Thread: [EXTREME PRIORITY] Generating World stops at ~5%

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation [EXTREME PRIORITY] Generating World stops at ~5%

Game Version: 0.3.8.0
    uname -a: Linux aoi 4.12.12-gentoo #2 SMP Wed Oct 25 19:44:37 CEST 2017 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    Simple Description: Generating World stops progress at about 5%
    Detailed Description: Generating World stops progress at about 5%, at about that moment Player.log receives a message about a thrown Exception. See Log file.
    Reproducibility: Every time
    How to Reproduce: Start game, select survival, use ANY seed and create a world.
    Any additional information: MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Type.op_Equality'.
    Log file: https://gist.github.com/valuial/78ed...f55313627743ba
    glxinfo: https://gist.github.com/valuial/0aba...588795fc4daf2d

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Valuial,

This error looks like your system is missing some part of .NET (mono) runtime. I am not sure, which part it is or how to install it on Gentoo. It may also relate to SQLite or some other libraries, as it happens during loading and not at the start of the menu or game.
    Did you try any earlier version of Planet Nomads or any other "made with Unity" game on this system?
    We need to verify that it is problem of the game itself and/or your system configuration. Thank you for your answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Martin,

If you are using the systems .NET mono libraries that may very well be the reason. I've been experimenting with mono on another project, so the version installed may be incompatible.
    I've played quite a lot of unity3d games on this system, but as far as I can tell they all brought their own runtime environment.

I will try in get a stable mono version installed and see if that fixes the problem. Which mono version do you use/support?

Thanks for the support.
    Boris

PS: I'll get back when I have some results from other mono versions - my current is compiled from the live git. (mono jit compiler version 4.9.1)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Martin,

I get the same error after I installed the stable mono libraries.
    Then again, if mono wouldn't load, I should not be able to even start the application.
    The error only occurs when building a world.

Looking into the files provided by Planet Nomads I find:
    /home/vee/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Planet Nomads/PlanetNomads_Data/Managed/mscorlib.dll
    to my understanding, this should contain the missing method.

I believe the mono library loaded is also provided by PN rather than my system:
    /home/vee/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Planet Nomads/PlanetNomads_Data/Mono/x86_64/libmono.so

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must confess that I do not understand much this mono issues and we've never tested game on other linux distro than Ubuntu, so I am afraid that there's not much we can do for you.

Could you please try launching it on Ubuntu (live-cd environment)? You should not need to install it from steam, just mount folder where it's installed and try to run it. If it fails the same way, that will tell us that it's not OS configuration problem.

Maybe there is someone with gentoo/non-ubuntu linux. Have anybody similiar problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Martin,

I wasn't able to try the issue on an Ubuntu live-DVD, as that one uses the noveau driver instead of the nvidia blob, which crashes when switching to 3D on my multi-screen setup.
    But looking at the live environment I tried looking into the mono setup they have to maybe copy it.

What I got was a surprise: There is no mono at all. Nothing.
    So I de-installed mono from my Gentoo system, and the Game runs now.
    Player.log still produces some error messages regarding serialization, but saving and loading seem to work just fine.

Here is my latest Player.log: https://gist.github.com/0e6c82a43f66...96c3255aec1772

I've run quite a couple of different unity3d games without problems with my own system providing a mono environment, see my $HOME/.config/unity3d.
    No idea how, but there should be some mono settings in your packaged mono provided with the game files, to configure not bothering with the mono settings of the host system.

As this is no longer a show-stopper (as far as I can tell), maybe put it at the back of the list on things to improve?

Thanks for the support so far, I am now enjoying your work and look forward to what the rest of early access may bring.

Regards,
    Boris

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I am glad that you found a workaround.
    We've already had similiar problem with another library, which while installed on system was used instead of one provided by the game.
    We will eventually try to find some project config / solution for this.

Thank you again for you valuable cues.