Thread: turnig a stationary base into a mobile one?

Post Thanks / Like

turnig a stationary base into a mobile one?

I have been thinking about attaching wheels to my stationary base, digging out the dirt from beneath it, and driving away.
    Well, no luck. Even if there are no wheels placed, when I remove the dirt from below the base it will not fall down. The base will hang in mid air.
    Is it a bug? Or engine limitation? Is there a way around it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the only way (at the moment) something will not be permanently anchored in place is if the structure is built on a jack initially. The jack basically defines "this is a movable structure" to the build engine.

The only other way I've ever had independent pieces that were not grid locked to the world was when I had things on rotators or hinges, and then broke the moving part or some section of the linkage. But that won't help you convert a base to a mobile one, since you can only build one way with the moving components (can't tie a hinge between 2 existing parts, for example).

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be that there is dirt hidden from view inside your foundation block, which is preventing your base from moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful if you delete any hovering dirt within a foundation like aRPeaR said.
    Absolutely make a new save before doing so.
    I deleted a tiny chunk and my entire base shot into orbit.

You would be best to build on a jack like Vrmithrax suggests.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing is permanently anchored, if you remove the last bit of dirt that connects to the base it will be free to move.

I suggest to place a hover jack under it, you'll still see when it's free because it moves a bit but it should not crush you or rocket away. Making a backup is a good idea anyway.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh, good to know, I always assumed the base blocks were anchored when I started on the ground - I had excavated pretty much everything out from under a few bases and nothing ever moved. Probably had one of those tiny hidden dirt clods floating somewhere in the area and magically holding up the whole base

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I finally found that last spec of dirt. My base is now standing on it's wheels.
    Sadly, it seems to heavy, I think. 10 big wheels powered by uranium generator, and it wont even budge.
    I can move it by the means of the the winch, so the base is not standing over this big hole in the ground any more, but this is not the way I am going to travel.
    Edit: I wonder if adding some hover panels would reduce the weight enough for the base to drive...
    Last edited by Leszek; 02-12-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a common mistake is to place the large suspensions next to each other. Make sure there is a 1-block gap. Also check that your wheels are set to torque mode.

But it is true that base blocks are very heavy compared to normal armor blocks.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the process of replacing base foundation blocks with armor blocks, but i hit a strange hitch. Lately, when my base is raised on the hover jack, the games slowes down to a slide show, even on the lowest settings, about one frame by 5 seconds. When the base stands on its wheels, the framerate is OK, but adding any block causes the base jump so high that, I am getting killed by bumping into its roof or walls.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Leszek,

Could you please send us a save when framerate is low, so we can check out what is taking so long time?

Post Thanks / Like
    How can I do it? If I try to send a save file using file upload manager I am getting an error "invalid file".
    I cannot find any contact email, and contact form does not allow attachments. I also have one crash report I don't know how to send.
    Last edited by Leszek; 14-12-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use http://www.filehosting.org
    Upload your file ther and place the link in a reply here.

Post Thanks / Like

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Leszek,

I've looked at your save, and found out that high CPU load is caused by long physics processing, which is caused by suspensions probably. Even if we are trying to optimize things time to time, physics engine used in the game is not able to process such a big number of reciprocically interacting suspensions. Each suspension divides vehicle into two physical bodies that are calculated independently and at the same time connected flexibly on the other one. As number of this connected bodies grow, also compute time grows which causes low FPS. This is even worse when you use hover jack, as it introduces more forces applied to each physical body.

Sometimes less is more, and we recommend you to build mobile bases with 4 or 8 wheels which should be able to handle it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your time. So, it is the amount the suspensions that caused it, not the overall amount of base parts...
    At the moment, after adding scores of airblades beneath it, my base it drivable. By no means fast, but I never expected it, it was not intended as a main scouting unit.

Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    Sometimes less is more, and we recommend you to build mobile bases with 4 or 8 wheels which should be able to handle it.
    But, do you really think that 4 or 8 wheels would be enough for the base that big?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest looking at some other player designs and you'll see there are a few ways to get around the wheel limitations. A good one is https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...ehicle-designs to see some clever ways of putting together basic wheel clusters on suspensions.

In general, I almost always build 1 of 2 ways for wheeled vehicles: single suspension out to a hinge block, with multiple (usually 4) wheels attached on each hinge; or just extending blocks out away from the vehicle body a bit, putting the hinge block on the end, and attaching 4 wheels per hinge, each with their own suspensions. In either case, you end up with 16 wheels, with plenty of speed and torque typically.