Thread: Day/Night Length slider

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Day/Night Length slider

I know its probably not possible, but whats the chance that this slider...

... can be adjusted ((edit some code or a hack (god I hate that word) or something, anything)) to allow for longer day/night cycles.

The reason I ask is, I really enjoy long 'periods' of gameplay within the world.
    60 minutes (1 hour) just feels to be too short for my playstyle and the way I relate to the planetary rotation and day/night cycle.
    The day/night (all 24 hours of it) seems to just fly by... so I'd like to slow it down a bit, if possible.

I know that it may be this way for 'game balance', but it sure would be cool if I could play a 2 hour session for 1 planetery rotation.
    It just seems to be too quick the way it is right now and I figure 1.5 to 2 hour's of gameplay per rotation should be an option.

Here is to hoping that options like this at least get a raised eyebrow from the dev's.
    Last edited by bigstep70; 04-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    "They say that if you play any Microsoft Windows CD backwards, you'll hear satan... that's nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows."

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m happy with 60 minutes/1x nights, (it serves as a reminder to get up a stretch my legs every hour.)
    Plus a love building a night and playing around with lighting effects.

But I could see why some players would want longer cycles.
    FYI: day time is longer near/at the equator, and shorter near/at the poles.

EDIT:
    Embrace the night!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1255157766
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1253422363
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1185478044
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 04-01-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Night length bothers me that it is shorter than the day. Isn't the X1 setting supposed to make them equal?
    Also I would like to have a tidal lock in relation to the sun and have permanent night on one side of the planet.
    Or a tilted rotation axe.

Post Thanks / Like
    X1 setting should give you equal day/night “IF” you at the proper latitude. I’m guessing around + or – 50 should give equal day/night.
    With shorter nights as you get closer to 0/equator, and nearly no day at the north/south poles.

A planet with one side facing the sun would make a cool planet, to discover after we get planet to planet travel. But I will be looking forward to teleporting to Moons, crystal planets, planets with a red stars, planets with blue stars, other strange type.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use a tool called "DB Browser for SQLite"
    http://sqlitebrowser.org/

Close the game.
    Load the save, go to the simple_storage table, advanced_settings entry and edit the text.
    In this case you are looking for
    <DayAndNightLength>60</DayAndNightLength>
    <NightMultiplier>1</NightMultiplier>
    Write Changes and close the database before you open the save from the game.

The saves are located in
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Craneballs\Planet Nomads

Be sure to make backups before experimenting.

( http://steamcommunity.com/app/504050...6179586554486/ )

I have not tested a DayAndNightLength=120

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting discussion guys.

Opens up a minefield of options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not add to the configuration options, or maybe into an ini file, all possible settings and balancing values? Like:
    - environment damage to be configurable separately for each one (hunger, thirst, animal attacks, fall damage, poison, lack of oxygen, heat, cold ... etc)
    - forces generated by the wheels, hover pads, air blades etc
    - energy generated by different power supply generators
    - weight of blocks
    - gravity
    - planet rotation speed, size and other parameters
    - biome frequency
    - mineral frequency
    - enable or disable technologies (some people may want to play without stasis chamber or map and compass)
    - cost to build different components
    - possibility to have all technologies unlocked from the beginning
    - damage of the gun
    - suit battery capacity

Most likely, these parameters are somewhere inside the code and could be read at startup from a configuration file.
    Why not expose them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    Why not add to the configuration options, or maybe into an ini file
    Most likely, these parameters are somewhere inside the code and could be read at startup from a configuration file.
    Why not expose them?
    Exactlly the way my thinking attacks this conundrum.
    The settings are there already... we just need access to them.

- - - Updated - - -

You can use a tool called "DB Browser for SQLite"
    http://sqlitebrowser.org/
    Cool, I will check this out. Thanx.

*********** EDIT ***********

Ok so Ive just now tried this method
    You can use a tool called "DB Browser for SQLite" http://sqlitebrowser.org/
    (Take Note: I doubled the current (60 minute) time available with said setting in the database to 120 for testing purposes)

I can't say for sure if it gave me the "my 2 hours = 1 gameday/rotation" as I did not stay in-game long enough to really tell any difference.

What I did notice right away is the characters movement rate is doubled at least.
    From controlled walk, to normal walk, to sprint, and then even jetpack hover is way faster than it should be.
    That's when I was like, "wTF is going on here"

I did not test airblade/hover or wheeled travel. I did not want to maybe "glitch" and crash (yes, i backed up) so I only ran around a little and jetpacked a bit till I could verify to myself that this "Pseudo-Speed" that I had been granted was actually the code-alteration.

I see this as a side effect of the code alteration through this method (DB Browser) and is therefore not to my liking. No fault of the DB Browser program. Maybe it was just, my doubling of the value was way too much and therefore gave the weird result... but it does lead me to believe that any alteration with said method will probably alter your avatars "dynamic movement rate" in the world instead of actually "slowing down" the day/night cycle the way I was thinking. I just want 1 day/night in game to equal 2 hours of my sitting there playing. Simple.

I will probably test this some more and see if the planet rotation/day-night cycle is tied into characters static values, like speed-of-body, healing and crafting. These are all value of balance in the game and I can see this "time-value" slider being a very integral part of that balance. And so probably not a wise decision to mess with it too much, as to throw out the games mechanics.
    I guess thats why we get a slider and not an value-input box.
    Last edited by bigstep70; 12-01-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    "They say that if you play any Microsoft Windows CD backwards, you'll hear satan... that's nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows."