Thread: What's with all the bad reviews on steam lately?

Post Thanks / Like

What's with all the bad reviews on steam lately?

Over the past week or so i've noticed a splurge in bad reviews for the game. Mostly people playing for less than an hour and moaning about FPS and no multiplayer. The funniest one is someone reckoned they bought the game by mistake and gave the game a thumbs down??? Seriously people. I personally dont think people should be allowed to post a review after just playing for 0.1 hours. It's an unfair reflection of the game. At least 60 mins, come on??

Post Thanks / Like
    Christmas on Steam.

Winter sale and kids with Steam credit buying games without bothering to read. Ooh..look...pretty picture. Me buy.

There is a time limit on refunds, and anyone playing less than that time should not be allowed to review the game. That way...if they bought it by mistake or failed to actually read the description of what they are buying should not be judging the game....just getting their money back and going on their way.

But...that's life.

Craneballs list the game as single player...NOT multiplayer.
    It's EA and far from optimised .. so lower end systems may well have FPS issues. Why do people STILL buy early access games and moan about how buggy/slow they are?

For me....the game has been smooth as silk from day 1, and I have never had FPS issues. My PC is not state of the art ( I5 4690, 16Gb RAM and a 6Gb 1060 ) but it has been built to handle modern games ( well...when I built it 3 years ago ) and had RAM and Gfx card upgrades to keep pace. I expect modern games to be demanding o a PC, and as a ressult I expect to have to keep the hardware in line or turn down the detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    My PC is an Intel Quad core 2.4, Nvidia 750 TI 8 GB DDR3 ram. I'm in the process of getting the parts to buy a much more powerful PC. Planet Nomads runs fine on my pc, a few graphics issues but my PC is low end now and i'm happy with it, especially knowing my new pc will handle the game with no problems. I agree, I think people should play the game for a few hours before leaving a review and no just a few words either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m thinking too many to coincidence, it looks like coordinated attack by bullies who have fun trying to take good games down.
    Before I play tonight I will be tagging them “No” to “Was the review helpful?”, and reply to each why they are wrong.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 03-01-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a whole slew of "this game sucks without multiplayer" attitude over in the Steam forum, I have to wonder if some of them have taken to the streets and are bad mouthing the game based on what they perceive.

I think Flakmagnet is on the right path, there should be some limits to how people are able to review, particularly if they have grabbed it by accident and it's not what they are looking for. However, there has to be some way for people to warn off others about a complete bug-infested pig of a game that is completely unplayable as well, so it's a hard line to draw in the sand.

To be honest, I feel it's way too easy for clueless people to buy into an Early Access game. There should be huge warning signs throughout the purchasing process that FORCE people to at least a basic understanding and acknowledgement that they are buying into a game that is in development, may fold during the development process, and may realistically never be much better than it is right now, let alone meet the vision that the customer has for what they are assuming it's going to be. It would tend to help manage unrealistic expectations a bit, and maybe reduce the "this game sux" comments that seem to cycle through in waves coinciding with the big sales (and Christmas season).

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That would require change.

So... not happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have made a few comments...and boy are they touchy about people 'disagreeing' with their review.

Now I am not one to deny people an opinion ..... and where someone genuinely takes the time to write an opinion and give a negative review that they explained....I don't have any issue with that. Negative reviews have a necessary function. People have different views and just because I like a game, that doesn't invalidate their honest opinion

No.

I went to the other sort of review.

The 'No multiplayer....this game stinks' kind of review. Or the 'I hate it coz I can't play co-op bruv' kind of review.

These deserve a bit of cage rattling, and simply asking if they actually read the description of the game or understand the principle of EA, then they might realise the game is not for them. Get a refund and move on.

This apparently makes me a part of the dev team, and I should either click 'helpful' on their review or jog on.

Got to love them. If I was a cruel type...I wonder how long they would keep taking the bait and how wound up I could get them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have noticed for a longer time that the unavoidable splitting into two forums has undesired results. Besides double bug reports, double suggestions, double discussions many of the newcomers who got the game at Steam (Christmas puppy now perhaps already in asylum) do not know about this forum and how the game developed and still it is developing. EARLY ACCESS should really be written in big letters and it should be made clear that this makes every player to a kind of beta-tester with the duty to contribute and to report to the developers in a constructive way at their own forum to guide the further development and to get the game he/she likes and then - perhaps - may be allowed to criticise instead of suggesting and reporting - a subtle difference some (not to say many) newcomers at Steam do not understand. Unluckily only a few new serious players like AzraelSorrow find their way here - for the others everything is so much easier there, double-postings, not using search, adding nice pics ...
    I move in both worlds - light stuff and creations there (to keep the interest in PN going by showing what is possible with this game) and also joining in discussions that touch important topics, serious stuff (reports, suggestions) here - but the last is of no interest to the majority of recent Steam buyers. And by the way this forum sometimes IS driving even ME mad in a functioning aspect because it so often throws me out while I try to post - had to rewrite this whole reply...
    Last edited by oh016; 08-01-2018 at 02:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Early Access is well publicised and Stream does explain all the potential issues and pitfalls. Trouble is ..... people don;t bother to do the research or read the stuff before handing over cash.

Personally..,.I tend to avoid Steam based communities. I focus on teh actual specific forums supported and maintained bny the developers. I would expect those to mbe more active from that side, and to contain people who take the time to find a game dedicated forum for themselves. Tends towards a more sensible clear minded community

Post Thanks / Like
    On Steam anyone can post a review. Devs supported forums are always the best source of genuine feedback.

On occassions there are some genuine reviews that highlight important areas that some long-term players either don't like or disagree with and because it appears there is no comments from the devs that they update their reviews to voice their concerns.

Devs communication with the playerbase should be a priority to keep players not only informed but also to note the concerns are being looked into before others jump on the bandwagan and start a bad review bomb.

Communication is key .......

Post Thanks / Like
    Today is the day of a new update.
    I hope we get this time a professional description (not just simple statements like "Decreased regeneration in Stasis Chamber") because what we see is something different:

- Dec 21, 2017 / by Daniel
    Last Dispatch of 2017 & What's Coming in 2018,
    "We've decided to make the experience more friendly and comfortable for you."
    "We know that building truly extensive and epic builds us not easy and not for everyone. On the other hand, Nomads such as Johndai, BCP Labs, Got to be Real or Old-gamer will surely be happy to share some of their creations with others."
    - Dec 31, 2017
    Review rating becomes "mixed"
    - Jan 2 @ 6:09pm
    Baltazar makes a negative review
    Jan 4 @ 11:27am
    Petr: "in next update (today, in fact) we have nerfed down the Stasis Chamber"
    I expect to hear your vision about the game balancing, show us that you know how the player is supposed to enjoy the game, talk about what you are working on, the roadmap for the next few weeks and very important:
    Which bugs you intend to fix in the next few weeks?

My favorite ones are these:

https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...ough-eachother
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...Y-Frozen-hinge
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...-graphics-lags

Quote Originally Posted by Craneballs View Post
    We discussed this in more detail and there's no easy (AKA quick) solution to this). The sequence is already terrain > game objects > active blocks settings > "physical" blocks. The causes for the cars bumping off when placed on the floor is as mentioned - the system cannot tell whether the grid is in the ground (static base) or not (vehicle) and therefore cannot prioritize.

As far as vehicles sunk in the ground - this is most likely caused by the terrain being a LOD from a far, with details coming in only as the player approaches the location - an undesired feat of huge procedurally generated worlds.

The situation is not lost, it can be improved, it just requires several people on the team and come together to fix this, and at this point they have work to do with the upcoming milestone. We're considering making quality of life improvements the priority of the next milestone (apart from other plans of course).
    Last edited by Menzagitat; 11-01-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We will have to wait and see what the devs provide in this next update and the weeks following to see how they intend to fix the problems the playerbase has.

I hope some improvements are forth coming or the situation will only get worse with players leaving.

Fingers crossed they understand the gravity of the situation and can provide some much needed improvements for the playerbase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any thoughts or speculation of what todays update will bring? One of the things is possibly a revisit to the stasis chamber and make it fairer with the slider option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Helstur View Post
    Any thoughts or speculation of what todays update will bring? One of the things is possibly a revisit to the stasis chamber and make it fairer with the slider option.
    It is too late for update now. If they do not break the rules and update on Friday, I would say they wait one more week.
    I think next week Daniel will come back from vacation and will have to repair the PR damage which happened in his absence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok i'm quite new here. So, the devs don't update every thursday then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Normally updates come every Thursday Evening

So it looks like nothing today, which is sad as we expected some sort of communication from the devs.

