Thread: Wheel Powered Elevator - Final Draft, Ready for Survival Use!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Powered Elevator - Final Draft, Ready for Survival Use!!!

It is finally done! After hours and hours of trial and error, I finished my elevator. I have to say, I am very pleased with my results. It is fully wheel powered aside from the floor stopping system which uses air blades (I'll explain that later with a screenshot). It is battery powered, rather than lugging the reactor. I decided as it's in your base it's easy to recharge and even if it has, say, 1 hour of battery life total, that's a lot more than it seems as you can simply shut it off when not in use.

I tested it for about 5 minutes or so trying to break it (it rises and falls very quickly if you're not careful) and I literally couldn't. Now, I'm sure there's a way, but I hope if someone tries to build this they wouldn't be trying to break it. Anyway, as I said, it climbs very fast so if I were to build this in survival, I would likely have a bunch of containers in that open space in the middle so that you could access it at the bottom floor for loading and then at the whatever floor you stop on for unloading.

The test build in all of it's 2 floor glory.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1254118160

Knocked out a wall so you could see the interior of the mechanisms for the elevator itself. Total build is 13x13 for the shaft and 11x11 for the platform. This design is also 15 or 16 blocks tall. I don't recall which but it's one of those 2.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1254118182

Another shot of the interior with a different and fully angle.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1254118202

Interior shot of how the floor stopping mechanism works. Elevation is done by the wheels pressing W or S. The air blades are normally folded in under everythign between the sets of wheels but when you press space they come out about 90 degrees so they are level with the platform. By raising a bit above the desired floor, you can extend the blades out to get caught on an openning so that the platform is nearly level with the floor you want to get off on. When you wnat to leave that floor, simply press W and the blades will fold back in on their own. I also have them stabalized and set to non-hover mode.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1254118226

Exterior shot of the elevator stopped at the desired floor. I made the opening for the blades fairly large in order to make getting them in their easier. I've tested it with other sized openings and as long as you don't go down to a 1 high opening it's still very easy to get it in.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1254118149

I also put in a interior dock for a maintenance floor. Mostly, it's just there so you can recharge the batteries but if you need to get into the inside of the elevator to change things such as inventories and batteries.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1254118249

Just to make sure I give all the specifications in one place: It's 13x13 wide for the shaft (15x15 if you include the bit of overhang by the blades when extended to stop at a floor, but they don't actually have to overhand so it could work fine flush against something) and 11x11 for the platform. It's also about 15-16 blocks tall for the elevator itself.

There are 2 sets of 8 wheels, one set near the top and one at the bottom. They're spread out like thise so that they properly and evenly brace the walls. If the wheels are too close together it's prone to flipping/getting jammed just like any vehicle. The wheels are all set to torque mdoe witht he suppension pressure set to high. This, just like the spacing, makes sure the wheels are all constantly braced on the outer walls to keep traction.

The 4 air blades are each connected to 2 joints facing down and set to grounded and non-stabalzied so that the hang down inside the elevator and don't obstruct anything. They also have blocks coming off of other parts of the elevator in order to make sure they don't go too far one way or another. They're either roguhly straight down at 0/180 degrees or up at 270/90 (depending on perspective).

Once stopped on a floor, there's a switchboard next to the cockpit connected to all the wheels and airblades so that it can be powered off to conserve energy. This switchboard is also connected to another one at the botton of the elevator which is then connected to the other batteries. This is so when you're at the bottom floor, you can easily connect this lower switchboard to whatever form of energy supply you have in order to recharge the battteries without having to go, back to the top.

If built, 100% recommend to build the elevator first then the shaft. It's not needed, as the elevator has to be smaller, but it just gives you more room. Needless to say but I will still stay it: do not disconnect the platform vehicle when whatever you're building it off of until you have build the shaft around it at least to it's height, otherwise you'll just lose your vehicle. Also, as it's a rather complex and meticulous build, I recommend at least 2 anchor points be connected until 100% finsihed on the off chance you accidentally deconstruct one...I've done that a few times myself. After all of this, the shaft can then be built as high as you'd like...well, or at least to the build height cap.

