricity simply run through a grid, I'm totally on board with that. A few blocks left in for cosmetics though is a great idea!!

  4. #4
    Kickstarter Alpha Nomad TCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Albert Canada
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if there are no more updates for the editor. Is there a in game editor?

  5. #5
    Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    So if there are no more updates for the editor. Is there a in game editor?
    Yep.You build stuff

    but seriously, when the game is more complete, i imagine there will be an 'R&D' mode, which is just infinite blocks and an empty place to build and test.
    That way you can build without starving, and then import your well-thought-out designs into the game world.

  6. #6
    Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Hey ViperMan,

    We're coding the energy distribution system for the game now (well, we've finished actually, but there will be more iterations). The Editor and the game are going separate ways, and as a small team we want to focus on the game, so there won't be any further updates for the Editor.

    So to your question - it's all decorative and for designing. There is no functionality or physics.

    Since the wires take the size of one full block, it can quickly get too clunky and for the game we're opting in for built-in wires and then add switch blocks and decorative wiring for design purposes.

    Blocks suggestions noted.

    Thanks for the encouragement, we're on it
    How about improved efficiency if you can connect things with wires?

    Also, i'd suggest a 'wire block' similar to the pipe block, for putting wiring through walls, without leaving holes.

  7. #7
    Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    How about improved efficiency if you can connect things with wires?
    No, please not, do you realize how tedious connecting light sources and such to energy sources then would become? They have worked out a good and easy system, don't ask them to mess that up with something that would prove to be very annoying and unworkable in the end. If you decide to build something huge (which in the end most of us will do) then you'll be spending hours wiring stuff, no thanks. That means you would need wires everywhere to get power, even on vehicles, planes and spaceships..... bad idea and in some cases even impossible. Wires being all decorative and for designing without functionality or physics the best way to go and avoid needless and annoying complexity.

    Having said that, both would work, so you can chose, whereby we can chose what we like to use, but that may be technically not possible. Then you could in theory double power an item, which may cause other issues.

  8. #8
    Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    No, please not, do you realize how tedious connecting light sources and such to energy sources then would become? They have worked out a good and easy system, don't ask them to mess that up with something that would prove to be very annoying and unworkable in the end. If you decide to build something huge (which in the end most of us will do) then you'll be spending hours wiring stuff, no thanks. That means you would need wires everywhere to get power, even on vehicles, planes and spaceships..... bad idea and in some cases even impossible. Wires being all decorative and for designing without functionality or physics the best way to go and avoid needless and annoying complexity.

    Having said that, both would work, so you can chose, whereby we can chose what we like to use, but that may be technically not possible. Then you could in theory double power an item, which may cause other issues.
    I agree, the current power system works, maybe a few tweaks as bugs get found but wireless energy transmission is the way forward.
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

    See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

  9. #9
    Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Except you don't have to.

    Hence: improved efficiency rather than 'it doesn't work.'

    And i know exactly how tedious it would be.
    Almost exactly as tedious as laying any other block of the same size.

  10. #10
    Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Except you don't have to.

    Hence: improved efficiency rather than 'it doesn't work.'

    And i know exactly how tedious it would be.
    Almost exactly as tedious as laying any other block of the same size.
    Actually there is a wireless energy transmission, did you even watch the video I pointed you towards in another thread? It's very easy to use and changing it would be foolish.

  11. #11
    Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    No................................

  12. #12
    Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    No................................
    Well here you go them, it is in the correct place and they have placed a generator down and then lights before powering them using wireless energy transmission.

    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

    See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

  13. #13
    Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, hope she watches it, it's really cool!

  14. #14
    Kickstarter Alpha Nomad TCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Albert Canada
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I like to build and a SP. Here is a small sample.













    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TCR; 02-08-2016 at 06:03 AM.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator Wazbat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like
    For future reference you can embedd images by pasting the direct image url between the [img] [/img] tags

  16. #16
    Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishblend View Post
    Well here you go them, it is in the correct place and they have placed a generator down and then lights before powering them using wireless energy transmission.

    That's not necessarily 'wireless energy transition'.
    It definitely is a functional linkage. You can see that it works.

    But we are left to put our own interpretation on it.
    Is it actually a wireless linkage?
    Is it just what we have now, at this stage?
    Who knows. No one said officially.

    As i said before, in the absence of direction, we are left to make our own.

    It would be good to have a little more ideas nailed down by the devs.

  17. #17
    Kickstarter Alpha Nomad TCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Albert Canada
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I changed it. Some forums don't like large pictures. Thanks for the tip.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •