Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Airblade Inventions

Post Thanks / Like
    That is truly massive. You've been watching to much BCP Labs on YouTube eh?

Your M-base is truly inspiring, to say the least. I can't wait to start using large blades for my mobile carrier idea but i gotta finish my south-pole U92 mine first (which looks more like a Coruscant space port the more I add to it) so I have enough fuel to keep it running for more than a minute or two.

I like how you've placed the reactors, all snug as a bug, neat and tidy.
    And you still have room on deck for bbq's and dance parties.
    Last edited by bigstep70; 10-02-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    "They say that if you play any Microsoft Windows CD backwards, you'll hear satan... that's nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows."

Post Thanks / Like
    Ehh, I actually haven't seen any of the BCP Labs videos before

I've always wanted to build something like this, from the very beginning. I had some sort of a crawler in mind first, but apparently wheels are not really for me. Then I tried with the small blades, but you need so, so many of them to lift a thing such big, it is impossible to organize them well. But now I have what I need to be a true nomad

The reactor placement is kind of accidental by the way. I wanted to have a reactor section at the back. I added two at first, connected everything just to find that it can't take off... Then I realized that I haven't connected 3 of the blades. Connected, then I had insufficient power, so I just quickly put the two front generators down to test.
    But it seems that placement is pretty much the best, the reactors are out of the way there and the rear is much heavier then the front already. So I think I'll leave them there
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooo, v0.2 is here. Not much changed in regards of aesthetics, mostly functional, not really visible changes been made.
    -Reworked the power grid, so now I can turn on and off all the blades at once with a single switchboard.
    -Added terminal and radar, also lights, so I can find it now at night
    -Rearranged the floating foundation blocks at the rear section, so now doesn't sink even if I park my not particularly light recon on the roof. (I found out just now that the flotation height of the floating foundation can be adjusted, so the rearranging wasn't really necessary, but it made the whole thing lighter, so its fine )

I might make a base tour video later, until then, here are two new pictures:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the containers on the side bother me as well a bit, but I couldn't come up with an idea to integrate them better. Yet. The idea behind the placement was coming from the fuel tanks if lorries, they doesn't look smooth indeed. But I don't really want to put them in the back.

I'd also don't really like the cockpit just sitting there on the front containers, but that is the bast place for it in regards of visibility when flying. Too bad we don't have some open cockpit or pilots seat of sorts and glass tiles. I could make a custom command bridge then

Regarding the blades, first I built a big platform from the foundation blocks with only 4 blades. It didn't move. Then I added 2 more blades on top of each existing blade, that enabled the thing to lift. Haven't really tested out further, just kept building, but based on that, I'd say yes, they stack thrust.

And I'm still only at v0.2 so I'll keep tweaking it. Somehow... Any suggestion is welcome.
    Last edited by fura; 26-01-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice build fura, look cozy.
    If I can offer you an improvment, move the side large containers as they irritate my "OCD" for symmetry and they distort "the side lines". I would make them as part of the floor and line them up whith the building front side, this way they could also function like landing gear and you will have more open up space on the sides for player movement.

Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    But it seems that placement is pretty much the best, the reactors are out of the way there and the rear is much heavier then the front already. So I think I'll leave them there
    I agree, they look great placed this way ;) .

Also wow, it look like the big air blades are really powerfull, I'm curious what creations could be done whith them . Btw, did you test if the big air blades stacked this way, they all have working thrust? If so, I like them even more.

I am currently waiting on the savegame loading game bug fix, so I could replace air blades whith large ones on my latest and so far biggest build which you can find here when you scroll up a little. I'm curious how it would look and handle whith them
    Last edited by Jimmy; 26-01-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Nice build fura, look cozy.
    If I can offer you an improvment, move the side large containers as they irritate my "OCD" for symmetry and they distort "the side lines". I would make them as part of the floor and line them up whith the building front side, this way they could also function like landing gear and you will have more open up space on the sides for player movement.
    I thought of that already. The problem with that is that the containers are taller than my current landing gear. So I'd have to rework the whole foundation to be able to sink the large containers in. Also I'd have to remove some floating foundation blocks in the process, and that would make it unable to float on water with the blades turned off.
    It doesn't seem based on the pictures but it is quite spacious actually. Removing the front containers, or sinking them in the floor would make the ship feel empty I think.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh, I couldn't see that well at the pictures, that's a pity.
    But don't worry, I got another idea ^^. You can move them even more to the front, right next to the reactor and integrate them into the build so they would replace your current second blades holding frame. I think they would fit there nicely.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see what you mean. But than I'd have to move the reactors to somewhere else. I'll consider that. But I too have an idea. Its a bit different approach I think I'll try both tomorrow and share the results, so y'all can judge

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think (and want) that you have to move the front reactors - they would just be way more hidden, only problem could be that the containers would jut 2 blocks to the center direction, but it may work out .
    Either way, if you use my idea or yours, I'm looking forward to see your next version

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if there's enough space like if I keep the reactors there. I need some room for the conveyors. But if I move the reactors next to the stairs, right behind the front containers - some conveyor rearrangement needed - there would be enough space for everything and the reactors still wouldn't be in the way.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I should also say, as I dont know if we are imagine it the same way, I had in mind that you also rorate the containers vertically, so they would ocuppy only 5x6 blocks on the floor and cover all 3 blades nicely. Then you just create some "roof" on them and job well done .
    Yeah, you would need to rearrange conveyors, thats for sure. But if you rotate the reactors 90, you can connect them nicely. You just have to figure out how to connect the front whith the back as the container has no side connections ports, sadly, and at the fast look I dont see nice way around, maybe build them under the floor and as there is only one block which allow connect conveyor throught walls, etc, I usually work around it by building small container instead and fill up the gaps by armor blocks. You have parts of the floor made from a "line" of roof blocks, so at that place you could easily make a floor conveyor connection
    Last edited by Jimmy; 26-01-2018 at 11:23 PM.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... that looks weird in my imagination But I'll try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've started to rearrange stuff with containers aligned vertically, but that looks even more weird imho, so I havne't fully finished it. Also this approach introduces some difficulties with the conveyors. Here's how it looked (half way done):

Instead of rotating the containers vertically, I moved the reactors to the center and put the containers in front of the greenhouses. I could easily connect them to the conveyor system this way. Not it looks like this - with some experimental decoration on the sides:

Post Thanks / Like
    Been busy with this project, now I'm at v0.7 (v0.5 didn't fly, v0.6 didn't do better either ). Here's the change log:
    - Added 2 large container (it has 6 now)
    - Rearranged switchboards. created 2 main lines below the floor, 1 for general power distribution 1 for the blades. Power lines are now out of sight mostly.
    - Added Solar panels and battery packs for backup energy in emergency situations
    - Added added water pump
    - Reworked the conveyor system
    - Made it larger. Needed room for all the stuff mentioned above
    - Added 4 airblade towers to handle the added weight
    - Added 2 nuclear generators to provide sufficient power for the added blades

I think that's all And now some pictures. Drumroll please

I parked v0.4 and v0.7 right next to each other for size comparsion:

I have a few other screenshots in the imgur gallery.

And finally an observation, some might find it useful. On v0.5 I had only 10 blade towers, but was not enough. So I thought I just add one more blade on top of each tower, but apparently stacking more than 3 just doesn't work. Lifting capability didn't change with that extra 10 blade. It was able to go only a couple of meters high.
    That is why I had to add 2 more towers instead. Which is 4 blade less than my original approach. With this setup I can go up about 80 meters from water level.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I've started to rearrange stuff with containers aligned vertically, but that looks even more weird imho, so I havne't fully finished it. Also this approach introduces some difficulties with the conveyors.
    Yeah, it doesn't fit, you were right, but that is expected as if you built it, you have way more know-how about it

I see you made some big changes till then and in good direction I like it.

On that note, I got some new inspiration, mostly from you, fura. But there are way more ideas included, as always . For example I wanted to use some ideas from DaFuzz and also I started playing Crossout, a Mad Max styled online game, where you build vehicles only from parts of other vehicles, so no 1x1 armor block, slope etc. But when I got use to it, I made some really nice looking and usefull vehicles and I realized I can use the designs in PN too , or at least made similar desings.

While I worked on construction of this my new, well, it isn't air base anymore, it's air monster - I realized I probably can't use all ideas I wanted to, as it was already huge enough. I still don't know if it would fly, but by look at your build fura, I assume it should fly fine, or if not, whith few extra blades it must have to
    So far, it isn't finished yet at all, but most of the main structure frame is done - now I enter to a phase, where I add details, the "invisible" but very important stuff and fine tune the rest of the stuff.
    I just don't build any conveyor connections between blocks, as for now, it will ruin my savegame file and I don't want to lose the time I invested into this. After I made a video, it won't bother me that much if the save get corrupted - I will be disapointed a little but I usually start to make new stuff anyway .

I wanted to build an "Air Fortress", I even want to make some kind of rampart, it is there in some form, but there just isn't enough space for proper fortifications and the result was unclear anyway.
    Instead I dediced to build something for fun, for example, the two "tunnels" which I bet draw you attention immediately, they are there just because they look great, they have no real purpose and also they occupy a quite a lot of space.

Main features are: two floors whith a closed indoors - 1st floor should be an "living room" and 2nd will be a technical floor; one heliport at the back, some space to park wheeled vehicles at the front - whith a new idea I got for boarding ramp, it should be able to compensate any terrain easily (so far only in theory) and I want to put there as many decorations as I can devise and fit onto this fortress. I like the look of the cables which "hold" the wide part of air blades . Even I am curious what decoration stuff will come to my mind and would fit into this monster.

I got a little bit carried away whith the number of screens, but how else I should show "every conner it has" and the look it has whith different types of illumination

Sooo, enjoy some preview screenshots: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...view=imagewall

Video of completed build will come later, "Joking: if devs won't relase new patch that will screw my another savefile again ".

PS: you can also see on few screens my mining air vessel, which travel at 50km/h, has 6 large containers and miners, 8 3D printers and 4 refinerys. I build it mainly because I know how much massive amount of material I will need for the construction of the Air Fortress, specially T1 frames and plates and I don't want to waste time by moving ores anywhere, while I will have access to the produced items anywhere I go.
    Last edited by Jimmy; 31-01-2018 at 07:11 AM.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow, I started to consider mine as a monster, but it is just a tiny bug compared to your beast It has some really cool features. I like chairs

I'm curious how it will look like when completed. Keep us posted

BTW, I play Crossout too, its fun game. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play it lately :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Dual biogen flyer.I call it the mule. has 4 chests, 8 fans and lights. Each biogen handles one side. Easy low tech design.Played with the coloring option.

https://youtu.be/BfG6x_K85YE

Post Thanks / Like
    So far this has been my most successful design:
    AirBladeTruck MkI.jpg

I could get better storage/weight ratio by using the small containers (seriously, how does that make any sense?), but these are faster to add and remove. With the large containers I can ascend to a bit over 80 meters and maintain about 79 kph as long as I press the spacebar. I created my current planet before there was an option to increase the diameter, so I am not sure how high it could go on bigger planets.

Removing the containers makes it quite easy to flip over, but if I am carefull, I can eventually get it go up to 105 metes high and reach 82 kph.
    I think I can make go even faster by timing the over flipping just right and stabilize the flying craft in near vertical position, but in order to know how fast it then moves, the speedometer would need to display more movement vectors than just the cockpit's front to back axis.

