Thread: Bridge building help

Post Thanks / Like

Question Bridge building help

So I'm travelling south by car and came across a river too deep for it to cross by just driving on the riverbed (tried it, got stuck. This feels like a metaphor for something). I haven't got the right materials to make hover equipment yet hence travelling to look for these.

I'm trying to make a bridge using floor pieces but having a hard time placing and lining them up and there's animals on the other side which could be a risk. Presently placing these is a pain as the object places relative to the player character which ends up with them in the middle blocking placement. I keep running out of carbon for frames too.

Any advice for getting across? The floating platforms also require rarer materials I do not have. Some sort of bridge-building feature would be useful for this kind of thing.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    In those situations, I usually use the cantilever build method. Line your character up on the one bank of the river, looking directly at where you want to build, then look down and place the first floor right in front of you. Don't finish, just the frame. Walk up onto the frame, drop another floor at the far edge, then just keep repeating. It doesn't figure in physics and loads, so you can build ridiculously long runs of floors with no underneath support. And you don't need plating to drive over it.

You will likely need to drop some ramps on the front side to get up on the first floor tile.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did that but I have to get into the water to place in front due to how it places pieces (very cumbersome) and it's very hit and miss trying to place them. The lack of an absolute grid system option when placing makes it a headache as can easily place slightly off relative to the other pieces. It's a little hard to explain.

It's similar in some ways to Minecraft, in the very early days of that game, trying to make block bridges across chasms was complicated since you would fall off the end when trying to place blocks on the edge. Mojang fixed this by adding Sneak which allows the player to stand on the very tip whilst sneaking to place a block and not fall off it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found that if I walk onto the tile I just placed, walk towards the edge I want to place the next tile, and make sure I'm looking down, it will often snap to the correct edge. Sometimes being in 3rd person or 1st person view helps the snapping.

Also, jump up and hit U and go into hover mode, then you can twist and float over the area you need to place the next tiles, and that might make it easier than diving in the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Earlier I made bridges for vehicles by the ceiling block. used 3 wide and staggered the middle block so when laying the next block you are always looking at a edge.

I also noted for very long bridges the curvature of the planet requited a long ramp at the far end.