Thread: Meet the Ballbearer

Post Thanks / Like

Can we have ball bearings please?

Hi Guys.

I think I found a very simple solution to your traction issue that most people complain about
    Meet the Ballbearer, the car that loves every kind of terrain

Ballbearer.jpgBallbearer Front.jpgBallbearer Right.jpgBallbearer Onboard.jpgBallbearer Left.jpg

To show how it handles, enjoy this little joyride through some terain that most people probably hate to drive trough

As you can see I had to restrict the movement of the hinges, which is why it has this spidery cross look around the wheels.
    Basically what I created was a ball bearing, so my suggestion would be to place a ball bearng tool within the utilities.

Also I noticed that the hinges have a menu, but they are empty, so not customisable.
    I would like to suggest for the hinges, springs and ball-bearing that it would be possible to increase the strength from 0 to 100% with increments of 20
    This way these objects would be very highly customise-able and would give greater control over the handling of the vehicle,

Hope it helps

Just a side note, the car handles so perfectly and fine that I have to release my throttle once the music starts to stutter.
    Otherwise I have a possibility to get launched into space

Edit: Here's another reason why ball bearing works perfectly in the game.

Last edited by DaFuzz; 27-01-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Changed the title and added more examples

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice design, DaFuzz! Glad to see another person who likes to play around with making funky suspensions.

I really like how you got around the hinge limit issues. You know, when you get tired of driving around, you can lose the wheels and probably do a lot of fun stuff with hoverblades on the ends of those - I did the same with a compact wheeled long range rover with rocker suspensions that I built, and you can see my hoverblade version over in another thread https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...ehicle-designs (or in the 0.8 video teaser the devs made).

We have put in a suggestion a while back, for a way to set min/max angles for the hinges and swivels, as well as maybe being able to lock at an angle (mostly for building). Hopefully that will come along eventually - I'm taking the fact that there is a menu for the moving parts (even if it is empty) as a good sign.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask what did you use piece-wise for the angles? Walls? My vehicles tend to look rather boxy. That's such a cool-looking vehicle too

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Trilobyte

The angles were created with the sloped pieces
    Here, I made a nice tree for you with all the blocks I used

Blocks.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm making a rough copy of your design for my one though the legs aren't on suspension. Trying to minimise the risk of tipping over as leaves me vulnerable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilobyte View Post
    I'm making a rough copy of your design for my one though the legs aren't on suspension. Trying to minimise the risk of tipping over as leaves me vulnerable.
    Lol The only flaw I detected sofar on my Ballbearer is that I forgot to place a winch.
    But even a sudden hole didn't stop it from driving on, just had to manipulate the landscape heavily.

The only problem I notice is that it drives so well, that it goes to fast and the objects don;t regenerate fast enough.
    This put me in a forest sometimes that then launched me into space.

So, I have to drive more carefull
    But I've climbed mountains that were impossible to do otherwise,
    That is why my suggestion for a ball-bearing tool is Pretty solid, because that would have saved me my entire suspension into one block.

Once everyone has this tool, the creations for ground based vehicles can really increase the driving fun in the game.
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bleddy amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    none of the devs that can tell me if a ball bearing device could be implemented or is even interesting??
    Why on earth would someone spent all his time in life being a little bit creative, when you can go all the way?

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're planning some improvements to hinge and rotor blocks - ability to lock them in one position and electric movement. Restricting movement to some angle limit probably not, as we see this too niche.

It's matter of physics engine if it will be doable. For example to fix a joint suddenly without wobbling whole machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    We're planning some improvements to hinge and rotor blocks - ability to lock them in one position and electric movement. Restricting movement to some angle limit probably not, as we see this too niche.

It's matter of physics engine if it will be doable. For example to fix a joint suddenly without wobbling whole machine.
    Thank you Martin for your feedback.

I still think however that a ball-bearing device will greatly improve the overall game play and creativity of the nomads.
    My entire suspension could have been compacted to one single utility with the same size as a hinge or rotating plate.
    this will save a lot of extra building, space and weight on the vehicles.