Before that I tried to build a shuttle:
    Shuttle MkI.jpg

I made some bad mistakes in it's internal structure design, but even after trying to figure out an optimal cross-section layout by creating 2D blocks on Draftsight and trying all kinds of variations with them, I finally had to accept that until I have gathered resources to at least quadruple the size of the shuttle, it can't hold enough airblades inside it make up for the weight of the outer layer.

I later tried to replace the upper airblades with two large airblades, but I think I just made it even slower and as a bonus it became unable to descend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JAAHAS View Post
    So far this has been my most successful design:
    AirBladeTruck MkI.jpg

I could get better storage/weight ratio by using the small containers (seriously, how does that make any sense?), but these are faster to add and remove. With the large containers I can ascend to a bit over 80 meters and maintain about 79 kph as long as I press the spacebar. I created my current planet before there was an option to increase the diameter, so I am not sure how high it could go on bigger planets.

Removing the containers makes it quite easy to flip over, but if I am carefull, I can eventually get it go up to 105 metes high and reach 82 kph.
    I think I can make go even faster by timing the over flipping just right and stabilize the flying craft in near vertical position, but in order to know how fast it then moves, the speedometer would need to display more movement vectors than just the cockpit's front to back axis.

Before that I tried to build a shuttle:
    Shuttle MkI.jpg

I made some bad mistakes in it's internal structure design, but even after trying to figure out an optimal cross-section layout by creating 2D blocks on Draftsight and trying all kinds of variations with them, I finally had to accept that until I have gathered resources to at least quadruple the size of the shuttle, it can't hold enough airblades inside it make up for the weight of the outer layer.

I later tried to replace the upper airblades with two large airblades, but I think I just made it even slower and as a bonus it became unable to descend.
    Huge construction.Large fans are slower. Large fan equals about 20 small ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started a new survival save, so I have new small flier. I call it the Humble Bee:

I didn't checked how high it can go exactly But it can reach 72 kph. It has 5 small containers, 4 right behind the cockpit, I use these to store gathered stuff and there's one at the rear, which I use to carry around useful stuff - some food/water, bandages, and resources in case I need to build something basic on the way.
    It has 14 batteries, separated in 2 groups of seven. You can see the slightly different coloring of the groups on the first image. Both group can fully power the flier on its own. I have one group switched off the grid while using the other group to fly around. This way I won't get grounded far from base even if I forget to watch for battery capacity. I just switch on the other group and fly home
    One group of batteries is enough for a quite long trip. I can fly around for 2 game days, excluding the night (I slept, it was too dark for exploration).

Post Thanks / Like
    So now I really gotta ask...

...it's obvious how you know the speed of a design but where the *BEEP* do you find the height it's at? Is it just too obvious for me and my brain decides "nah cannot possibly be that easy!"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eventually the altitude will be displayed in the cockpit or the helmet's HUD, but for now you have to place a small beacon at the water level, ascend as high as you can and then fly towards the beacon and check when the distance starts to increase again.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow, I started to consider mine as a monster, but it is just a tiny bug compared to your beast It has some really cool features. I like chairs

I'm curious how it will look like when completed. Keep us posted

BTW, I play Crossout too, its fun game. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play it lately :/
    Soo, tomorow I will finally have some time to play PN, so I hope I will finish this Bigboy

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's really big, so it take a long time to polish all details and ofc I got new and new ideas as time goes. But I could modifying it forewer, so I will just add last floor and finish it off.
    I addew new screenshots from construction, the last ones for now are whith parked craft at the "heliport". The only question is how I will hold the parked craft while flying the big beast.

Sneak peek: ... more at the my Steam gallery

Last edited by Jimmy; 12-02-2018 at 11:21 PM.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's really impressive, it truly is a beast Would be nice to see a video about how it flies

one question. How do you use the vertical blades mounted to the "heli"? You just hold space to keep them pushing forward? Or you have some control over it?