Now, I know this is a completely unneeded build that serves no real purpose, but it does have some uses. For example, if you're inside a large stationary base, getting to other floors can be tedious and you don't want to have to go fly up to the top on your aircraft do you? Also, a lot of the fun in this game is building bases that look nice, I know that's a lot of the fun I have. So, while this may not be too useful, it can look damn cool though.

Pointless but fun idea: due to the sheer speed this thing gets (I'm pretty sure it hits the wheel speed limit but can't tell going up) you could technically build this thing on a few joints at the bottom then rocket up the shaft through an opening on top and be a cannon ball! I may or may not have done this with a smaller, but similar, build and landed on a few animals in the process. I actually got some decent distance, too.

Anyway, to those interested in building this, I wish you good luck! And to everyone who took the time to come and read this, I just want to say thank you for taking the time! I fully welcome feedback, ideas, critiques and just any sort of response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats really cool and an ingenious use of the games systems.
    "They say that if you play any Microsoft Windows CD backwards, you'll hear satan... that's nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows."

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I had the idea and just kinda ran with it. Someone who I enjoy watching their videos, of this game after I originally posted my proof of concept thread on the steam discussions showed me a hover pad based elevator which inspired me to keep at it. He also told me he tried to make a wheel based one and explained how it was pretty much impossible due to how the wheel physics in the game works, so I'm very happy with my results and to be able to show it can be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty neat, thanks for sharing! I've been trying to build an elevator myself in the last few days but I could not get it to work. My solution is a little different than yours as it's smaller and built around a central square pole with 2 sets of 4 wheels each that are pushing against the pole's surfaces. The contraption is powered by 12 batteries, so it should be able to lift its own weight. And I'm pretty sure it's not a question of weight/power ratio, as I cannot make it go down either. It just wouldn't bulge!

I also thought it was related to the way the wheels behave in the game, but your success definitely goes against that theory. If you are curious, would you mind checking out this short video and let me know if you see anything that I missed?

https://youtu.be/R7tKd_z35-8

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey! Thanks for the reply and the feed back. Just keep it up and I'm sure you'll figure it out, I'll even give you some tips I've learned.

Your bottom wheels need to be a bit lower. Wheels are a bit odd in this game. They don't actually move against a surface. They detect that there is a surface within their traction range (roughly where the yellow arrows are) and then propel the vehicle in that direction. Because the wheels are getting traction on the underside of your platform it's trying to move it outward in all directions as well as up which holds it in place. If you put them just a space lower is should work.

I have a design similar to yours that works, sort of; I'll explain why the single pole in the middle causes issues in a bit.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1252599782
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1252599807
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1252599840

I have mine set up the way it is in order to keep it evenly weighted. Any sort of tilting can make it jam or just whig out entirely and sent you flying into space ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1255115103 I was in my elevator for a bit but jumped out and was sent flying further off, took this after I jumped out). That said, while the center beam design works, it has some issues that make it lack viability. The key difference between a center pole design and outer wall/pole design is that the center pole is pushing you outward while the outer is pushing you in. Pushing you in gives proper distribution of wait and makes the wheels in the opposite side push themselves into the other walls evenly, that way if one set of wheels starts to slip, the other side pushes them back in. The center pole design doesn't do any of this, at least not as well. There's not sides rails for the wheels to go to if they slide left or right and tipping is a lot easier, too. They're also prone to breaking with sudden stops due to the surface area the wheels can touch. I've had 3 designs using a center rail I've tried. All of them break if stopping suddenly, like hitting a surface, while going max speed. I've really, really tried and cannot even find a way to break an evenly weighted outer wall design. Unfortunately, yes, they're bigger, but that's just how it has to be it seems. But hey, I'd love to be proved wrong, so if you want to, keep at it and keep me updated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I did what you suggested but again, my platform refused to move, so I put a hover jack underneath in an attempt to troubleshoot the problem. The thing moved, but I saw right away that the wheels were jerking a lot and trying to get off the rail, so I concluded that the weight distribution was much more important that I originally thought. I guess this is why you placed 4 cabins in all your escalators...

That weight distribution thing is kind of a problem to me, as the reason why I wanted an elevator so much was to move my vehicle up and down the plateau on which I have established my base. Right now I'm using a ramp, but I would prefer something else as it's not very pretty. I guess that my next attempt will be a platform tied to a winch. I just hope that there are no length limit for the cable because the ground floor is quite far.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your input and I hope I'll be able to see more of your creations soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could build a diagonal elevator. They work similarly to rail systems but on a diagonal track. I plan to build one eventually but I don't have any examples as of yet. Also, I'm fairly certain that putting vehicles on top of vehicles often leads to weird collision issues and just sends one or both flying.