For the hinges and rotor blocks, may I suggest to limit their movement by 4 (or 25%), or just increase the resistance, like you did with the springs (soft, medium, hard).
    If you increase the resistance of the hinge, you also limit the movement of the hinge and the rotor greatly as well, especially when the resistance will increase the more the hinge or rotor is hinging towards the end.

Post Thanks / Like

I could not agree about limiters.

Look at DaFuzz's creation. Do you see what kind of tricks he had to do just to emulate it? I agree there is nicer variants to emulate a limiter. I also agree that is not a major problem and will kindly wait for (if any) solution. Just to mention that there is people who want this feature and I am one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Restricting movement to some angle limit would be a cool feature.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    Restricting movement to some angle limit would be a cool feature.
    Yes, maybe we could do it. It all depends if we find some simple way how to set this angles, ideally in radial menu. And if physics engine will be okay with this restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like
    But how bout the idea of a ball bearing tool?
    Is this something worth implementing (I think so) or should I drop it?
    A ball bearing device sounds to me like an enhanced hinge, however the hinge rotates on 1 axis, while the ball bearing will rotate on 2 axis.

Please can you give me feedback on if this idea is great, weak or not worth mentioning?

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am little bit confused. Didn't you mean a Ball Head https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_head instead of ball bearing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_bearing. Because our rotor is principially ball bearing.

You can combine hinges and rotor to make similar amount of freedom as ball head, but it's not as elegant. I think that physics engine is capable of having such joint, so we could put ball head into the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am just working on animal like robots (blade driven objects) and I have realized that it is extremely hard to do without ball-heads and joint limits. Like shown in the above video you get extreme bulky and heavy joint constructions having to place a lot of stopping blocks.
    Of course PN primarily was not planned to have such builds, but creation now HAS become an important feature and these kinds of "allin" joints asked for could also be useful for "simple"survival craft building.
    I also would like to have stretching rubber joints for rebound effects (for flapping doors,wings ... anything needing more elastic properties and less space and a more straight line than the soft set axes offers)

I also sense a misbalance of interest in supporting different player groups. Players have been asking for mega wheels, mega blades, swimming platforms - and got them. Those of us preferring smaller crafts have long asked for some connecting items or blocks making building easier for us (like blockable hinges, small swimming blocks) - but fruitless since months ... On the contrary: Traction of small wheels and buggy wheels was so much downgraded that most prior very functional cars will not work properly any more ..
    And who now still uses hover pads with air blades doing the survival job much better? No proper weighting of the technical tree which has also been asked for since a very long time ... In fact hover pads have become near to obsolete ...

By the way - what´s wrong either with this forum or my PC? Every time I want to post here the text does not pick up a lot of letters and often I am thrown out while writing. It is the only foum I ever have been in where this happens. Although I want to be here and discuss and share I rarely do because that is really annoying. It was always like that even before you got infected ...
    Last edited by oh016; 03-02-2018 at 03:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oh016 View Post
    By the way - what´s wrong either with this forum or my PC? Every time I want to post here the text does not pick up a lot of letters and often I am thrown out while writing. It is the only foum I ever have been in where this happens. Although I want to be here and discuss and share I rarely do because that is really annoying. It was always like that even before you got infected ...
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing, sometimes I type on the forum here and when I read back what I wrote, it's hardly understandable.
    I see this happens most in Internet explorer, so try another browser like firefox or chrome, it might solve the problem.(did for me).

- - - Updated - - -

I am little bit confused. Didn't you mean a Ball Head https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_head instead of ball bearing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_bearing. Because our rotor is principially ball bearing.

You can combine hinges and rotor to make similar amount of freedom as ball head, but it's not as elegant. I think that physics engine is capable of having such joint, so we could put ball head into the game.
    I'm so sorry, you are absolutely right, I should have checked it before requesting.
    But yes, I meant the Ball head.
    I need to place two hinges on top of each other now to get the same result, so yes please, give us ballheads