Thread: Mass in Block tooltips

Post Thanks / Like

Mass in Block tooltips

Since mass matters so much in constructing vehicles, it would be very helpful if block masses were displayed in the tooltips in the build menu. I see no reason why this information should be obfuscated. Having a center of mass indicator in build mode would also help heaps.

Also, the amount numbers in build mode menus and toolbar are redundant and the suit tooltips are unintelligible, at least for new players.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for that mass-tooltip, would really help.

A little workaround by Menzagitat:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/504050/discussions/0/1471967615860430939/

cheers
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;

Post Thanks / Like
    We seem to be forgetting about that one. Will be added soon!
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing weights of things we're adding would be very useful! I'm still really hoping for a center of mass indicator on vehicles, so we can easily (and visually) balance out constructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to that. Do the block frames weigh the same as the completed blocks? If so it would be nice if the frames weighed say 1/3 the total of a complete block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree.

I always end up building relatively balanced ground vehicles in terms of left/right and front/back, with the the key challenge in keeping the center of gravity low. That said, with aerial vehicles, weight distribution in terms of front/back becomes more important, as your vehicle will bob considerably when raising or lowering your craft if you are out of balance there. Obviously left/right balance is easy, assuming you build symmetrical vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Center of weight indicators would also probably require a center of volume indicator since it would be otherwise difficult to tell if your mass is actually centered correctly not. A center and axis of thrust indicator would also be required for some more complicated builds. Generally the game's perspective makes building harder than say KSPs building modes, since the position of these indicators are less clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Svt40 View Post
    To add to that. Do the block frames weigh the same as the completed blocks? If so it would be nice if the frames weighed say 1/3 the total of a complete block.
    Wouldn't this be abused? Its not like unfinished blocks break off, so one could leave structural blocks unfinished and receive a weight reduction unfairly.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Thank you for your excellent ideas. Each block's weight will be in tooltip in the next update and we are thinking up how to visualize center of mass and total mass of whole vehicles in build vision.

We havent decided yet about lowering weight of unfinished blocks.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeeees, after months finally some weight data.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    That did not take long, another great update!

Thanks,

http://steamcommunity.com/games/5040...56649454546986

Post Thanks / Like
    Lift/pull/push capacity of wheels and blades wouldn't be a bad idea either.