This is not looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Helstur View Post
    Ok i'm quite new here. So, the devs don't update every thursday then?
    In this case, welcome to the game!
    I guess it happened twice to have no weekly update. Once after the 0.6.13 release because they prepared the 0.7 upgrade, and once because some Unity upgrade fail.
    But it never happened to have no communication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Menzagitat! Oh! Lets hope they have something good in store for us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johndai View Post
    We will have to wait and see what the devs provide in this next update and the weeks following to see how they intend to fix the problems the playerbase has.

I hope some improvements are forth coming or the situation will only get worse with players leaving.

Fingers crossed they understand the gravity of the situation and can provide some much needed improvements for the playerbase.
    Completely agree. I hate to be the voice of discontent here, but I'm one of those bad reviewers. I signed up when multiplayer was promised as a future integration. Then Craneballs reneged. I asked for money back, but because I'd played more than 3 measly hours, no dice. So bad review. I just tried out the game recently to see what had changed, and by all appearances, not much!

Sure a few new blocks have been added, but where's the actual development of the game? I still can't attach stairs to the ceiling blocks. Still can't fill in holes, or prevent my multitool from drilling into the soil, rain still comes through the ceiling (unless it's a two storey house, in which case rain disappears completely, and you'd think it's sunny out... until you step outside), and a number of other peeves.

Looking at the PN in 2018 thread, it appears Craneballs are completely 'cuffing it' and have no idea where to take development of the game. They don't spend too much time discussing the future of the game because of the above reason, resulting in a haphazard development style operating under the guise of progress.

I'd leave another negative review if I could. I don't understand why you hard-core types aren't more discontent.

P.S. I'd happily eat my words if things turned around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Completely agree. I hate to be the voice of discontent here, but I'm one of those bad reviewers. I signed up when multiplayer was promised as a future integration. Then Craneballs reneged. I asked for money back, but because I'd played more than 3 measly hours, no dice. So bad review. I just tried out the game recently to see what had changed, and by all appearances, not much!

Sure a few new blocks have been added, but where's the actual development of the game? I still can't attach stairs to the ceiling blocks. Still can't fill in holes, or prevent my multitool from drilling into the soil, rain still comes through the ceiling (unless it's a two storey house, in which case rain disappears completely, and you'd think it's sunny out... until you step outside), and a number of other peeves.

Looking at the PN in 2018 thread, it appears Craneballs are completely 'cuffing it' and have no idea where to take development of the game. They don't spend too much time discussing the future of the game because of the above reason, resulting in a haphazard development style operating under the guise of progress.

I'd leave another negative review if I could. I don't understand why you hard-core types aren't more discontent.

P.S. I'd happily eat my words if things turned around.
    Quite often on the steam forum, the single player defenders say Craneballs dropped the multiplayer to make a better single player experience.
    But I see the opposite. They added a customization which is made in such a way that is difficult to scale, to add new options, and they still restrict some of them:
    - the stasis chamber behavior, they changed it and now they wait silently to let things settle.
    - the rain frequency is criticized by some players on youtube (I like the rain though). Why did they omitted the setting in the survival but added it to the creative option?

As I commented in the "Planet Nomads in 2018" thread, I believe they want to finish the development and to remove the early access sticker in 6-7 months because the project doesn't bring enough money to sustain itself.

When they dropped the multiplayer option, I thought they are afraid to present a long term roadmap, being afraid that they cannot achieve it and in the end they will drop other features too.

But staying silent about such a long term vision, they also loose the support of players who want to see them succeed.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I imagine they have discovered that they've bitten off more than they can chew.
    Extremely likely, given that this is their first non-mobile title IIRC.

Problem is, when teams do that, they *ALWAYS* clamp down on communication and try to pass everything off as ok, in the hopes that everything will come right.
    until the whole things collapses.

And we all know this.

So if a game studio starts to get too busy to talk, *for whatever reason* then it starts to look like the first crack in the facade.
    Esp when they started out with regular video blogs.

So, i think they either need to be honest with us, or devote a couple of hours to making a Vlog each week.
    Even if they have to get someone's cousin from film-school as an intern to do it.

Because no team is so busy that they cannot spare a few minutes each week to describe what's going on.