Thread: Please fix auto-saving to not over-write my named saves but to use an "AUTOSAVE 1" etc

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Please fix auto-saving to not over-write my named saves but to use an "AUTOSAVE 1" etc

Hi,

I am enjoying the weekly changes in the game. I am definitely loving the 0.8 features!! I did have a suggestion that I thought would help a lot.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: I have had some difficulty with the auto-save feature in Planet Nomad. The auto-save currently overwrites my named saves (I think it saves to the last saved game). I would consider the point of a save game to be a known safe point in the game, while the point of an auto-save to be a backup of recent progress in case of imminent loss of power or a crash (or other unforeseen emergency).When the auto-save overwrites this known safe point, it causes issues. As a result, I have found myself disabling auto-saving. Disabling this means that I can lose my progress when the game crashes (which has happened once).

SOLUTION: Please consider adjusting the auto-save feature to save to files named "AUTOSAVE" or "AUTOSAVE1" (etc.). You might also consider adding a tab to the save/load dialog called "auto saves" (currently there is a survival and creative tab). These saves might also be mixed in with their respective survival or creative saves (as currently sorted).

Thanks and keep up the good work!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello texaswriter,

Glad you like the changes. The autosave features creates a save according to the name of the world you have created - so you can have more than one for each of your games. We recommend creating a new save with a different name for your manual saves.

Hope this helps.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi texaswriter,

I think that you have unintentionally overwritten an autosave with your own save. Then autosave automatically overwrites your save and vice versa. If you create a new save for your game than you can turn on autosave again as it will work with the original one.

Because it is impossible to distinguish between your saves and autosaves by naked eye, we are adding an "autosave" flag in next version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both for your reply. I will keep that in mind from now. I will look for the "autosave" in future versions.