Thread: Food/water regeneration slider

Post Thanks / Like

Food/water regeneration slider

After the recent stasis pod nerf, I have to wonder if we could just have a food/water difficulty selector as part of our world settings? A simple slider or selection from "easy" to "hardcore" that scales the healing & food/water replenishment would be excellent. It would provide a way to cover the whole spectrum of players to broaden the appeal of the game: let the hardcore survival crowd feel like they are challenged, but also allow for the super casual players to take away the healing grind and concentrate on building (without having to resort to Creative mode).

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems obvious that this should be scaled by difficulty. On the other hand, difficulty scaling is not working correctly anyway, just look at how much hunger you can restore with dried fruit for example (much more than the tooltip says, on hard).

Restoring the ridiculous regeneration on easy for the building-oriented players (that don't play creative???) would be fine for survival oriented players because they would not be playing on easy anyway.
    Side note: I don't understand why survival players would power the stasis block once they realize the difference between powered and unpowered. Or even complain about the regeneration when they know they can just run it unpowered.

Anyway, thanks for removing the teleport heal, that is a nice improvement.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just as baffled by the fact that simply leaving the stasis pod unwired should have met more of the "hardcore survival" mentality. It almost became an obstinate argument: "I don't care that you can leave it unwired, I don't want to do that, so I want it MY way" or something. It was such an easy way to choose between easy and tough, and let the devs concentrate on the many other areas that currently need work. *sigh*

At least with something simple like a slider for setting regeneration levels, everyone would theoretically use the pods the same way in building and it would just provide the level of regen you have chosen to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleon View Post
    It seems obvious that this should be scaled by difficulty. On the other hand, difficulty scaling is not working correctly anyway, just look at how much hunger you can restore with dried fruit for example (much more than the tooltip says, on hard).

Restoring the ridiculous regeneration on easy for the building-oriented players (that don't play creative???) would be fine for survival oriented players because they would not be playing on easy anyway.
    Side note: I don't understand why survival players would power the stasis block once they realize the difference between powered and unpowered. Or even complain about the regeneration when they know they can just run it unpowered.

Anyway, thanks for removing the teleport heal, that is a nice improvement.
    Caleon, can you please tell me what with the 'powering stasis chamber'?

I personally have it turned of most of the time (not disconnected) to save energy. And turn it on every time I want to restore some stamina/food/hydration points. After recent update it takes three to five days to recover (instead of eight hours). That way devs making me use that FAD machine more often, but I never mind because it is more hardcore that way (and I still can read journal records being inside).

Post Thanks / Like
    Before this week's patch, sleeping 8 hours in a powered stasis pod (wired up to a switchboard) gave full healing, water, food. Sleeping in a stasis pod with no power wired to it just gave minimal improvement to all stats. It was simple to choose between an easier survival experience (wiring up the pod) or having to really work for survival (leaving it unconnected).

Now, we have no option to simplify the process. We get the minimal improvements to food/drink only, so we are forced to grind for survival. It's great for those who demanded "all hardcore all the time" for survival, but it's already scaring away long time players who are more interested in the building part than in the survival grind. It's too bad they took a system that had a basic solution already in place, and removed options to appease a small but vocal subset of the player base who couldn't be bothered to just leave the pod unwired to get the experience they wanted.

It will likely get better (I hope), as the growing & greenhouse system gets tweaked to allow for more automation and self-sufficiency in food production. The water pump was an important first step in that process. But nerfing the stasis pod now, before fixing and improving the clunky food system, just seems a little too premature.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree fellow nomads, it was a simple matter between unpowered or powered.but those vocal could not see that. Now the stasis chamber has become redundant as you either sleep for many days to get 100% stats or grind food n water.

Why the devs changed that l simply cannot understand.they spent ages creating something and because of that change its now become redundant.

So now l don't enjoy PN like l have done for over 1,200 hrs so for the time being l will unfortunately not be playing the game.

PN was my most fav game of all time.

Happy nomading my fellow nomads, see you around steam

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy should be easy and hard well whatever you want. I don't play games that beat me up and say its a challenge. RL is a challenge I have to deal with. If its not fun I don't play it.

Post Thanks / Like
    To touch on the "why did they even power the stasis pod" argument. As I've said multiple times before, the complaints were not about the game as it is, but how it should be in the future. The Stasis Pod, and everything about the game, is entirely mood as on any difficulty/setting if you play it right, it is easy, with or without the stasis pod. The point of the discussion wasn't about making it weaker, but was about making it balanced, which it wasn't before the nerf nor is it now. CB misunderstood the thread and hastily nerfed it without considering much of anything. It should be balanced around difficulty setting so that anyone can play it however they want to play, rather than force one version on everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really liked the idea of someone else (can't find it now) to provide the stasis chamber with biopaste and/or water before it can replenish you.The whole idea of generating nutrients/water directly out of energy is strange.And the needed quantities could be balanced over the difficulty levels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh, that was actually my suggestion as well, fbo. I think a combination of needing those basic items to replenish your food/water, along with a slider that determines how effective that replenishment is, would ultimately give the tools to make pretty much everyone happy.

But, I really think that the need for biomass to heal should come after they tweak things like the greenhouse systems, which should provide seeds and biomass as part of their process, so that the biomass doesn't become the grind (we already have the water pump to help automate the thirst side of things)

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it would be nice to have another progression throughout the game in the sense of grind versus self-sufficiency. The food system could be the right place for this.