Thread: Will underground bases be feasible?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Will underground bases be feasible?

That was something that i wondered when i saw the hand drill and made me wonder if it would be possible to dig out an area underground to build a base and such?

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can mine the planet for resources, I would be surprised if you can not mine into hills or the ground, In the main trailer, it shows mining rocks so I think we can.
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to be able to dig out huge caves and make some kind of hidden base, maybe some kind of radiation from the sun would force me to build underground too

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would easily be possible, question is what kind of effect it has on gameplay.

If you are in a cold or hot environmemt will moving underground stabilize the temperature, so its a viable tactic in those biomes for survival against harsh environmentals like sand or ice storms for example. Also you have to think well if you can weather those storms then what else can you add that makes it less ideal to have a underground base. Do you for example have creatures that can burrow or spawn in your underground base as a deterrent, so you dont just guard your entrance but also inside your base to stop said events.

Love the idea but I hope we get some gameplay to make it interesting to have those kind of bases much like Waz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Digging up big complexes will be (actually is, in its alpha baby steps) possible and so will be building inside these. The gameplay mechanics that Fira mentions(advantages/disadvantages) have not been explored much, but pretty sure we can come up with them together (seeing the excellent temperature suggestion for instance).
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know, thanks for answering my question.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fira View Post
    I think it would easily be possible, question is what kind of effect it has on gameplay.

If you are in a cold or hot environmemt will moving underground stabilize the temperature, so its a viable tactic in those biomes for survival against harsh environmentals like sand or ice storms for example. Also you have to think well if you can weather those storms then what else can you add that makes it less ideal to have a underground base. Do you for example have creatures that can burrow or spawn in your underground base as a deterrent, so you dont just guard your entrance but also inside your base to stop said events.

Love the idea but I hope we get some gameplay to make it interesting to have those kind of bases much like Waz.
    Maybe some tectonic movements would be interesting. Maybe shake up the place and knock something important over and break it.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw that bit on your Nomadic Journals where you talked about underground bases. You guys were talking about me weren't ya

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to think you were lurking back there in my subconsciousness when I decided to put it on the list
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The temp/environment thing makes me happy.

I know in creativerse, they handle hot/cold environments by measuring your distance from the nearest block of ice/lava/whatever.
    If you're within 10 blocks of ice/lava/whatever, you're hot/cold/poisoned.

So to get out of the cold, you have to dig down 10 blocks (not far) to get away from the cold.

Given that the terrain is not blocky, i'd suggest a sprinkling of invisible hot/cold/whatever markers in the biome, and measure the distance from them for heat/cold/whatever.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope so ima make a bat cave

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hopefully we can get explosives and mining machines to blow out/dig out big holes at some point.