Thread: Severe sliding character bug (second try to submit thread)

Post Thanks / Like

Severe sliding character bug

After along journey round my whole planet I rearrived at my starting base which had been functioning normal when I left. I started the tour from exactly this base after the last update on thursday so no new changes were applied during my travel
    When I came back to the base I tried to climb up the stairs but the character started shivering wildly and did not move up. I jumped on the platform and immediately started to slide heavily and persistenty as long as I stayed in/on the base at any location of the base platform.

Other side effects of the bug:

Blocks could not be placed from a higher or side position, only from below or not at all - a windowed wall I had managed to delete for testing reasons could not be replaced out of any position.
    Blocks could not be deleted from above view and the effect when trying was the one from collecting rocks with the multitool (stones spreading).
    Blocks could not be finished when working from the ground. Although I aimed the multitool overhead and definitely not in any direction towards the ground, the multitool cut completely out of aim into the ground exactly under the frame I had aimed at and kept doing that from any position I tried - thus cutting a hole in the ground (like when collecting material from the ground).
    Blocks could not be placed in jet pack hover mode in any direction.

I moved my air freighter away from the basis. I repeatedly saved and reloaded,
    quit the game completely and restarted and finally I cleared all caches, defragmented and restarted the PC and the game. I also reloaded a prior save and redid the last stage of the travel (appr. 15minutes of pure airflight) until arrival at the base. Nothing helped. The bug is persistent and the base stays unplayable

I had experienced small gliding situations before, usually when standing near a vehicle, but nothing serious, not even worth of reporting.
    But this seems to be a real serious bug as it involves more than the gliding, but additionally a mixing and loss of build functions and the calling of a wrong effect.

I could not locate any causative factor and as it seems the bug was already existent in the last save game. Before that I had visited other bases and wrecks and did not notice any strange behaviour.
    Last edited by oh016; 12-12-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh016,

Not sure what's happening with block placement (side effect maybe), but as far as the sliding on surfaces goes, that is a known issue. I have experienced it twice since I started playing PN in August '17. Sleeping in a stasis chamber for 8 hours has been a common "fix" to the slide for the current game session. It may or may not return when you play again. For me, the phenomenon stopped seemingly just as random as it started.

You can find more information by typing sliding in this forums search.

Regards,
    Sam
    HW Specs. MB - Asus z87, CPU - Intel I7 4770K 3.5 Ghz, RAM - 16 GB Corsair, GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX1080 Hybrid Cooling.

OS Ubuntu 17.04 64bit

Graphics Driver NVIDIA 384.90

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read about it but it never happened to me in that extent - as stated this was not like the known issue which I had noted in my game before but did not mind much since it was usually related to standing close to a vehicle, ceased after a short time and I still could manage to do everything I wanted - and I did not report because I knew it was already known, acknowledged and being worked on.

CITE: "Does not happen on sections of my base built prior to the first time it happened"
    But this is exactly what happened - this base was built before I experienced the grave sliding -I did not observe even minor sliding for some time so I thought it was already fixed at least partly - the base was completely intact when I left it and I had stayed there for several days, building, using my hover jet, doing everything a nomad does.
    There were speculations on long trips causing the problem - but on my journey over the planet I did a lot of long distance air flights to several of my bases and they were all fine.

CITE: "Does not happen on grass"
    My gaming partner who is playing a brand new planet created after 0.8.0 tells me sliding has become much worse since the update. So he slid every time heavily when trying to read (a journal entry) - CORRECTED: a newly found datapad enty but not old journal entries - close to his aircraft - not only on base foundations but even on flat grass so he had to dig a hole in the ground to avoid sliding under the vehicle. And when using the sleeping bag near a vehicle it now slides under the vehicle from a farther distance than it did before. I did not calculate sliding speed as you did - but I would estimate it has doubled since you reported.

Daniel wrote: "It does seem to be connected with the new way physics is calculated, which was necessary for the hovercrafts. If I remember correctly it happened with the old physics occasionally too, but seems to be more prominent now"
    Well now it seems to have become even more prominent with air blades added - probably still the same source in physics, but worse as air-blades allow for even more moving in 3-dimensional space?

Caleon reported: "Maybe related: many machines in my base were unusable or only accessible from certain positions. For example my printer would not open from one side, only a small part on the side would allow me to open the window. A switchboard was completely unusable, I could not openthe radial menu or connect some other switchboard to it"
    So this seems to be related to the problem I observed when I tried to fix my base by rebuilding it. In the worst case of this bug everything seems to get gravely decentered , out of orientation, out of aim - building, access to machines, using stairs - it is not only the sliding of the character.

So I decided to start this new thread because I think now the problem has reached a new dimension.

And thanks for repeating the tip with the stasis!
    I did not remember that one from the old thread - my fault :-(
    I will test as soon as I get back to the game!

EDIT: Stasis reset everything to normal. Stupid me to forget about that ...
    So whatever causes this bug small or big version - the script governing the stasis chambers function still resolves it.
    How that is connected to physics and use items functions I am too small and ignorant to understand ...
    Last edited by oh016; 12-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi oh016,

It is strange, I cannot imagine any reason why shoud stasis repair bugs that reloading does not. Do you still have an old save with that faulty behaviour? Could you send us? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I wonder if the sliding on surfaces issue is related to the "swimming on land" and the "jetpack exiting cockpit" issues?

Entering a cockpit while swimming will cause player to swim once they exit the cockpit, and entering while using thrust on jetpack will cause pack to thrust upon exit.

I sometimes slide on surfaces like the hover pads or wheels. Perhaps entering cockpit while sliding on hover pads or wheels will do the same?
    Entering the stasis chamber might negate some lingering physics effect like entering and exiting cockpit cures the other two issues?

Perhaps we can replicate the issue.
    HW Specs. MB - Asus z87, CPU - Intel I7 4770K 3.5 Ghz, RAM - 16 GB Corsair, GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX1080 Hybrid Cooling.

OS Ubuntu 17.04 64bit

Graphics Driver NVIDIA 384.90

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    It is strange, I cannot imagine any reason why shoud stasis repair bugs that reloading does not. Do you still have an old save with that faulty behaviour? Could you send us? Thank you.
    You have PM
    I have sent you the link to a RAR containing two save games with some more information on behaviour on reloading in the ReadMe (some problems are reset by reloading others not)
    Last edited by oh016; 12-12-2017 at 07:44 PM.