And hey, thanks! I'll be posting more and more of my inventions as I fool proof them and make sure they're survival viable!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that you mention the collision thing, I happen to have a buggy carrier that works quite well, under the circumstances. Yes, it wobbles a lot and the car often ends up with its front wheels out, but it doesn't fall anymore (after a lot of tweaking on the cabin location and the cradle shape). In fact, I found that the collision issues that you were hinting at can be reduced to a tolerable level by the use of a back/forward hinge between the cradle and the air blade array, so there is a way to carry a vehicle with another vehicle without anything being hurled into space like my articulated garage door -- watch your head guys, it might end up on your planet soon! ;)

Actually, I'm sure that my contraption would fly even better by adding a suspension in the mechanism. Now, that's an idea for a future project!

Airborne carrier: https://youtu.be/dY8doE-Fz0E
    Last edited by Geric; 03-01-2018 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    So, it's the hinge that allows that to work? That's very interesting! I'll have to build something like that for the massive mobile base I have planned. Of course, ground vehicles are mostly pointless with flight out there, but I want to see them add caves back again and make it so fliers don't work in them and have the best resources in them so that ground vehicles have some real purpose. Ideally, I'd want only the surface nodes of resources and then to get to the voxel patches of resources you have to be deep underground, ie in a cave, not just a few feed under the ground.

But yeah, I have a huge airborne mobile base I have planned and you just gave me a great idea on how to add something like that so that it can hold a ground vehicle, though, I'm curious, does the hinged platform count the weight of the vehicle toward the lift of the total mass with the air blades?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it does! My carriers climb much faster when the wheeled vehicles are not in there, although it's not really the case with the one in my last video, as the car is very light weight.

One thing is clear though, when loaded with a vehicle all my previous designs would start wobbling uncontrollably after a few minutes (sometimes seconds) of flight. It was almost impossible to keep the carrier steady when the car started acting up down there, quite frustrating! With my latest model, the hinge seems to absorb a lot of that random motion by rocking back and forth, allowing me to keep at least a steady speed (*~47 km). There is still an issue with lateral motion that makes it hard to stay on course without having to manually correct the trajectory every once in a while, so I guess that there is room for improvement (like adding another hinge, suspension, etc), but for now the thing works about right so I keep it as is.

Again in this case, the culprit seems to be the weight distribution. When the wheeled vehicle moves in its cradle, the mass center changes as well. This is why you want it to be isolated as much as possible from the lifting part of the carrier. At least, that's my theory...

In any case, I look forward to see that future flying base!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if you could get the weight distributed right and have 2 connected hinges going different directions, I bet that could work amazingly. Sadly, all we really need is the ability to hover jack on a normal surface, but I bet that's exactly why they made it so you can't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing stuff - stated it at Steam and repeat it here again. And I like the way you help others :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Geric View Post
    Wow... another really cool fabrication. These are all so good compaired to the krap I've been making.

Mind you I've only just started playing this game more and more and I'm really having fun at it, Its a blast building.
    Survival only... I'll try creative once I'm super bored, which probably won't be for quite some time.
    I like the whole.... 'oh krap Im outta those, I gotta go get some more of that'.

I'm finally settling down to building a "Home Base". They say that "home is where the impact crater is..." so thats were I've stayed. For now.
    I usually build little "charging station" type rest stops all over so this time I kindda need a home for all the toys I'll be making.

I'm keeping the workstation area of my base "bunkered" under the carport and garage area.
    This is a few pics of my newest base (a WIP) and I think I'm actually gonna try and stay alive and not do anything foolhearty.

I've got a good start. "Rover" for 'haulage' of the loot, "Bug" for recon and quick in/out's to steal rocks from Godilla's (no rocks for you, godillas) and I've been messing with "Bertha" a Super-Tanker idea for massive aerial hauling...
    Last edited by bigstep70; 12-01-2018 at 07:52 PM.
    "They say that if you play any Microsoft Windows CD backwards, you'll hear satan... that's nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows."